PDA

View Full Version : Target Horsepower: 0

Nynguah
03-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Ok - is it just me, or does anyone think that a lot of our mods are perhaps REDUCING the amount of usable horsepower on the vehicles? With the exception of monster upgrades like turbos, NAWZZZ, and strokers, I'm starting to think that a lot of this stuff is generating some massive HP spike about 5k RPM past fuel-cut, but nothing useful in the daily range.

Case in point - I've spent some 'scrilla' on go-fast goodies (quite a bit actually...) and I still watched a stock evo pull away from me on a freeway onramp (unless of course the silver evo w/Oklahoma plates at the OC convoy is a massive sleeper). I've been saving my money for actual mods as opposed to producing dyno-wallpaper, but if the next dyno trip confirms what I think is happening, I'm going to have to rethink my upgrade path. I know all the sounds the car makes now (whistles and squeaks and rattles) certainly give the impression of speed, but I think they might end up being a distraction more than anything else.

At this rate, I'm going to dump another $5k into the car and wind up somewhere in Scion territory...

-Josh

GokuSSJ4
03-09-2004, 01:08 AM
peak #'s dont mean everything , also the way your power band is can determine or make your car faster then some one with higher hp . For example (not starting anything ) your intake lets say gives you peak hp 5-6 whp but it reduces your bottom end and your TQ . and just for a simple 5-6 whp after 6-7k is it worth it , then some one that makes more mid range .... Its just an example of how peak #''s is not everything but also the way your power band looks and what the product does to it . To gain across the entire power band is always a + instead of loosing or having lower TQ and gaining at high rpms . That can happen , thats why the dyno is always a must , to see what gains you see across the entire power band and not just peak power .....

here is an example what a few mods can do to your car love the way this power band looks across

http://home.comcast.net/~jgtc-nsx/worksdynoaf.JPG

leaveit2bevo
03-09-2004, 01:12 AM
hmm goku are you trying to say intakes are a bad thing?

GokuSSJ4
03-09-2004, 01:23 AM
hmm goku are you trying to say intakes are a bad thing?

ROFL thats why i stated it was an example :lol: it was the easiest thing to explain ..... an no bevo your car is not fast just cause you have an APS intake over stock :wink: j/p.....

leaveit2bevo
03-09-2004, 01:25 AM
hahaha ya I have to justify blowing all that money on a intake

perversity
03-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Ok - is it just me, or does anyone think that a lot of our mods are perhaps REDUCING the amount of usable horsepower on the vehicles?

You're not far off the mark. I went to the dyno this week and discovered that the bolt-ons I had added reduced the power. However, did some tuning with the SAFCII and got much faster spool, more power early on all the way through to red line.

Its worth getting your car tuned/flashed to take advantage of the mods you've added.

GokuSSJ4
03-12-2004, 12:27 PM
im sure you are able to take the advantage, specially with the FMIC that you are runing Tony.
An with adding the pump im sure you benefit on that . Also what does your chart look like . ???