PDA

View Full Version : K & N intake installed with HKS BOV, problems =(

pangaroo
03-13-2004, 04:39 AM
Just installed the K&N intake with the HKS BOV recirc.

First off, the fitment of the Intake seems a bit off. The CF heat sheild is really close to the battery and does not align with the stock intake guide.

Second...the car is stalling bad. When the BOV goies off, it also flutters pretty badly. From what I've read and searched, it seems like this is due to the spring being too tight. So I should be loosening the screw?

My Service Engine Light just went on. Not the Red Check Engine, but the Yellow Service Engine. The car just hit 11050 miles. Not sure if this is BOV/Intake problem related, but it happened right when i test the installs.

Any help would be appreciated. TOo late, need some rest. Ill work on solving the problem tomorrow. Thanks in advance

kaisho99
03-13-2004, 08:38 AM
You need tuning now.

I just got the K&N intake in too and she's stalled twice since the last meet. And idle is a little touchy. I have the stock BOV though. But it needs to be tuned now (flash or SAFC) with all that air flowin in now.

Blak94GSX
03-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I would say put the stock BOV back on to help troubleshoot things. Make sure the intake assembly is sealed between the turbo inlet and the MAF. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere between the turbo and the MAF which at idle the airflow is very low and thus even a small leak will cause problems.

Also, if the BOV is closed at idle the car's idle will not be as stable when the RPM comes down after pushing in the clutch. The BOV is called the Compressor Bypass Valve for a reason. When the car is at idle or low vacuum, the CBV/BOV opens allowing the air in the IC piping to shortcut the turbo/intercooler/mile long intercooler piping, and go straight from the MAF to the upper intercooler pipe just before the throttlebody. This makes it easier for the motor to draw in air at idle. If your HKS BOV is set too tight or is not set up to recirculate, the idle may suffer.

One way to test the BOV is to use a hand vacuum pump with a gauge on it, with the BOV off of the car for thorough inspection. Apply the same amount of vacuum to the BOV nipple that your engine idles at according to your real boost gauge. Then adjust the BOV tighter or looser until the BOV is just barely open at that vacuum level. If you don't have a hand vacuum pump, hook the BOV nipples up to the car and seal off the holes for the BOV in the intake pipe and upper IC pipe, then with the engine idling, adjust the BOV until you just barely see light when putting the outlet part up to your eye.

pangaroo
03-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I talked with Rob, and he let me know his previous setting. I reset it to the exact words, once the screw is against the spring, 1 full turn. I also reset the ECU just in case. The car idls pretty descently now, and no longer stalls, i do see the rpms drop a bit when i let off the gas and let the car cruise to a stop, but otherwise it seems to be holding.

BUT.. other problem still remains..DAMN Service Engine Soon (CEL???) is on. Any ideas here?

Also, the fitment of the K&N is still off. Everything is bolted down as mentioned, so I cant see how it can be off, but the damn thing is too close to the battery.

Thanks for the help guys, if I can't figure out the CEL, ill try and remove the HKS BOV and check again.

pangaroo
03-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah... forgot to ask... now that it seems fine, the bov doesn;t sound like the normal HKS, it flutters quite a bit? When i tighten the screw it idles off, same with loosening? WHich should it be?

Thanks

ErroR
03-13-2004, 03:52 PM
BOV are a pain in the ass, you have to find a happy medium between too tight and too loose to kill the fluttering.

Anonymous
03-13-2004, 03:58 PM
I still have my HKS SSQV sitting here.....waiting for the recirculating kit, when the kit comes, i still need to adjust this bastard, this BOV is a PAIN IN THE ASS, my Other BOV which i gave to BOVBILLY, the TurboXS RFL was easy easy easy to adjust......i dunno, the HKS one is tricky.....

BILLY HOW COULD YOU OF DRIVEN WITH THIS BOV ADJUSTED LIKE THIS? ITS TOTALLY NOT ADJUSTED...

STiTHIS
03-13-2004, 04:58 PM
S-AFC II!!!

augi1
03-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Hey you work out the problem??

I was thinking of putting on the HKS but know thing the greedy type-s would be better.

pangaroo
03-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Well, i figured some interesting out about the EVO. If you flip the MAF over...it gives a check engine light =) One problem solved.

As for the BOV, its working descently. 1 full turn after it began pushing against the spring. It doesnt give the clean HKS sound im used to from supras and other cars.. it flutters, and I cant seem to make it give off a clean sound. If i add pressure, it causes the car to stall. I think there may be a boost leak because the car seems to be loosing some power at high end.

I dunno, I may switch back to stock, but it is still fun as hell to have the BOV going off. It is still pretty loud even though it is recirculated.

GokuSSJ4
03-19-2004, 10:19 AM
thats the down side to this car that the MAF is so damn sensitive ....:pissed: