PDA

View Full Version : Help me people...i just bought my EVO and i need advice!!

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-23-2004, 12:08 AM
what would be the first mods you guys would advise like in order?? cuz all ive ever driven were integras and rsx...and ive got the money to spend...help me out fellow EVO drivers????

ReHeat
02-23-2004, 12:11 AM
turbo timer, alarm, oil catch can, boost gauge, ground kit... after that you can start with the power/handling mods.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-23-2004, 12:16 AM
what about the power mods??

rizalhoo
02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
full Exhaust system turbo back, intake, bov (if u planning on rising above the stock psi level or if u just like the 'whooosshhhh" sound :lol: ) boost controller and an air fuel controller or get the ecu re-flash that'd even better :)

anyhow i just bought this ground kit from a fellow evo owner at evom, he sold me for $40 shipped but i dont have time and dont know how to install it so if u interested on getting it, I can give it to u for $40 shipped (just want my money back) if not thats aite :)

559EVO
02-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Go to Vishnutuning.com for all your power needs!

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-23-2004, 12:55 AM
i think ground kits are useless...atleast in all my other cars they have been...whats makes them so usefull in the EVO??

Chase101
02-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Turbo timer is definitely a must as well as a boost gauge. As far as power is concerned you're going to need a turbo back exhaust no matter what your end power goal is. I think the biggest decision power wise is whether your going to do a ECU reflash, AFC, Vishnu Exede, or EMS. That decision is going to have the biggest affect on what other parts you buy.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-23-2004, 01:12 AM
thanx guys for ur help

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Turbo timer is definitely a must as well as a boost gauge. As far as power is concerned you're going to need a turbo back exhaust no matter what your end power goal is. I think the biggest decision power wise is whether your going to do a ECU reflash, AFC, Vishnu Exede, or EMS. That decision is going to have the biggest affect on what other parts you buy.

ok chase...which out of the reflash, afc, exede or ems would be the best choice with respect to gaining the most power or the most efficient engine-wise for the EVO??

robi
02-23-2004, 04:42 AM
check the sig...NO one thinks my car is down in power...
http://www.speedventures.net/event_results_db.asp? evo4fun is the Buschur/RRE car

Chase101
02-23-2004, 06:51 AM
ok chase...which out of the reflash, afc, exede or ems would be the best choice with respect to gaining the most power or the most efficient engine-wise for the EVO??[/quote]

To tell you the truth, I'm still trying to find out myself. Right now I have an HKS turbo back exhaust, full RMR intake, and an AVO BOV, and I'm trying to decide what's next. I've heard and read that EMS (like the AEM EMS) is not really for the novice tuner (which would be me). I've also heard that you don't use an intake with the Vishnu tuning (I may be wrong about this one). So for me it's between using an SAFC-2 and a Boost controller or one of the reflashes. Of course my WHP goal is to reach between 330-350whp, and then go all out suspension.

The Emperor
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
may i suggest taking out your stock tires and buying another set. get anything that lasts 35k miles or more. you don't want to waste those expensive advans. they only last up tp 15k.

BOVBILLY
02-23-2004, 10:39 AM
TYPE IN CAPS AND YOUR CAR WILL GO FASTER!

Anonymous
02-23-2004, 11:19 AM
may i suggest taking out your stock tires and buying another set. get anything that lasts 35k miles or more. you don't want to waste those expensive advans. they only last up tp 15k.

what tires did you have in mind? Honestly why change the tires? cuz you got to use them some day, Advans are inexpensive, if i was to change my tires id get P Zeros's or whatever thats 9 inches wide and are 18's with high grip traction for all weather roads...(Aftermarket tires will always be more expensive unless you have hook ups, but me for example, i want better tires then the advans....so i have to spend alot more money on my new wheels etc...)

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:50 pm** *Post subject: 5k for mods...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at the upgrade path from the other end of 17k, I thought I would share some hard learned ideas:

Upgrades! It is a bit overwhelming on this car. With all the crap out there, you need to seriously have an upgrade path and begin with the end in mind.

I don't see how you can get there with only 5k

Before you go crazy though trying to go faster with mods keep the following in mind:

You probably will have more fun and be faster if you spend less on mods and invest in racing school!

As an alternative for 5k:

1. Go to a cart school and do at least a weekend program or two. You will be amazed at how much you can learn about real world physics on the track. $500

2. Go to racing school $3k

3. Get in as many track days as you can. $1500

Smoke everyone who hasn't done this...

At that point maybe start spending money on mods. I would do the suspension and brakes first but at some point you get to your motor.
Figure a target torque and hp you realistically want and then get several shops opinions on the most reliable cost effective way to get there.

Fyi, be careful of what you ask for... most people are not up to an honest to god 450+ hp car! 600 is absolutely nuts unless you got some serious experience/training or are just drag racing and then it is still crazy a bit...

You will run out of money long before you get there in any case most likely.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but if you are just interested in reliable power I will suggest the following upgrade path to consider for starters:

reasonable priced full 3" turboback exhaust +10-20 HP $700
intake +$200
fuel injectors $500
fuel pump $130
Intercooler and hardpipe kit- 5-8 hp mostly better heat capacity for the motor and a slight inprovement in spool $1300

Some means of tuning: flash, piggyback ems etc. $400-$2300 with the sensors.

Once you get those, go to a good tuner with and get them to tune it. Don't cheap out and save a decent amount of money for tuning it properly. Figure $500-$1000

Wait until you are done with your mods to save money!

Some of the kits out there are all around 5k for moderate performance and not a bad alternative. Those upgrades should put you solidly into the 330-380 at the wheels.

Btw, Don't forget that you will have to up to a grand or so to the above costs to get all the stuff above installed...

Work with a shop you trust who isn't just trying to sell you and tell him what you want... he may have a different path for you. Your choice in a shop is crucial btw...

You are nuts imo going to get your car tuned by a shop 3000 miles away. Tuning is a process and you will not be able to do it over the phone on an ongoing basis. Cars need maintenance, things break and you end up working with a local shop whether you want to or not.

As an alternative, you could always move!

BTW, if you are totally crazy and want more power and have money to burn, you got another 5-8k to add before you are done with a turbo, intake manifold, aem or other stand alone and a significant outlay of time, effort and money for tuning... If you are still not done you add the internals and stir...!

I am sure that there are others who will offer a cleaner path and I can tell you that the only thing I know is that I don't know everything. I do know that learning how to drive your evo is the best investment you can make.

BTW, If you somehow get to big numbers and learn to drive, you will find really need an extra 4k for the big brake kit and 2k for your suspension...
The point is to map out things logically and don't believe everything you read on evom...

As a final thought, you might want to start saving now that $1800 or so for the new clutch and flywheel you will need after you finish giving your car all that power.

my 2 cents

Mark has explain it the best ...

leaveit2bevo
02-23-2004, 11:40 AM

The advans are good but many have switced to cheaper tires and liked them better, kill the advans then if you have to cash run R-compounds if not run the falken azenis.

Anonymous
02-23-2004, 11:42 AM

The advans are good but many have switced to cheaper tires and liked them better, kill the advans then if you have to cash run R-compounds if not run the falken azenis.

How much did you get the azenis for?

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-23-2004, 02:17 PM
im runnin pirellis on mine and i think they're great! my buddy has the azenis and personally i like the response on the pirellis, thats just my opinion.

The Emperor
02-23-2004, 05:51 PM

i have around 15k miles on my evo and the tires are already bald. i'm getting cheaper ones tomorrow. 400 bucks for a set. i forogt what brand but i know they're made in japan. suppose to last me up to 50k miles. i kinda regret not saving the advans for autocrossing. i know they're good tires and i know they're hella expensive (like 200 a tire). so cheaper ones will do until i save up for racing tires.

Takashi
02-23-2004, 05:58 PM
im runnin pirellis on mine and i think they're great! my buddy has the azenis and personally i like the response on the pirellis, thats just my opinion.

which pirellis?

leaveit2bevo
02-23-2004, 07:46 PM

How much did you get the azenis for?

I got them for 119 a tire.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
02-24-2004, 01:03 AM
the pirelli zeros bro