PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pully Install help

han74j
03-12-2004, 12:33 PM
hey sup guys i know its really easy to install the crank pully, just take it off and put it back... gerrere but i dont even know how to do that so can u guys please help?? pictures would be nice =0)

thx

han74j
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
anyone??

robi
03-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Alot of tuners say don't use these... as the Knock sensor picks up the motor harmonics and reads it as detonation...= pulls timeing and adds fuel both bad for HP...

ErroR
03-12-2004, 10:57 PM
I would have to agree with Robi on this one, Don't do it!

trinydex
07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
no problem if you use stand alone right?

NRG
07-11-2004, 02:00 AM
NO, its only a problem if you use underdrive pulleys. The Perrin one is a direct replacement made of Aluminum so its just lighter.

trinydex
07-11-2004, 02:26 AM
is it ok to use them if they are the same diameter but with more holes in the middle?

NRG
07-11-2004, 10:02 AM
There are more holes because to save weight. If you compare the stock one and the Perrin one, you will see a hugh difference in weight. But one thing about the Perrin pulley is that it does not have a groove indentation on the inside like the stock so it WILL eat away a little bit of your plastic cover on the inside. No biggie though....

Dr. Evo
07-11-2004, 07:43 PM
NO, its only a problem if you use underdrive pulleys. The Perrin one is a direct replacement made of Aluminum so its just lighter.
The problem with the knock sensor has nothing to do with underdrive. It comes from the loss of the harmonic dampener built into the stock crank pulley. This causes more vibrations from the crankshaft to resonate into the block. The knock sensor WILL pick these up. Wether or not it enough to cause the PCM to pull timing/boost is another question. All motors develop a detectible amount of "knock" (not detectible by human ears, but by the sensor). The PCM is calibrated to see a certain amount as "acceptable", and reises the red flag to anything beyond it's threshold.

NRG
07-12-2004, 12:57 AM
From what I heard from tuners is because it is underdrive, the harmonics changes dramatically versus the same size ones thus knock is more prevailent.

Knower
07-12-2004, 02:10 AM
The problem with the knock sensor has nothing to do with underdrive. It comes from the loss of the harmonic dampener built into the stock crank pulley.

This man speaks the truth. Absence of the harmonic damper is nothing but trouble on 4g63s in the DSM world. That's why you don't see people replacing their pulley with anything but the stock unit (although I think more recently some pulley's have been made that include a harmonic dampener).