PDA

View Full Version : Silicon hoses VS. Aluminum Pipe kit??

han74j
02-14-2004, 04:18 PM
sup all what r some the pros and cons between the 2. Silicon hose the heat wont get into it that much right? Aluminum pipe will be more heat related.

FastCarsAre4Me
02-14-2004, 10:45 PM
I am wondering the same thing because if there is no performance difference then i dont see any reason to buy the aluminum pipe.

han74j
02-15-2004, 03:58 AM
yup anyone have any ideas?

Chris in SD
02-15-2004, 05:27 AM
With the aluminum hardpipe kit, you have less bends, plus less areas for the piping to pop off. The silicone kits are just a substitute for the stock flex sections. I have the silicone radiator hose kit and the aluminum hardpipe kit, so I know of what I speak... :wink:

kaisho99
02-15-2004, 09:15 AM
any hard pipe kits out that fit the k&n typoon? i fear it maybe too new just yet though :cry:

drwn kix
02-15-2004, 12:05 PM
With the aluminum hardpipe kit, you have less bends, plus less areas for the piping to pop off. The silicone kits are just a substitute for the stock flex sections. I have the silicone radiator hose kit and the aluminum hardpipe kit, so I know of what I speak... :wink:
Don't kid yourself, the shape of that rubber is very important. Convoluted pipes don't flow for crap. I once had a motorcycle that could not be tuned for top end with the stock convoluted air cleaner connection. When I replace that with a piece of properly bent radiator hose with the same inside diameter, all the problems vanished. (It started breaking the transfer gears to the clutch.)This is a 1960's story but the underlying principle applies.
I have an AEM short ram myself but I wouldn't hesitate to use Aluminum or Silicone as long as it was smooth with nice tangent bends . :lol:

Chris in SD
02-15-2004, 12:30 PM
We run the same hardpipe, my friend. :)

Secret Chimp
02-17-2004, 11:01 PM
If I follow his story about the motorcycle carb correctly, I believe darwin kix was referring to the pipe between the turbo inlet and the air filter and not the intercooler pipe set.

SC~

perversity
02-18-2004, 12:09 AM
I just got the Unorthadox hard-pipe kit. It eliminates a substancial amount of pipe because of the new routing. Making the piping shorter, with cleaner bends, allowing the air to flow faster and with less resistance, seems to be the main advantage of these hard-pipe kits.

I guess you save a little weight as the aluminium is lighter than the rubber.

It doesn't balloon when under pressure either. I guess if you wanted to be really purist about it you'd wrap your I/C piping in thermal wrap to keep the high external engine temps from heating up the "cooled" air in the I/C piping.

As far as just putting on the silicone I/C connectors on the stock piping, it would eliminate the expansion under pressure, but I don't think it would be as good an upgrade as a hard-pipe kit when you look at money vs performance gains.

Product review and install pics to follow shortly (don't sabotage this thread asking for them, be patient).

drwn kix
02-18-2004, 12:48 AM
If I follow his story about the motorcycle carb correctly, I believe darwin kix was referring to the pipe between the turbo inlet and the air filter and not the intercooler pipe set.

SC~
Actually I am making a generalization about all pipes. Accordian like hoses cause a tremendous amount of flow resistance. They also upset the harmonic pulses which travel up and down the pipe. The example I was giving was a pipe between the carb and the air cleaner.

FastCarsAre4Me
02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
http://www.dejontool.com These guys sell an upper intercooler pipe for $125 with alot of bov flange options.

han74j
02-20-2004, 02:25 AM
thx fast cars nice web site

GokuSSJ4
02-20-2004, 02:32 AM
Im thinking on runing the RMR kit , since it doesnt required a mini battery kit . Does it come with also with silicon hose ? or do you have to buy them ?
drwn kix
next meeting (since you live in SD )
i want to check out your set up since after ecu upgrade thats next on my list :cool:

Chris in SD
02-20-2004, 06:42 AM
The RMR kit comes with everything you need - all connectors, bolts, piping, etc. It's a little tricky, but if you have a lift, it's not too hard. I just let them do it - another advantage of living a block away from them.

augi1
02-20-2004, 09:08 AM
The RMR kit comes with everything you need - all connectors, bolts, piping, etc. It's a little tricky, but if you have a lift, it's not too hard. I just let them do it - another advantage of living a block away from them.

But WOW about $850-875 with tax & install seems ALOT.

GokuSSJ4
02-20-2004, 09:25 AM
RMR kit is abit price lol , also how does it compare to the Ralli Art one or even HKS ?? Do any of those kits required a mini battery , since that what it seems to be the issue ...

drwn kix
02-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Im thinking on runing the RMR kit , since it doesnt required a mini battery kit . Does it come with also with silicon hose ? or do you have to buy them ?
drwn kix
next meeting (since you live in SD )
i want to check out your set up since after ecu upgrade thats next on my list :cool:
I actually circulate between Riverside and Rancho Santa Margarita. The RMR intercooler pipe kit does not include a MAF pipe. RMR sells a nice one but I bought mine from AEM. Can't use the plate furnished with the AEM with the RMR upper intercooler pipe. The AEM air cleaner is really crammed into the engine compartment so that it touches the battery, hood and water fill pipe. Trim the insulation on the hood and it won't tear up the air cleaner. My Buschur won't fit without a custom spacer so I am planning on doing that soon. I modified the stock intake snorkle so that I could use it with the Intercooler pipe. :D :driving:

GokuSSJ4
02-20-2004, 12:25 PM
what about runing it with an after market FMIC , were they be any issues . I havent decided what intake to run , but most likely it will be the APS cai . Since it appears to be stock :cool:
Wonder if they will be any fitments issues .....

drwn kix
02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't think it is possible to run a stock air box with the RMR piping kit. You can't even put in the snorkle without carving it up. The beauty of my SAFCII is in that I can remove it in minutes, with all of its wiring. Also if you buy it from Buschur it comes with settings for your car. Finally, you can run two different maps for different pressures or Octane.
Reflashes make more and better power and are invisible but have only one setting.