PDA

View Full Version : Which guage? Oil Pressure or Fuel Pressure?

kaisho99
03-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Which guage? Oil Pressure or Fuel Pressure to choose to make the Boost and EGT trio is typically preferred? All the package deals give you the choice just don't know which to pick.

I don't recall seeing, or from a search, and discussion as to which one to use if you had to choose and why.

Appreciate any feedback FAST :D as I have to put my order in tomorrow.

BOVBILLY
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
I have Tach, Oil Temp & boost!

alfredob1
03-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Since Billy started it, I also went with an oil temp gauge instead of an oil pressure gauge. But is the pressure gauge a better choice?

BOVBILLY
03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
I don't think so, no reason

evod
03-03-2004, 06:04 PM
unless u have concerns of the stock fueling system(and from a few recent posts...it seems that we may) oil pressure would probably be the one to go first. once you start playing with fuel pumps, injectors, rails, aftermarket fpr's, monitoring the fuel pressure will be of much more importance. keep in mind also that the warning light on the stock guage set is an oil pressure light...when oil pressure is insifficient...the light will go on. however, when exactly the light goes on would b nice to know...since we don't yet know if the light goes on when there's less than 5psi of oil pressure or when there is 0psi oil pressure. but yea...i'm rambling on cuz i'm brain dead at the moment...cheers...

GokuSSJ4
03-03-2004, 06:16 PM
boost. oil psi and air/fuel (available air fuel gauge with aem )
or oil temp....

rizalhoo
03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
i think there is a thread discussing about the gauges in here

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8018#8018

dunno if that helps though :)

Blak94GSX
03-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Personally I think the only 3 gauges you ever need are:

-Boost, doesn't need to be fancy

-EGT, needs to have a settable warning, react fast and have peak/hold, with the probe mounted in the #1 or #2 exhaust runner about 2" from the head

-Water temp, needs to have a settable warning limit with an externally mounted buzzer and/or really annoying light mounted somewhere in your line of sight, peak/hold is nice

Tofurky
03-06-2004, 03:42 PM
oil pressure would be a huge issue too though. I agree with boost/egt/water temp.... but oil pressure should be a must.
Especially on a car made to be driven like the Evo.
It's good to know right away if something catastrophic occurs and you lose oil pressure, (usually by the time the oil light comes on, it's too late) rather than drive home at super low psi, and destroy your turbo, bearings, etc....

fuel pressure is "meh", unless you've upgraded your fuel system, to the point where it might be at risk, even then, you should at least hear that annoying buzzing coming from a walbro unit.

kaisho99
03-07-2004, 08:34 AM
thanks for all the input!

decided to go with oil pressure. seems to be a more critcal value to monitor since i don't have crazy engine mods or anything.