PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Used XS-Engineering?

prosailortim
02-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Ordered 264 cams thru XS-Engineering last week. I've been thinking of maybe letting them do all my mods. I'm going the whole route, DP, HF cat, exhaust, cams, cam gears, boost controller, AFC, stand alone ECU.

Can anyone elborate on their quality of installation work and tuning? I been to RMR, they can't get the parts (been trying for 2 months) and don't do custom tuning, just reflash of ECU. Dynamic Autosports pricing is OK, but left their shop not feeling confident they could do the job.

I want to stay in the Orange County area for my tuning needs. But before I drop lot's of $$$$ with XS-Engineering.... I would like to hear from someone who has done bussiness with them. Thanks for your help.

ZENTRAEDIevo
02-13-2004, 02:05 AM
XS Engineering!! the best shop ever!!

We use there dyno and services all the time. Very good mechanics and the top tuners in the country. Top notch service!!

DSport Magazine Approved!!

Robbie.

prosailortim
02-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Robbie, thanks for the reply. I had the same feeling after taking a tour of the facility. Hope to meet up with you guys at one of your meets someday. I travel alot and race sailboats professionally, so I'm not in town very often.

Thanks again mate.

EVO Neil
02-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Prosailortim - I have but one request,bring the Cup back to America!

GokuSSJ4
02-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Toda racing uses XS engineering for tuning their Evo ,
Also my friend has pass experience on tuning with XS and nothing but good remarks with the Apexi FC standalone ecu .
He told me , "Just make sure the older japanese guy does it loll " he knows how to tune . They mention his name on the article in Import Mag went they had the Apexi Evo tune there. Just can't remember his name.

Chris in SD
02-13-2004, 01:43 PM
XS Engineering is a great shop. They collaborated with RMR and Technosquare to do some development work on my car when I was still in Cali. They had my car for over a week, but I didn't mind... I got to drive the Advan Evo that week. :lol:

GokuSSJ4
02-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Chris what work did you get done by them ??
Im currently looking for them to tune the Apexi Power FC d-jetro with an EBC .... as soon as i get my hands on it :) its in back order ....

ZENTRAEDIevo
02-14-2004, 01:26 PM
We work very closely with XS Enginnering for tuning of all of our magazine project cars... 765whp GTR R33, 400 civic, etc...

they have lots of experience with the power fc on there evo and my evo is actually there right now and we just installed the HKS Fcon V Pro. That is also a really good system look for a full article in our mag, DSport www.dragsport.com. Eric and Koji are very good tuners they will make your car real fast =P

Robbie.

GokuSSJ4
02-14-2004, 06:28 PM
HKS Fcon V Pro

can you post more info on this please ..

ZENTRAEDIevo
02-14-2004, 08:19 PM
the HKS Fcon V Pro is a Engine Management System that is just like a Power FC or Motec etc.. but instead it runs of the stock ecu to control all the "other" functions like idle, ac, and all that junk... great sytem to use, very user friendly for the tuners, and japenese tuners have been using the fcons in japan to tune all the high horsepower cars...

www.hksusa.com

i will post more info after we do our testing on the product for the mag.. dyno graphs and all from a stock evo with just the fcon and tuning..

thanks.

Robbie.

GokuSSJ4
02-14-2004, 11:03 PM
doesnt control boost ? or is it like the Apexi power FC , which runs boost to the ecu spec ? which for best results a EBC is recommend it ..

ZENTRAEDIevo
02-15-2004, 02:24 PM
i would recommend with either the power fc or the FCon V pro to use a electronic boost controller for maximum performance.

IS2000
02-15-2004, 09:25 PM
My friend's customer had his EVO built at XS. The car has HKS cams/camgears, XS FMIC, Power FC, etc. Runs very strong. Great work from them.

GokuSSJ4
02-15-2004, 10:37 PM
oh ok , what would you guys recommend for a EBC ??
Some have said Blitz , i personally like the HKS ...

ZENTRAEDIevo
02-16-2004, 09:17 AM
i would go anything hks or apexi.. my personal favorites..

cas909
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey pro, I had my evo tuned by XS, let me tell you bro, that they ARE the shit. Talk to Reggie, he is really helpful and freindly :!: They installed some things including the power fc and tuned it. they have two tuners there one is Eric Hsu(owner) and the other guy is Koji which is the one who tuned my evo. the magazines were using Eric for there tuning. But Koji is a VERY good tuner also. I DO RECOMMEND THEM!!!!!!!!! I will never let any other shop even look at my car let alone work on it! Im taking my car back there to get cams, fmic, small battery kit,hi-flow cat and retuned. BTW your $$$$ is very well spent with them. XS-ENGINEERING ROCKS!!! :worthy:

leaveit2bevo
02-21-2004, 09:56 PM
how much was your power fc and tuning?

GokuSSJ4
02-21-2004, 11:12 PM
from XS engineering i was quote for the Apexi power FC 950.00 without commander. (if you plan to do yourself the tuning then i would recommend the commander) if you dont then let XS handle everything and you save yourself 300.00
for tuning accordinly to them is 2hrs of tuning (which they charge 200.00 hr for tuning) so thats 400.00 + to tune cam gears 75.00 + hook up fee 40.00
it comes around 1475.00 for everything + the boost controller that they recommend .

cas 909 what gains did you see with the Apexi FC w/ boost controller ???

prosailortim
02-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been dealing with Reggie in sales. My Evo is going to XS-Engineering this Thursday for my upgrades and tuning... Thanks for the info once again.

GokuSSJ4
02-22-2004, 02:14 PM
do they have the Apexi Power FC in stock now !!????

prosailortim
02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
GokuSSJ4,

I'm getting my Apexi FC w/o commander for right around $830.00 dollars. Do some shopping around and have them match your lowest price that you find.

Reggie ordered my Apexi FC last week, I think he was ordering a few extra for their inventory.

The Emperor
02-23-2004, 10:38 AM
can xs tune your car with S-AFC? that power fc sounds awesome but it's too much money.

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2004, 11:08 AM
GokuSSJ4,

I'm getting my Apexi FC w/o commander for right around $830.00 dollars. Do some shopping around and have them match your lowest price that you find.

Reggie ordered my Apexi FC last week, I think he was ordering a few extra for their inventory.

where are you getting the FC for that much ??
Please let me know since thats my next upgrade ...

prosailortim
02-23-2004, 11:28 AM
GokuSSJ4,

That's the price XS-Engineering quoted me. I'm spending about $5,600 with them, so maybe I got a better package deal on that unit.

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2004, 12:21 PM
can you get me that price ??
i have the cash for it :cool: and we can meet up there at XS ..

cas909
02-24-2004, 08:20 PM
XS dynoed my car at 270 to the wheels, so its at 320 at the flywheel w/ the power fc & boost controller+255 fuel pump,700cc injectors,jic ti exuast,hks downpipe,modded k&n pipe w/ hks filter,hyperground voltage and earthing kit and tomei cam gears. It drives,feels,and idles better than stock, did I mention pulls harder too!! My MAF was removed and swiched to speed density, so your intake pipe will need to be extended so it doesn't hit the IC piping. I will see better results once i get cams,hi flow cat, a bigger intercooler with a retune. XS is the only authorized dealer in socal that can even sell and tune the power fc with some sort of power excel software which cuts the tuning time in half if not more. If you notice it takes Vishnu like over 100 dyno pulls to tune. I like XS because they are down to earth and will not do a half ass job!!! About the s-afc, im sure they will tune it for you, i just dont know how much they would charge or if it requires your car to get on the dyno. i went with the power fc because i didnt want to tap into my wireharness The tuning capabilities are far more greater than the s-afc. I recommend just to save up and go with the power fc, it will be better in the long run and you will be happier with the results. Good luck anyway you decide to go.

leaveit2bevo
02-24-2004, 09:51 PM
270 is kind of low for those mods isnt it? this is the second time ive seen a relatively modded evo make poor numbers.

GokuSSJ4
02-24-2004, 10:40 PM
so you went with the D-jetro , how much did they charge you to install the d- jetro and tune the car ???
Im thinking of going with the L-jetro (which keeps your MAF )
and have XS tune it ....
Also with the HKS EVC boost controller ....

cas909
02-24-2004, 11:55 PM
I thought it was kinda low too but it pulls hard and its reliable. i was charged like 750 for installing the power fc and tuning. they have a hook-up fee that I included in the price. Yes I went with the d-jetro.

leaveit2bevo
02-25-2004, 12:00 AM
It could be the dyno because it seems most people are into 300whp will those amount of mods, it does seem a little to expensive to go with the fc the ems can be got for 1500 but I dont know about tuning. I think a lot of people have had success running the buschur safc which I may research.

GokuSSJ4
02-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Robi is running the Buschur SAFC with a dyno flash , to be able to switch maps back and forth from the street to the track . Honestly his set up is sick and very impressive .

I want to know cas 909 what made you choose from the D-jetro from L-jetro ..
Im still debating if to keep the MAF or to remove it . Also whats that a flat rate that they gave you to install all of that ..
An how much also to install the injectors and pump ??
were they able to to everything in one day or do they kept your car a bit longer ???
I know some many questions lol but this is something i have been looking for since is my next mod , which is a must ...
i hope i break 300whp since i have a bit more then you but we will see...

cas909
02-26-2004, 08:59 PM
I am also looking to put out about 400 hp one day!!! I went with the d-jetro because its not restrictive as having the maf. the tuning capabilities are so much better. they actually kept my car for 2 weeks. i wanted them to do a good job and not rush them. when they went to tune it they ran the injectors at 100% so, thats when i had to go bigger and they didnt have them in stock at the time. i paid $56.25 for them to install the injectors and i cannot find the installation price for the pump,i wonder if thats including the pump. they charge $75.00 an hour for installation,$200.00 an hour for tuning w/45.00 hook-up fee. hope this was helpful. like i said before ,money very well spent with them!!! good luck

leaveit2bevo
02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
isnt running with no maf really dangerious? there is no safety percausions to keep ur engine from blowing

cas909
02-26-2004, 09:16 PM
thats why the power fc has a lock on it and XS is the only ones that can mess all the tuning,(its all in the tuning and in the tuner). because they dont want to be responsible for you blowing your car up. my car runs better than before and believe it or not i get alooootttt better gas milage?!!! :shock: its unbelievable!!!! it only took less than 1/4 tank from XS to my house in san diego and i hit traffic really bad!!!

leaveit2bevo
02-26-2004, 09:35 PM
probally cause they leaned out the fuel mixture, our cars run so rich from the factory thats why our bumpers are covered with black shit around the exhaust.

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2004, 12:29 AM
glad to know , but damn 2 weeks lol and i thought 3 days was a lot ........

blurr
02-27-2004, 12:58 AM
I wish Robi would go over to XS and dyno his car there.

I should point out that I dynode my car at XS the Thursday before the last Thunderhill event. My car has a generic 91 octane ECU flash, Downpipe and exhaust.

I dynode 272whp on 100 octane

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2004, 01:01 AM
what was your based??
also highflow cat or stock ?
what boost and also tq ...

blurr
02-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Never got a base run, this was the first time my car saw the dyno.

I don't have any way of changing boost. So stock boost. Stock Cat.

The only sheet they gave me that shows torque is the one that estimates flywheel hp/tq and the readings were.

315hp/298tq

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2004, 01:10 AM
i see so with the flash all they did was mess with the air/fuel no bumping the boost ??

blurr
02-27-2004, 01:11 AM
it holds the boost longer but can't raise it. All the boost reading are in Kpa, and have to be wrong as it says I had 232.2Kpa.

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2004, 01:12 AM
oh i see so 19 all the way , regarless does are great #'s for the amount of mods that you have ...

leaveit2bevo
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
XS dynoed my car at 270 to the wheels, so its at 320 at the flywheel w/ the power fc & boost controller+255 fuel pump,700cc injectors,jic ti exuast,hks downpipe,modded k&n pipe w/ hks filter,hyperground voltage and earthing kit and tomei cam gears.

My car has a generic 91 octane ECU flash, Downpipe and exhaust.

Ouch am I missing something?? blurr is putting 2whp more than the first guy with all those mods sounds like the tuning didnt go to well or the first guy got a friday engine.

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
its almost the same set up ... expect that he is runing no MAF ....
An has a EBC ( but boosting almost 2psi more ) also remeber that Evos dont put out the same HP . they can be different from 10-15whp..

Chris in SD
02-27-2004, 03:24 PM
I wish Robi would go over to XS and dyno his car there.

I should point out that I dynode my car at XS the Thursday before the last Thunderhill event. My car has a generic 91 octane ECU flash, Downpipe and exhaust.

That sounds about right. When RMR dyno'ed my car there during ECU development, it made about 280 with DP, catback, ECU flash and intake. I am guessing I am a little over 300 now. I will find out March 20th... Of course I'll post the results to make Rich feel all warm and tingly.

drwn kix
02-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Maybe Robi and I could do this together for a package price. We have been talking about it. My car is all RMR except for SAFC and MBC which are Buschur. I have Buschur numbers in the SAFC and I want to dyno it. It feels fast, I would guess about 300 hspr on 93 octane.