PDA

View Full Version : different metals in various grounding kit

inline4g63
02-26-2004, 12:09 AM
I saw the lineage grounding kit on sale for only 70$ at vividracing and so I decided to look into it. Well, all that was in the description was that it was made of 4 gauge thick wires, oxygen free, soldered ends, and platinum tips. Well, the platinum caught my attention. We all know that copper has the highest electrical conductivity. Since the site didnt say what it was made of (except the platinum ends part) I emailed them. They told me that it was made of stainless steel and that it was as conductive as copper. I didnt believe that statement of equal conductivity. WE all know that copper is the most conductive metal (behind silver). Steel is a mixture of different metals, and I did a search. I found out taht a mixutre of metals will reduce its conductivity. THis made sense. I was also interested in the other grounding kits and this is waht I found out.

HKS=8 gauge thick wires, gold plated wires (?? not sure whats inside, im guessing copper)

Sun Hyper ground system = ?? gauge thick wires, copper wires

Lineage (mentioned above) = 4 gauge thick wires, stainless steel wires, platinum tips

After researching the conductivities of metals I learned:
COpper 100
GOld 65
platinum15

not sure what steel is, but I saw somewhere being around 15 as well, or even lower.

Anway, Does this seem correct? Does this mean that I should go for the copper wiring of Sun? HKS has copper too, but since its plated with gold, it is a mixture and thus bad for conductivity.

Also, if anyone knows more info, please fill in the ??question marks??

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 12:23 AM
It doesn't matter if they're RUBBER, it will all add the same power.

rizalhoo
02-26-2004, 12:26 AM
rubber? LOL

inline4g63
02-26-2004, 12:27 AM
SO u are saying that the material doesnt matter?

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Yes, I am saying the material is irrelevant.

drmosh
02-26-2004, 12:40 AM
nice bling, zero function

Blak94GSX
02-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Sean, wut up foo

heh I think this is the first thread about grounding wires that actually contains factual information!

grounding wire kits are actually a performance reducer since they add weight and don't affect the power. I'm gonna sell a "synthetic lightweight hypergrounding kit" 80% less weight than those other "inferior" kits. Nylon rope with some crimped on Eyehooks should do it. Available in 8 different colors too! I'll even throw in a CARB exemption sticker.

It will go nicely with the "hypergrounding fluid" kit that Crock already offers. He has it in Mountain Spring, Distilled and now Low Sodium!

han74j
02-26-2004, 01:29 AM
i think ground kits wont help that much if u just have it by itself.... i have it right now with the k$n intake.... not much of difference on my car, may be pulls a little harder on high end... its when u have 300-350+ i think it will make a big differences!! its all about placebo man!!!

ReHeat
02-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Just make a 4 gauge grounding kit yourself, it'll cost you no more than $15, and it'll be custum fit to your car and probably look better too. The grounding kit will not add to the factory claimed horse power of the car. It will simply bring the car to a more optimal operating spec. In the Evo case, I noticed the car idles smoother, and the head lights are a bit brighter.

drmosh
02-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Just attach a lightning rod to your car and a chain that drags behind yer car... that'll make sure the ground is always ON!

BOVBILLY
02-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Go With the Hyper Ground from Sun. They are the original people who designed it!

Blak94GSX
02-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Okay, I take back what I said about accurate info now...

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Han: No, it doesn't add power at any power level.

Reheat: It was in your head.

Scot: Why you lurking around my Evo boards :twisted: Hehe, just kidding. Yeah, we should bring in CRock and Brad to have a discussion of extreme grounding technology. Have you seen the thread on EvoM where Brad talks about grounding kits? Its 4 pages ofEVO owners getting made to look like morons....

ReHeat
02-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Reheat: It was in your head.

Many people on Evom have noticed the smoother idle after they put in a ground kit. Do you have a ground kit in your Evo? If not then I don't think you're in the position to say that.

kaisho99
02-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Just get one from Abusivewombat (love that name!) over at Evom.net, 40 bucks.

He makes them and does a bang up job of crimping them all nice, exact lengths, supplies a bolt for the tranny hole and gives you a nice set of photo instructions for us n00bs. 2 thumbs up!

Blak94GSX
02-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Scot: Why you lurking around my Evo boards :twisted: Hehe, just kidding. Yeah, we should bring in CRock and Brad to have a discussion of extreme grounding technology. Have you seen the thread on EvoM where Brad talks about grounding kits? Its 4 pages of EVO owners getting made to look like morons....

I'm not real sure. I was asked to help out, but I'm thinking things are beyond help.

It is like watching "The Three Stooges", both entertaining and painfully frustrating at the same time.

leaveit2bevo
02-26-2004, 12:43 PM
The ground kits do smooth things out but I never believed that they added power.

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Scot: Why you lurking around my Evo boards :twisted: Hehe, just kidding. Yeah, we should bring in CRock and Brad to have a discussion of extreme grounding technology. Have you seen the thread on EvoM where Brad talks about grounding kits? Its 4 pages of EVO owners getting made to look like morons....

I'm not real sure. I was asked to help out, but I'm thinking things are beyond help.

It is like watching "The Three Stooges", both entertaining and painfully frustrating at the same time.

Its ok, we can try. Some of the faster guys(The ones without ground kits ussually) even PM me and thank me on occasion.

If I spent money on 5 dollars in wires Mitsu would have added from the factory if they did anything, I'd claim they smoothed my idle too.

Cares to tell me how they affect idle?

Blak94GSX
02-26-2004, 03:24 PM
The way I see it, the starter motor draws up to 500 amps of current when you hit the key, so if the grounds are good enough to start the engine, they are probably fine for the 10 amps of current the engine uses when it is running.

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Unless you have spals....then multiply normal idle amperage draw by 3...

ReHeat
02-26-2004, 04:56 PM
If I spent money on 5 dollars in wires Mitsu would have added from the factory if they did anything, I'd claim they smoothed my idle too.

Why didn't Mitsu add these few dollor worth of wires? Because they want you to buy their Hyperground Cables from the dealer for $219.

BOVBILLY
02-26-2004, 05:01 PM
I can get them for $100..00

Blak94GSX
02-26-2004, 06:07 PM

Haha, indeed

I had to get the alternator hot-wound to keep the Spals from sucking tha battery dry at idle!

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 06:24 PM

Haha, indeed

I had to get the alternator hot-wound to keep the Spals from sucking tha battery dry at idle!

How much did that run you?

ItsStockOfficer
02-26-2004, 06:26 PM

Why didn't Mitsu add these few dollor worth of wires? Because they want you to buy their Hyperground Cables from the dealer for $219.

Um, I garuntee you have a smooth running well reviewed car means more to them then tring to gain some retail profits off of 1% of Evo owners, be serious now. They don't have them becuase the car has plenty of amperage available.

ReHeat
02-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Um, I garuntee you have a smooth running well reviewed car means more to them then tring to gain some retail profits off of 1% of Evo owners, be serious now. They don't have them becuase the car has plenty of amperage available.

The factory car does has plenty of amperage and runs smooth. But during cold start and regular idling of your car, the idling is smoother after the ground kit is installed.

Well, just debating on the internet doesn't prove anything. How about you do a test by installing a ground kit in your Evo and see if the cold start/regular idling is smoother than before. Maybe you can prove all the Evo owners that have ground kit in their car wrong.

Blak94GSX
02-26-2004, 07:09 PM
[quote="ItsStockOfficer"]

How much did that run you?

$135 at Smog Pumps Unlimited in Whittier. Includes 90 amp regulator.

ItsStockOfficer
02-27-2004, 12:02 AM

The factory car does has plenty of amperage and runs smooth. But during cold start and regular idling of your car, the idling is smoother after the ground kit is installed.

Well, just debating on the internet doesn't prove anything. How about you do a test by installing a ground kit in your Evo and see if the cold start/regular idling is smoother than before. Maybe you can prove all the Evo owners that have ground kit in their car wrong.

I don't have to prove that re-painting your Evo orange smoothes idle eithier.

ReHeat
02-27-2004, 12:22 AM

LOL, case closed :lol:

leaveit2bevo
02-27-2004, 12:26 AM

but you wont know until you try ;)