PDA

View Full Version : Anyone goes to SOLO2 events?

EVO-HACHI
02-12-2004, 12:10 AM
If you are one of those EVOs that attend SOLO2 events (in S.Cali region), what is your car's suspension set up? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Temjin
02-12-2004, 12:24 AM
SCCA solo 2 is a boring. Compared to tracks, it feels like a "Drive Trough". There really isn't much sensation driving through cones at 35-60 mph for 1 minute intervals.

EVO-HACHI
02-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Well I also go to track events (used to) and I felt like not that many fast drivers are there. Personally SOLO2 requires more skills than at tracks. I think that I see more fast drivers at SOLO2 than those track events and usually they are also fast on tracks too.

Temjin
02-12-2004, 01:27 AM
At the last autocross, I was disqualified for having a passanger in my seat. I decided to never go to autocross again.

EVO-HACHI
02-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Oh well...So any EVO owners into SOLO2?

drmosh
02-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Well I also go to track events (used to) and I felt like not that many fast drivers are there. Personally SOLO2 requires more skills than at tracks. I think that I see more fast drivers at SOLO2 than those track events and usually they are also fast on tracks too.

You must be going to the wrong track events!

Chris in SD
02-14-2004, 07:15 PM
I autocross out here in VA. It's definitely a skill-builder, just at low speeds. It will teach you where the Evo pushes and where it will step out. I currently have the stock suspension except for Cusco strut bars front and rear. I autocrossed on my Advans and they held up great. Tire pressures make a big difference, so it's important to try different pressures until you get the right one for your driving style. Another advantage is that it teaches you some serious threshold braking skills and trailing throttle. I plan on stepping it up between track days and autocrosses this year... Good luck!

Chris

drmosh
02-14-2004, 08:19 PM
I autocross out here in VA. It's definitely a skill-builder, just at low speeds. It will teach you where the Evo pushes and where it will step out. I currently have the stock suspension except for Cusco strut bars front and rear. I autocrossed on my Advans and they held up great. Tire pressures make a big difference, so it's important to try different pressures until you get the right one for your driving style. Another advantage is that it teaches you some serious threshold braking skills and trailing throttle. I plan on stepping it up between track days and autocrosses this year... Good luck!

Where's yer S4?

EVO Neil
02-14-2004, 08:46 PM
SCCA solo 2 is a boring. Compared to tracks, it feels like a "Drive Trough". There really isn't much sensation driving through cones at 35-60 mph for 1 minute intervals.

The voice of inexperience has spoken. What you learn by pushig your car to the limit autocrossing transfers to the track, except at higher speeds. Typically autocrossers are still really good when they go to a track while track only drivers are only okay at th lower speeds. As the saying goes, if you can't do it very good at the lower speeds, you won't really be that good a the higher speeds.

Chris in SD
02-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Where's yer S4?

I love my Evo too much - so I cancelled the S4... Still saving for an '08 GT-R, though.

Temjin
02-15-2004, 11:24 AM

The voice of inexperience has spoken. What you learn by pushig your car to the limit autocrossing transfers to the track, except at higher speeds. Typically autocrossers are still really good when they go to a track while track only drivers are only okay at th lower speeds. As the saying goes, if you can't do it very good at the lower speeds, you won't really be that good a the higher speeds.

I am bitter for getting disqualified :cry: . BTW-there really isn't much practice unless you go to the Preliminary practice rounds.

robi
02-15-2004, 11:29 AM
When I go I only do the practice... that's what I want.. skills which transfer to the track...and you need runs to get the practice...IMHO

EVO-HACHI
02-17-2004, 03:56 AM

You must be going to the wrong track events!

I've been going to SpeedTrialUSA. I don't believe this is an wrong event as far as I know (actually none of event are wrong to go). BTW, I felt like this site is just to criticize one's opinion eventhough I thought this is a place where you can share an experience and knowledgeat the same time. I believe there shouldn't be any comments unless it is needed. Thanks.

EVO-HACHI
02-17-2004, 03:58 AM

I agreed with Neil.

EVO-HACHI
02-17-2004, 04:00 AM
When I go I only do the practice... that's what I want.. skills which transfer to the track...and you need runs to get the practice...IMHO

I believe that practice is the only way that you can gain driving skills. Are you planning to go to championship anytime soon?

EVO-HACHI
02-17-2004, 04:03 AM

Chris

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. BTW, what are your tire pressures?

Chris in SD
02-17-2004, 03:00 PM
It completely depends on the surface quality and the ambient temp. Usually we get 4 runs during each session, so I use the first one to memorize the course and find my best line. By the second run, I'll see where (or if) I should shift and how my grip is doing. Before the 3rd run, I'll adjust pressure (if I need to). Usually my third run has been my best. (I beat the BMWCCA champ to take 2nd in my last Auto-X)

The other suggestion is to find out what the more experienced guys are running and try their tips. I ran 32psi once (pretty low), but had tons of grip, so you have to be willing to experiment. Personally, I like more pressure to get really good turn-in at the expense of overall grip. You just have to find what suits your style.

Chris

EVO Neil
02-17-2004, 03:52 PM
You should have been at Qualcomm stadium this weekend for the pratice on Saturday and the competition on Sunday. Their were five or six Evos driving over the two day period. I attended both days, but was competing in another vehicle. During the fun runs at the end of Sunday Alfredo I got to ride as passengers in Ted's Evo (thanks Ted) for three runs, it was kick ass! One guy was running in a streeet-prepared class and their were two in the stock class. One guy who was there on Saturday for the practice, only drove on Saturday and did not return on Sunday. The A-stock Evos seemed to be competitive in their class.

lagcisco
06-20-2005, 01:04 AM
What other groups besides Solo2 do autocross in LA and OC in SoCal?

Evo RS-T
06-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Solo2 and track driving both have their place. I started out with Solo2 and progressed right into wheel-to-wheel road racing. "Back in the day" there really weren't accessible track days like there are today. SCCA's Solo1 program required road-racing prep levels, so it didn't make sense for me at the time.

My time in Solo2 taught me a lot, and although the "track time" is limited, so are most of the associated costs to participate. One doesn't require more skill than the other - just different skills, many of which are transferable.