PDA

View Full Version : oil filter and metal shavings...

gt40
03-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Changed the oil last week before SOW. While getting the powersteering line that got cut fixed, I checked the oil and it was low and had a slight amount of crap in it. Changed the oil again and the oil in the pan was free of metal or stuff. Just to be sure, cut the filter and ouch metal shavings... I am fairly concerned about this because it was only last week since the oil was changed and 2 track days.

Couple of observations: usual mobil one oil but didn't get to mitsu to get a new filter and used a "premium" type called "pure one" looked at the filter compared to another mitsu filter and the flow holes are alot smaller. Hope i didn't starve the motor a bit from inadequate flow(just speculation) because of the filter but in any case I got a visible of aluminum in the filter. The filter was labeled for an evolution btw not just a lancer and looked decent size.
Until someone tells me different I will stick with the mitsu filters I guess.

No smoke etc btw

I am curious how much is normal wear and tear or if there is something wrong... the car has 16k now.

robi
03-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I use Mobil 1 filters too...

robi
03-06-2004, 11:31 PM
and 15 50 for the days I know going to the track...and drop ALL fluids and replace after EACH track day...Oil/Brake Fluid/trans/difs...and check for shavings...

han74j
03-07-2004, 12:59 AM
eah the stock mitsubishi filters r only like 5 bucks each.... migh as well use it. shavings my friends bike had them when he hit over 10ks so.....

i didn't see any on my first oil change but saw some on 2nd.

ItsStockOfficer
03-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Mitsu filter and Napa Gold's are identical and both made by Wix, as far as I know. There similairly priced, but which ever is more convientient....or just Wix for that matter, but I have never seen a wix in the wild, only as relabeled units.