PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel clutch lines!!

han74j
03-04-2004, 12:15 AM
a few questions on these

1. why is the stock so bad that we need to change into these?

2. i dont think i seen any big company ie hks, greddy blabhlabh make these only like vividracing and lancershop make them... so they pretty much the same thing? one is not going to be too different than the other?

3. wtf is a ss stainless steel clutch line vs stainless steel clutch line? whats the difference??

4. not sure..... but please give input on experience, and what u know thx

alfredob1
03-04-2004, 12:20 AM
1. It's rubber and expands. Kinda like a balloon when you blow it up.

2. There's only so many ways to make them. They may use different methods or parts/materials but they are basically the same.

3. SS usually means stainless steel. So a ss stainless steel line is a stainless steel stainless steel line. It's likely a typo.

4. Can't comment.

evod
03-04-2004, 02:15 PM
han, the reason for the stainless steel clutch lines is that there have been many claims of the stock line expanding too much under pressure(when you depress the clutch pedal). that expansion results in a delayed response of the clutch releasing the clutch disc, thus increasing the time between when you step on the clutch and when it actually releases in order to allow you to shift. by using a stainless steel braided line, the expansion is much more limited, as most -4 size lines(that of which will be on the stainless steel clutch line) consists of a teflon inner tube...which itself will not expand very much at all compared to the stock rubber. the stainless steel braiding is there to protect that inner hose, as well as give it additional support(prevent kinks) and increase its resistance to expand even more.

when purchasing from a specific brand...few things to note. the line itself(the stainless steel braided part) is the same from all companies...as they're all bought from Earl's...which is now owned by HolleyPerformance. the fittings, are also all from Earl's...however different fittings and attachments may be used...therefore varying the strength and durability of each of the lines. another thing is the outer coating...some use a rubber/plastic sleeve around the stainless steel to prevent it from damaging other surface when it rubs against it(takes paint off REALLY quick). lastly there's another sleeve that is on the ends of the lines where the fittings attach...to prevent excessive bending which can cause the lines itself to work loose from the fittings. basically if you wanted u can make your own from any earl's shop for about $15-20...i did that for my alltrac before.

lemme know if u need nething else =)

izzy
03-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Power Enterprise actually has it listed in their 2004 catalog. I was surprised to see it, but it's there.

You can get a really good quality clutch line for the Evo straight from a manufacturer, http://www.techna-fit.com/ Best part they're local and it's only $20.00 and they have brake lines for the Evo aswell.

han74j
03-04-2004, 10:09 PM
haha thx izzy u just saved me probably around 10 bucks =0)

evod
03-05-2004, 12:06 PM
quick note about technafit...previous experience with the alltrac club resulted in quite a few failed lines from them(brake lines actually). issues with lines being too short/not tightly crimped causing lines to pull off when people went lock to lock. not saying that they still have the issue now...but if one decides to use their brake lines, or any other aftermarket lines for that matter..make sure you turn your wheels lock to lock to make sure that the lines don't get stressed. i had their lines on my alltrac as well and tho i didn't have those issues...i would say their lines aren't of the greatest quality i've seen. however...they are one of the few dot approved lines =) clutch lines however...blah...probably won't have many issues since i really don't see how someone could mess that kind of job up...but yea...just make sure its sleeved =)

perversity
03-05-2004, 05:37 PM
The ss brake lines make a HUGE difference. I didn't find that much difference with the ss clutch line (I removed the restrictor at the same time). However, it definately has more "bite" now than it did. I understand it's a recommended upgrade if you are getting a stiffer aftermarket clutch.