PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm tune

perversity
03-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Just had my car tuned at Brainstorm. Was able to get a huge improvement on stock. This is with AVO turbo-back, AVO FMIC, K&N Typhoon, MBC @ 19psi, SACFII, Walbro 255lph and UC intercooler piping.

Before you start bashing the #s, I am still running the stock cat, which is restricting the power a fair bit (see the flat line from 6500 - 7000rpm). Others that have similar mods and no cat are making nearer 300.

The baseline is really low because the higher flowing fuel pump and greater air flow was drowning the engine. After tuning it was all good, and the engine is not going to run lean at any point.

boost is at 19psi 'cause any more than that and the timing was getting pulled by the stock ecu. Need a piggy-back or replacement ECU to fix that one.

This was a very conservative tune as I don't want to run into detonation problems. A high-flow cat is probably the next thing on the list of engine mods, to get better flow.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album91/dyno_1.sized.jpg

robi
03-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Nice job! only way to preserve timing is through increasing the octane. mine only boosts 18 on the 91 pump gas if I want to keep the timing.(but I get a few more ponies)

GokuSSJ4
03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
wow !! a difference of 76whp , thats very impressive ...
I need to get my dyno to see where im at ...hehe .
Those are some nice #'s tony .. On the SAFC are you running as closed as Buschur settings ????

leaveit2bevo
03-21-2004, 02:33 AM
wow tony you got a friday engine 193. Roshons evo dynoed at 236 baseline.

GokuSSJ4
03-21-2004, 02:50 AM
here is a question tony , was the base dyno #'s done with all the bolt ons you had with the SAFC with out tuning ?? and the final results show after SAFC tuned ?? Also how much did Roshon charge you for tuning ??????

QuickShifter
03-21-2004, 01:16 PM
wow tony you got a friday engine 193. Roshons evo dynoed at 236 baseline.

obviously theres something wrong though, roshons evo didnt come with over 40 more horses to the wheels, thats like 60-70 horsepower, are u fucking kidding me????

leaveit2bevo
03-21-2004, 01:34 PM
no, was this baseline with your mods tony? Im guessing that somehow his mods reduced power. But I have heard of stock evos baselining at like 180-190 range.

QuickShifter
03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
ya but vishnus dyno consistently shows low numbers, all stock evos show 180-190 whp on there dyno, shiv says that any dynojet will make a lot more power but isnt as accurate as his numbers are

perversity
03-21-2004, 03:10 PM
This is why the baseline was low - pay attention people!

The baseline is really low because the higher flowing fuel pump and greater eair flow was drowning the engine. After tuning it was all good, and the engine is not going to run lean at any point.

On the SAFC are you running as closed as Buschur settings ????

To answer that one, the buschur settings were WAY off for my mods. maybe due to increased fuel flow or something, but having brainstorm tune it correctly got me loads more power and torque low down. Here's the dyno of the different SAFC tunes:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album91/dyno_2.sized.jpg

perversity
03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
ya but vishnus dyno consistently shows low numbers, all stock evos show 180-190 whp on there dyno, shiv says that any dynojet will make a lot more power but isnt as accurate as his numbers are

Brainstorm and XS-engineering both use Dynamic Test Systems dynos from Australia. These dynos are a lot more accurate and consistent than the Dynojet dynos. http://www.dtsaust.com.au/ that's why the numbers from XS and brainstorm look a little lower than some other dynos.

leaveit2bevo
03-21-2004, 03:48 PM
my bad didnt see the fuel pump thing.

GokuSSJ4
03-22-2004, 01:02 AM
i have the article were it shows a stock base line on Roschon's car , which was at 236whp and 239tq STOCK
with the AVO cat back 254.8whp 253.4
with AVO DP (turbo back) 256.0 260.2 tq
with AVO FMIC 259.6 and 269.4tq

erioshi
03-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Nice improvement Tony, The car must feel much better than stock! For keeping the stock cat and running CA 91 you've made a decent jump. Have you CA guys looked into water injection as a method of controlling knock for more timing and bost? It might be something to experiment with considering the octane limitations you are fighting.

GokuSSJ4
03-23-2004, 09:34 AM
the WORKS WI kit looks interesting, but spraying water to the engine :? besides the benefits of runing at lot lower temps can they be cons to this ????????

Blak94GSX
03-23-2004, 11:33 AM
The higher the intake temps, the more benefit you get from proper water injection. The stock FMIC does a decent job of cooling down the intake charge enough to not see a noticeable difference on the butt dyno. If you were to turn the boost up to 28PSI and boost for 30 seconds or more at a time then water injection would have a big benefit on the top end.

Water injection is great for rally and/or road racing with smallish turbos and intercoolers where it is easier for the coolers to become heat-soaked and thus ineffective. In drag racing where the boost duration is extremely short, there is no real benefit, and in street driving where the speeds are high enough to provide adequate intercooler airflow and fairly short boost durations.

Water Injection has a few downsides, mostly related to implementation. If the jet fails or the solenoid sticks open, it is possible that water will puddle up in the intake manifold and hydrolock the motor, shattering some rods. If the car is tuned to really use the water injection system and the water injection runs out of water, you have a potentially dangerous level of knock. If the water injection system is used when the intake temps are not high, the motor will make less power due to the water taking up space that air/oxygen would normally take up. There is a pretty fine line between the oxygen reduction and the benefits from in-cylinder cooling.

I think unless you MUST run a low octane fuel because of restrictions in a particular racing class or whatever, water injection isn't worth the added complexity. Just go to a higher octane fuel to control the knock. There are many benefits of keeping the set up as simple as possible at all times. Stock the engine management is complicated enough. The last thing you need to do is add more complexity.

Coolguy949
03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
my bad didnt see the fuel pump thing.

yeah man......throwing in just a walbro 255 without a way to decrease the fuel will kill the performance on the car and even kill your plugs in no time.

Tony's baseline #'s really aren't comparable with a stock evo.

GokuSSJ4
03-23-2004, 12:18 PM
i guess the walbro killed the performance that much :?
I can not imagine what bigger injectors will do...

QuickShifter
03-23-2004, 01:19 PM
His car is probably running way to rich, but he says roshon tuned it and then got those numberS???? weird

Coolguy949
03-23-2004, 06:20 PM
When you stick a walbro 255 in the stock evo, it will run really rich because the high pressure of the fuel the FPR needs to clamp down harder to keep the pressures down. some type of fuel management or altered ECU variables will fix the problems. You dont want bigger injectors and fuel pump without management.......you'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams. :) and I dont mean bling bling :)

Blak94GSX
03-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Well it isn't all that bad, but yeah it does run richer. That's what AFCs are for... Couple clicks down on the LO map and you are done.

Actually the FPR issue is that the regulator can't OPEN up enough to bypass enough fuel back to the gas tank. This results in the fuel rail pressure being higher than what the ECU is expecting in the off-boost areas.

The FPR clamps to RAISE the pressure, and opens to REDUCE pressure. Kind of counter-intuitive, but it is just a simple spring-loaded device. The stock FPR has a limited flow rating in the return orifice, so a large fuel pump flows more fuel than the FPR can divert back into the gas tank, raising the pressure.

It is important to note that the base pressure does not change, meaning the fuel pressure at 20PSI of boost will be the same as it was with the stock fuel pump. Instead of the differential pressure always being constant, the fuel pressure starts high in the vacuum and low boost ranges, then goes to normal after enough fuel is going through the injectors to make up for the FPR's lack of return flow.

In short there is little impact on the high-boost power output unless the pressure was dropping off before and now the new pump is able to keep the fuel pressure correct.

Coolguy949
03-23-2004, 06:40 PM
LOL, thanks for clearing it up. I knew I had it backwards!! I guess i was on the losing end of the coin flip hehe.