PDA

View Full Version : anyone using test pipe on their evo?

rizalhoo
02-18-2004, 11:30 AM
hey just wondering if anyone using test pipe (straight pipe) on their evo for daily use? I was about to get a test pipe since I know they'll unleash lots of hp once the stock cat is removed but I dont really wanna get problem/issue with the cops and everything.

just because im shooting fireballs out of my exhaust and get fine ($1500) for removing the stock cat since its illegal to do so. that's what I heard from my friend and thats the reason I changed my mind on the test pipe.

is that true? anyone using test pipe w/o getting any attention from the cops? since the sound of the exhaust will be very LOUD not to mention about the smell....

Coolguy949
02-18-2004, 11:32 AM
I had one for a few weeks then took it out in fear of getting robbed for more donut allowance. The ticket actually can cost up to $3000 bucks. $1500 for the fine plus if they impound your car (which they can do) for 30 days at $30 - $50 per day.

HUGE difference when you take it out. :x

BOVBILLY
02-18-2004, 11:42 AM
My question is this.

IS THE CAR THAT LOUD?

rizalhoo
02-18-2004, 11:43 AM
LOL...thats what I thought rob :D :lol:

Coolguy949
It's not that loud, but that's not why you get pulled over. It's the smell.

Anonymous
its a bitch thinking about cat deletes, i run it on daily basis, but im carful because i dont push hard when shifting...so a cop would not know the difference, anyways i try to stay away from cop as much as possible :)

BOVBILLY
02-18-2004, 11:46 AM
OR YOU CAN CUT A CAT IN HALF, THEN WELD IT AROUND YOUR CAT DELETE PIPE!

drwn kix
02-18-2004, 12:24 PM
My question is how much power does it add. Personally I will always run mine on the street. Is it worth it to take it off at the track?

GokuSSJ4
02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Courtesy of RRE.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/tweekerparts/hitempresonator-side.JPG

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/tweekerparts/hitempresonator-through.JPG

rizalhoo
02-18-2004, 01:04 PM
ive seen that somewhere anyhow so is that a high flow cat (coz it looks like it) or is it a test pipe that looks like a high flow cat? anyhow will that eliminate the smell that test pipe will produce?

alfredob1
02-18-2004, 01:09 PM
It's a test pipe that looks like a high flow cat. The white stuff is just heat shielding material or something similar.

GokuSSJ4
02-18-2004, 01:14 PM
no it will not eliminate the smell , just to show that you have a rally cat :wink: instead of a test pipe ..

BOVBILLY
02-18-2004, 01:22 PM
So that is not a cat? But to the untrained eye, like mine, it looks like one. But does the same and smell the same?

alfredob1
02-18-2004, 01:30 PM
It will smell unless the car is off.

BOVBILLY
02-18-2004, 01:36 PM
does it smell like a car at the track, pure burnt gas.

So can a cop really tell when he pulls you over?

rizalhoo
02-18-2004, 02:06 PM
does it smell like a car at the track, pure burnt gas.

So can a cop really tell when he pulls you over?

i think by just standing behind the car you can smell the gas smell...(funny smell)

and i think yes a cop can pull u over for that since it is illegal to take the cat converter off the car

GokuSSJ4
02-18-2004, 02:21 PM
i know an Evo member got pulled over (several reasons )
One was the smell and the other the way the car sound it .
The cop new that it had been modify , but gave him props for it ..
So im sure if you are at a stop light and a cop gets beside you ( near the exhaust ) they can smell the difference on it ...

BOVBILLY
02-18-2004, 02:24 PM
That sucks!!!!

GokuSSJ4
02-18-2004, 02:27 PM
some have claim 10-15whp , but unless you are tracking the car . Is not worth it IMO ..

rizalhoo
02-18-2004, 02:31 PM
some have claim 10-15whp , but unless you are tracking the car . Is not worth it IMO ..

yup, for a 10-15whp IMHO its not worth taking the risk of giving some extra allowance on donuts for those cops...we're talking about some serious $Ks fine (yikesss) :pissed:

DocMortal
03-02-2004, 05:06 AM
Honestly guys I never heard of a cop pulling you over for smell,now lets say he pulls you over for something else,smells the exhaust gas, looks under the car sees the fake cat. He cant really do anything if he asks you can say the car is running rich,and if he gives you a fix it ticket then just put your OG one back for inspection...

My buddy has ran for 8 years with no cat on his cobra,never had any problems and that thing is loud...We get more hate from cops though :( .

No cop sticking his snout around the car will get down on his knees and start taking the exhaust apart for fake cat,as long as it looks like a cat from the outside your good to go. There other issues enviroment etc but I will have both fake high flow cat and a real UR high flow....

Im getting a 3inch downpipe built by RRE and fake 3 inch cat with flanges done next week hopefully :)

GokuSSJ4
03-02-2004, 10:14 AM
yeah but the issue can be if he suspects anything then he can give you or send you to the test only ref .....:?

han74j
03-02-2004, 11:21 AM
kinda sux for us since we have turbo timer..... but if somehow we can turn off teh turbo timer, just turn off ur car right whne u r pulled over.... im sure the smell will be gone once the cop gets out of his car no way of him knowing u have a cat delete!!

rizalhoo
03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
if thats the case, get the RRE cat delete then since it look just like the stock cat or ok more like a hi flow cat but the cops wont know... anyhow IMO thinking of the $3000 fine that could be given still it is too risky though :(

EDIT: i mean it is too risky for a mod that produce only 15-20whp unless it unleash like 30-50whp LOL which doesnt make sense hahhaahah

rizalhoo
03-02-2004, 12:13 PM
one other thing, i live like 10 mins away from a sheriff department and meet cops everywhere around my place, im just afraid when at stopping for the red light and a cop in a bike is behind me, for sure he'll notice the smell and bang-she bangs just like williamhung LOL

leaveit2bevo
03-02-2004, 01:10 PM
The box the RRE rally cat is in acctually says high flow cat but it has a little imprint that says for rally use only but its so small the bacon wont see it, you could always change it out for inspection.

ItsStockOfficer
03-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Theres no 3000 dollar fine for not having a cat. All you have to do is insist the car does have a cat and they have to send you to a ref to judge. And even so, no big fine. Thats myth. I have known people who have gotten cat tickets.

mprtklr
03-02-2004, 09:34 PM
..sorry to bust your bubble...

C.V.C 43008.6 -- (b) The state board may collect a civil penalty not to exceed one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) for each violation of Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code. Any penalties shall be paid to the Treasurer for deposit in the Air Pollution Control Fund.
(c) The civil penalty specified in subdivision (b) may be
collected for one or more violations involving the tampering with or disabling of a gasoline-powered vehicle's air injection, exhaust gas recirculation, crankcase ventilation, fuel injection, carburetion, ignition timing, or evaporative control system, fuel filler neck restrictor, oxygen sensor or related electronic controls, or catalytic converter, or for the use of leaded fuel in a vehicle certified for the use of unleaded fuel only.

mprtklr
03-02-2004, 09:39 PM
HOWEVER -- they cant tow your car.

No person shall operate a vehicle after notice by a traffic
officer that the vehicle is not equipped with the required certified motor vehicle pollution control device correctly installed in operating condition, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle has been properly equipped with such a device.

they can only tow your car if requested by the AQMB

27159. Any uniformed member of the California Highway Patrol may
order a vehicle stored when it is located within the territorial
limits in which the member may act if requested by a representative
of the State Air Resources Board to remove the vehicle from service
pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 44011.6 of the Health and
Safety Code. All towing and storage fees for a vehicle removed under
this section shall be paid by the owner.

Pops
03-02-2004, 10:57 PM
..sorry to bust your bubble...

(c) The civil penalty specified in subdivision (b) may be
collected for one or more violations involving the tampering with or disabling of a gasoline-powered vehicle's air injection, exhaust gas recirculation, crankcase ventilation, ...

And if your exhaust system isn't California Air Resources Board Approved (CARB), they can make you put the stock exhaust system back on, take off boost controllers, ECU interceptors (xede etc...) cams, cam gears, any aftermarket modification they find while climbing all over your car.

The may try to justify their jobs. After all, you are completly wiping out entire species daily because of your mods and threatening life's existance on the planet :shock:

That's why companies like HKS go to great lengths to get CARB approval.

All that being said, your statistical chances of getting caught if you act normal and stay within the pack are probably pretty close to nil

What did Clint Eastwood say - " Do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?"

ItsStockOfficer
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
right, when was the last time anyone you have ever heard of was fined 1500 for a smog violation? My point is that with a missing cat, like anything else, they send yout oo a ref. A cop is NOT qaulified to assign a 1500 dollar fine, he has to have your car inspected by a referee to do anything. All a cop can do is force you to see one.

moogle
03-03-2004, 01:12 PM
one other thing, i live like 10 mins away from a sheriff department and meet cops everywhere around my place, im just afraid when at stopping for the red light and a cop in a bike is behind me, for sure he'll notice the smell and bang-she bangs just like williamhung LOL

10 miles north of me CHP;10 miles south of me police department. BAHAHHAHA I love my place, @least its secure :P .

Anonymous
03-03-2004, 01:18 PM
some people dont care if their running a test pipe cuz it sounds good, and gains hp, plus some even like the smell of gasoline :drool:

A cop on his bike the other day was behind my ass but didnt notice a smell (must of been high) but it all depends on the cop....all i know is they are looking for people who cause trouble, drive like shit, or drive insane and make enough noise to scare the shit out of pedestrians walking on sidewalks :twisted:

GokuSSJ4
03-03-2004, 02:15 PM
right, when was the last time anyone you have ever heard of was fined 1500 for a smog violation? My point is that with a missing cat, like anything else, they send yout oo a ref. A cop is NOT qaulified to assign a 1500 dollar fine, he has to have your car inspected by a referee to do anything. All a cop can do is force you to see one.

if that , a friend of mine got send to the ref (other reasons besides test pipe ) all he did was paid the fine whic was 400.00 and skipt the ref , that way he kept his car from changing a bunch of things .
Now i dont know if the law has change or is a bit more strict now ...

QuickShifter
03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
I ran catless on my wrx, and that was three cats i took off, it was loud, it smelled and it backfired like a bazooka,but cops never said shit, i got pulled over in it many times after flooring it and they didnt say shit about the exhaust.that was for 6 months

Now i run my evo catless and its not even half as loud as the wrx was(boxster engines sound great catless), and it doesnt smell that bad at all, idle sounds like a normal exhaust but when you floor it you can hear the rumble unleashed!!! I think 15whp is around what the test pipe produced

559EVO
03-03-2004, 06:34 PM
going on 3 years with my Supra running a test pipe,no problems at all.

rizalhoo
03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
ughhh....making me feel like taking the cat off :( should I or shouldnt I ?

Pops
03-03-2004, 11:36 PM
ughhh....making me feel like taking the cat off :( should I or shouldnt I ?

Take it off, put it on. A system set up for a cat and test pipe takes a driveway, a high curb and 10 minutes. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't act like a fool in the car, you're not going to get hasseled.

han74j
03-04-2004, 12:05 AM
gereerere some guy just told me he got a ticket for cat delete........ 1300 fuck thats a clutch right there!!!!! cam/camshaft, exhuast, dp, and cat almost.... its making me 2nd guess if i should get a cat delete gererererereerererer