PDA

View Full Version : Test drove Acura TL today...

dpardo
03-02-2004, 05:57 PM
This morning I test drove an Acura TL and an RSX.

First the RSX...

It was an RSX-S with 200hp but it felt extremely (painfully) slow compared to my EVO. I revved it up to about 7000RPM to see if it had a little more oomph on top but sadly, no.

Next, the TL...

First, it looked very nice inside and out. The instrumentation was a little odd with the blue lights but not too bad. It was very nicely equipped, very luxurious.

I felt the car was very solid. The steering/handling was lousy compared to the EVO. The power felt adequate (270 hp). It seemed comparable to a Nissan Altima 3.5 (also an impressive car but strange interior styling)

Obviously, I am a performance lover so I am very biased. After having the EVO for about 4 months now, most cars feel sloppy by comparison. I guess if I was after a luxury car I would consider it but I would probably look for something that had better steering feel. Also, the clutch was very difficult to release smoothly. I don't know if they're all like that or it needed adjusting. The NSX clutch works great; I don't know why they didn't use a similar one.

Damn it, the EVO has me absolutely spoiled! I don't know what other car I would buy right now if I had to. The performance per $$$ standards bar has been raised significantly!

drwn kix
03-02-2004, 06:11 PM
I have a lot of miles in an Altima 3.5 and 2.5. I used to like them. Driving an EVO makes everything else seem, slow, ponderous & boring.

evoguyz
03-02-2004, 06:26 PM
I think the TL's are nice, my girlfriend just bought a TSK and she loves it but I will stick to my EVO.

Takashi
03-02-2004, 06:34 PM
if i may, why were you test driving those in the first place? oh, and just to let you know, from experience, i think it's easier to go from test driving acuras back to your evo than test driving an evo and going back to your wrx :)

dpardo
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
"if i may, why were you test driving those in the first place?"

I was in the vicinity of an Acura dealer and, having recently heard some great things about the TL, decided to check it out (I like keeping up on the competition). Also, I noticed an NSX in the showroom as I drove by and it caught my eye.

The NSX, by the way, is the only other car that I have driven that feels this good. Unfortunately/fortunately, the EVO is superior in performance to my old NSX, AND it has four doors and four seats, half the price, easily upgradeable........unbelievable!

559EVO
03-02-2004, 07:46 PM
I love the blue lights on the guage cluster of the TL.If your looking for a sedan try the G35 with optional AWD.

erioshi
03-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I can respect your feelings about the NSX; it's an awsome car. Before I decided to buy an Evo I had been shopping for for almost a year trying to find a solid NSX at a price I was willing to pay. Once the Evo was released here I was decided. Modding an Evo is a bargian compared to modding an NSX.

The Emperor
03-05-2004, 03:54 PM
the nsx is a keeper. no other car looks as sexy as the mid engine convertible from japan. well except maybe a black SL 55 amg =)

Takashi
03-05-2004, 06:27 PM
i dont know about that ... the body is looking dated. some cars never look dated. like to me, the fd rx7 will ALWAYS look good. i dont know if i can say that about the nsx.

okay, that was ot a bit....:)