PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Should I do it?

Takashi
02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
sorry, but now i'm officially 'that guy'
i usually don't like it when people come on these boards and say 'NEED HELP: should i buy this-or-that part or car?!??!?1'...
but i'm truly in a dilema!
as some of you know, i have been in the market for an evo for the past month or so. i've crunched the numbers a bit, and here's the thing, with my current trade in (less the debt i owe of course), i can pay roughly the same monthly payments as my current wrx, but over two additional years.
now, i'm in my mid twenties, i dont have much savings, but i also have NO debt except my car.
if you guys were in my shoes, would the additional 2 years of car payments be worth it? also keep in mind that since i'm trading in my car after only having it for a year, i'll be taking a pretty big hit on it.

well, that's it... just looking to see if you guys have any comments on my situation that i haven't considered yet.

thanks!
greg

QuickShifter
02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Honestly, if you want a modified, hooked up personal car, than keep the wrx and put money in it, because even though a stock evo handles amazingly and is an all around super performer, you will get tired of the stock power, and if you cant afford to hook itup and you start to, lets just say debt will become a common word

Howie
02-25-2004, 12:03 PM
that's true. it's pretty hard to leave the evo stock...

Takashi
02-25-2004, 12:21 PM
see i know the wrx has potential, but to get it any where close to the performance of a stock evo would cost alot of money, and in the process void the warranty... and dont worry, i've gone down the mods=debt road, and that wont ever happen again. :)

anyhow, thanks for the quick responses so far!
greg

ReHeat
02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Depends on what you see you'll be doing in 2 years. If you plan on getting a house or something like that, I wouldn't get a new car right now. But if you don't see any big change in your life style in the next 2 years, then by all means get the Evo.

augi1
02-25-2004, 12:28 PM
You have to take into account where you will be at the end of you original (wrx) loan and could you affort to pay off the loan. I did something similar a few years ago and was able to pay it off in the original loan period (paid cash for the extended year) due to getting a higher paing job and with yearly raises.

augi1
02-25-2004, 12:29 PM
I had no big life changes like a house but more credit card debt. :)

rizalhoo
02-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Honestly, if you want a modified, hooked up personal car, than keep the wrx and put money in it, because even though a stock evo handles amazingly and is an all around super performer, you will get tired of the stock power, and if you cant afford to hook itup and you start to, lets just say debt will become a common word

Depends on what you see you'll be doing in 2 years. If you plan on getting a house or something like that, I wouldn't get a new car right now. But if you don't see any big change in your life style in the next 2 years, then by all means get the Evo.

Agree with both QuickShifter and ReHeat :)

and YES definately its hard to own an evo and keep it stock...its too tempting to do that :)

Aaron
02-25-2004, 01:04 PM
I feel the same way as you Takashi but w/ different circumstances.
I've been saving to buy a condo but the housing market is just ridiculous right now so instead, I'm thinking of taking a little of my savings, selling my Impreza and buying an Evo.
Only problem is that I don't have any car payments and the thought of having monthly payments puts me off.
That and I know if I get the Evo, I'm going to want to start going autoxing and tracking it and that's going to be $$$ as well..

rizalhoo
02-25-2004, 01:10 PM
....That and I know if I get the Evo, I'm going to want to start going autoxing and tracking it and that's going to be $$$ as well..

when u get an evo that is what exactly my point!

Takashi
02-25-2004, 01:47 PM
thanks for the replies everyone...
it's really a tough call... i keep telling myself that i'd be perfeectly happy with a stock evo, but for some reason i doubt that would be the case.
anyhow, i know that what it comes down to is whether i'm willing to take on the additional debt. problem is, deep down i konw that the fiscally prudent thing to do would be to hold onto the car until it's paid off, then think about getting an evo (or whatever else is out there at the time), and that really, the stupid thing to do would be to get the evo right now. but it's one of those things that i really want, and it's very doable...
and yeah aaron, housing prices right now suck, but think about it, if pricing starts going down, the interest rates will start going up, so either we're fucked, either on the sale price side or the interest rate side... doh! it's best to save up and get into the market as early as possible...
greg

leaveit2bevo
02-25-2004, 03:21 PM
heres the bottom line the wrx is no where near as good a platform as the evo. Many guys who came from 300+ hp wrx's said that the evo is a way better platform.

Takashi
02-25-2004, 03:29 PM
heres the bottom line the wrx is no where near as good a platform as the evo. Many guys who came from 300+ hp wrx's said that the evo is a way better platform.

that's another thing that weighs heavy on my mind...

akara1
02-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, i had a WRX that i traded for an Evo, because of the amount of money it was gonna take get the wrx where i wanted it. If you think about it, the Evo comes with Brembo brakes, nice wheels, a solid turbo, and the list goes on. I decided it was worth it. If i kept tried to get my wrx to perform nearly as well as the Evo, it would have cost a huge amount.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Takashi
02-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Well, i had a WRX that i traded for an Evo, because of the amount of money it was gonna take get the wrx where i wanted it. If you think about it, the Evo comes with Brembo brakes, nice wheels, a solid turbo, and the list goes on. I decided it was worth it. If i kept tried to get my wrx to perform nearly as well as the Evo, it would have cost a huge amount.

Thats just my 2 cents.

so do you regret it at all...?

moogle
02-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Just go for it. Its hard not to be in debt so might as well go for it and just keep on paying monthly payments.

Takashi
02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
moogle: i like your advice!!! :)
i'm VERY tempted to just go in and do it....

drmosh
02-25-2004, 11:08 PM
As a wise man once said "regret what you have done in life, not the things you never did..."

Chase101
02-25-2004, 11:34 PM
If the payments are going to be roughly the same, I would definitely do it. Also, if you're anything like I was before I finally bought my EVO, this decision is probably haunting your every thought night and day. Don't do that to yourself man. If you can afford it and you really want it, go get it.

leaveit2bevo
02-26-2004, 12:11 AM
As a wise man once said "regret what you have done in life, not the things you never did..."

Its the other way around for sure.

akara1
02-26-2004, 12:37 AM
I never regret it at all. The Evo is in a completely different class than the wrx.My friend has a highly modded wrx with a turbo upgrade, coilovers, etc.. and i still prefer my car over his.

Dont get me wrong the subaru is a good car, but the Evo is what the Sti should have been. No regrets at all here.

drmosh
02-26-2004, 12:38 AM

Its the other way around for sure.

True, could be either way.

Takashi
02-26-2004, 10:40 AM
... this decision is probably haunting your every thought night and day....

whoa, so true!!! my gf is also trying to persuade me against gettting it. she thinks that i shouldn't...

anyhow, drmosh, did you previously spend time over on i-club (the old iclub), because your SN seems very familiar.

so i thinks i'm going to go down to HB this weekend if i can find time...

greg
oh, and thanks again everyone... i'm definately keeping in mind everything you guys are saying!

drmosh
02-26-2004, 10:45 AM

whoa, so true!!! my gf is also trying to persuade me against gettting it. she thinks that i shouldn't...

anyhow, drmosh, did you previously spend time over on i-club (the old iclub), because your SN seems very familiar.

greg
oh, and thanks again everyone... i'm definately keeping in mind everything you guys are saying!

Yeah, I'm one of the original members of i-club and nasioc... my member number is below most of the moderators on NASIOC!! ~2000

One of my friends didn't buy an EVO because his girlfriend told him not to, he finally woke up and DUMPED HER!! That's right... now he's getting an EVO.

Takashi
02-26-2004, 10:57 AM

greg

Yeah, I'm one of the original members of i-club and nasioc... my member number is below most of the moderators on NASIOC!! ~2000

One of my friends didn't buy an EVO because his girlfriend told him not to, he finally woke up and DUMPED HER!! That's right... now he's getting an EVO.

:lol: maybe i should direct my girlfriend to this thread then... :D
anyhow, yeah, my memno over there is around 2500, so i know what you mean... i still like the forum, but like most forums, it's being overwhelmed by flame-freaks.
oh, well, still great info for subys!