PDA

View Full Version : More cops on the streets?

Coolguy949
03-25-2004, 10:42 AM
I've noticed more of a cop presence lately on the streets. In addition, a lot of my DSM and Evo friends have been getting pulled over for dumb stuff like exhaust or lowering. Even this morning my mom, out of the blue, mentioned to me she's noticed more cops "patrolling".

This morning i got the scare of a lifetime. I'm cruising in traffic and I see this Irvine PD crown vic going the other way...he immediately makes eye contact with me then I see him run a red light and make a quick u-turn in traffic. He's about 10 cars back now so I quickly make a right turn in to a commercial area, go behind a building and park by the loading docks along the back. I wait about 10 mins then carefully exit the area.....no cop in sight. As I'm about to get back on the main street again I see him going towards me fast so I put on my signal to turn right and jump in the parking lot of another building. I get out of my car and walk towards the building and I see him slow down and drive past the driveway I entered. I decide to leave the car there and have my carpool buddy pick me up and drive to school.

I wouldn't have normally reacted like this but I don't have a cat on my Evo right now and I can't afford to be pulled over. However, I will be putting the cat back on tonight!

So what do you guys think? Is it because hightened terrorist activity or something? Someone on EvoM posted that cops have been giving more tickets because of our budget situation in CA.

Rob

alfredob1
03-25-2004, 10:51 AM
I would guess it's a little from column a and a lot from column b. I mean a day doesn't go by when I see Osama driving his Evo arond looking for places to bomb. But John Q. Public driving his modded Evo (or any car) is an ATM waiting to have his money taken by the state. :roll:

Just to be clear I don't have a problem with more cops on the street. But they should be going after real criminals or people doing grossly illegal things. Rob, I have nothing against you, but you know running catless on public roads is not right. So if he would've caught you...

So far I have had two run-ins with the cops (when my car was stock). One was interested in the car and use the fact that I had flipped the dealer plates around to pull me over. He let me go cause he had nothing on me. The other pulled me over while on my way home. I wasn't doing jack. I was driving in an alley at a legal speed. As soon as I saw him I knew something was going to happen. Sure enough, he turns around and stops me. He busted out this list of cars that look modified but aren't. Unfortunately the car wasn't on the list but he still didn't give me a hard time. However he was being somewhat a-holish the whole time. I had that newspaper looking thing about the Evo that the dealers were giving away. I was trying to show it to him so he could see what the car came with, but he ignored me somewhat and didn't look at it.

I have since added some items to my car and so far so good. But I know it probably won't last for ever so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Strider
03-25-2004, 11:20 AM
CHP station given $1 million to increase patrols
Officers to focus on drunken drivers, pedestrian safety

By Ben Baeder , Staff Writer

SANTA FE SPRINGS -- The California Highway Patrol office in Santa Fe Springs
now has an extra $1 million in state and federal grants to beef up patrols
in unincorporated areas of Whittier, as well as Hacienda Heights and Rowland
Heights, officials said Monday.

Four separate grants will help officers catch drunken drivers, keep
pedestrians safe, stop street-racing and "saturate county areas with special
enforcement teams' to reduce collision rates, said Santa Fe Springs CHP
Officer Cory Baker.

Baker said the office is already starting to use the grants to field more
officers.

"People are definitely going to see more cars on the street,' he said.

On Monday afternoon, for example, the office staffed four extra officers in
unincorporated South Whittier, he said.

Officers will also begin conducting roving patrols to catch drunken drivers,
and in April officers will set up a drunken- driver checkpoint, Baker said.

The grants also pay for officers to concentrate on areas with high
pedestrian traffic, he said.

Michele Meadows of the California Office of Traffic Safety, which provided
two of the grants, said the CHP Santa Fe Springs office, which is the
busiest CHP office in the state, identified streets in their areas that
could use more patrols.

The other two grants came from the federal government.

"The CHP took a look down there and saw areas they thought they should
really concentrate on,' Meadows said.

Jean Wall, a community activist who lives in the eastern part of
unincorporated Whittier, said she has already noticed more CHP patrols
around the schools in her neighborhood.

"It's super,' she said. "You look up, and you see a highway patrolman. It
seems like we've got at least one guy out here all the time. You should see
this one (officer) they've got. Talk about giving tickets. He's everywhere.'

The increased patrols are especially welcome after Los Angeles County
sheriff's officials, due to budget cuts, last year disbanded the area's
community policing team, reducing the number of officers in the area, Wall
said.

"The CHP is really stepping in,' she added.

Coolguy949
03-25-2004, 11:29 AM

yay... :(

Strider
03-25-2004, 11:33 AM

yay... :(

No kidding...

el rey evo
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Just to be clear I don't have a problem with more cops on the street. But they should be going after real criminals or people doing grossly illegal things.
I know you are not cop bashing...but I am as tired of hearing this line of thinking as I am of hearing about the Evo's "weak clutch" :roll:

When a cop busts a speeder, the speeder asks why he's not catching thieves...when a cop busts a thief, the thief asks why he's not catching robbers...When a cop busts a robber, the robber asks why he's not catching rapists...When a cop busts a rapist, the rapist asks why he's not catching murderers...no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions...

How many times have all of us been out driving our Evos (or whatever) and have had some jackass out there driving like an idiot...all of us have said "Damn where is a cop to jam this idiot up?"

We all want the cops to do their jobs, we just don't want to be the target...

[/end rant]

re-EVO-lver
03-25-2004, 12:08 PM
I watched a special on KCAL news and it was regarding the states change of focus from terrorism threats to bringing the police force back to the street. They said the lowered terrorism levels have alotted more police time for patroling and investigations. Bottom line more cops on the street, especially Irvine where they have nothing better to do. I got pulled over twice in one week.

CACalomino
03-25-2004, 12:17 PM
I feel this thread yesterday on my way to work in the morning 5:45 am Im late as usualy DOH!!. Im in the beater that has not been washed in 7 months other than the rain and im hauling at 75mph when I run up on a CHP chilling behind a truck :shock: ** slams brakes** I role past him at 65 hoping he willl just disregard my POS beater missing hub caps missing air bag and dirt all over it and go about his buis. He does I get a mile ahead and get back to 75. I Get on the 10 and cruising when my trained eye picks up a suspicious camaro ahead white and two antanas I pull out of fast lane slow down and they guy behind me goes wizzing by to only get nabbed by the CHP :shock: FUCK. Two close calls in 5 min im slowing down and call in to my boss to tell him im running 10 behind. Then out of the blue two min later CHP on a bike comes wizzing by.

Now I know if I was driving the EVO my ass would have been raped like an inmate and beaten like reganal denny for sure.

I cant tell u how many times I have had to run from the POPO like rob. I see them they see me and then they flip a bitch and im off to the back road races and ditching them.

Im just glad I have a eye for cops ask anybody that has ever dirven with me I can pick these guys out like a radar detector no joke. Im like a drug dog one sent and im on the trail

I just hope they leave the evo alone im kinda likeing the low BS rate that comes with the EVO from theives etc. Well at least its better than my honda days anyways.

BE carefull out there guys and gals and keep your eyeys pealed and CATS on.

-chris

augi1
03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Just to be clear I don't have a problem with more cops on the street. But they should be going after real criminals or people doing grossly illegal things.
I know you are not cop bashing...but I am as tired of hearing this line of thinking as I am of hearing about the Evo's "weak clutch" :roll:

When a cop busts a speeder, the speeder asks why he's not catching thieves...when a cop busts a thief, the thief asks why he's not catching robbers...When a cop busts a robber, the robber asks why he's not catching rapists...When a cop busts a rapist, the rapist asks why he's not catching murderers...no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions...

How many times have all of us been out driving our Evos (or whatever) and have had some jackass out there driving like an idiot...all of us have said "Damn where is a cop to jam this idiot up?"

We all want the cops to do their jobs, we just don't want to be the target...

[/end rant]

Ok if I got pulled over for a legitimate reason then I would say shit for the expense but not cry "why me"

But when I get hassled for no other reason than the car I drive and the way I look (Hispanic driving a new car) then I have a real problem with that. If someone is driving legally and is pulled over only because of the type of car or ethnicity then that is Bullshit.

I have gotten pulled over and searched and then let go because I looked like I should not be in that area (Newport Beach)

And by the way I am a law abiding citizen and am careful on the roads.
I am not diving like stupid idiot waving in and out of traffic like this dumb ass black RSX I saw coming back for SD last weekend.

GokuSSJ4
03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Well here is the thing , if you are going to be running the streets with out a cat . Take the right steps in case you get pulled over for them not to be able to tell that you don't have one. As least visual, that way if you get pulled over and they take out a mirror to check the bottom of the car , their able to view a cat :wink:
As driving imports we have the bad side that we get pulled over by cops (sometimes with no reason behind it) while if you would drive a domestic car they attend to leave you alone (for the most parts)
but also street racing doesn't help, and they want to scare people by pulling them over , so they think about it twice before engauging on a street race ....

rizalhoo
03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
hmm...isnt it when we see POPOs we suppose to feel secure and comfort since they are here to SERVE AND PROTECT us...but how come everytime I see them..I just dont feel good its like im some kind of criminal...

but yeah i agree with Rob, lately I've seen more of those popos on the street and more of them were hiding somewhere and using their speed radar thingy to catch someone going above the speed limit...hmm..aint fair :D

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 02:06 PM
what up with everybody saying stop cop bashing?? cops SUCK in the sense that they harass people for stupid reason because their cops. It sucks you guys live in the oc where there is little crime, no one gets harassed about evos in la they have way more shit to deal with even in culver city no hazing.

evod
03-25-2004, 02:06 PM
yep...more cops lately...got a ticket for 27150(a) modified exhaust. whelp...i already ordered my magnaflow from buschur...so we'll see. got a sound meter too....as long as its under 95dB i'm good...but blah....jerk...nothing better to do...blah blah blah

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 02:07 PM
problem is they use subjective methods to determine if your exhaust is to loud or not so even if it is 95db he could still nail you.

GokuSSJ4
03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
some one has posted a link were it stated that its up to the officer to determine if the exhaust is loud ...

evod
03-25-2004, 02:35 PM
its up to the officer to issue the ticket, however the judge is the one who will have to confirm the violation to convict someone. california law states that exhausts not exceeding 95dB are considered legal, and they do allow modifications to exhausts. recently SEMA and california legislature has confirmed that the majority of issued violations on modified exhausts being too loud are erroneous, and thus have recommended guidelines to police officers when issuing tickets regarding the modifications of an exhaust system. when an officer issues a ticket, they are just "reporting" a problem to a judge, in which case if the problem is found to be a faulty accusation, the judge has no power to convict the person of the accused violation. however, one must prove beyond doubt that the accusations are at fault. in which case, with the modified exhaust violation being a "subjective" judgement by the officer, and since they have no way of an objective test due to funds, an objective test done by either a referee station, which can issue a certificate of compliance, can nullify an accusation in court.

moogle
03-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Cops...

I don't bash on cops bcz they do what they need to do, but bullshit tickets like 75 over 65 for like 2 seconds is retarded.

I am a victim of a cop looking for his quota. Also I have been pulled over 3x this week.

1. speeding ticket "duh"
2. my stock system loud? Gave me a warning... its stock!
3. no plates " I showed him the dealer tags he left "

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 03:56 PM
ya man end of the month means quota time

han74j
03-25-2004, 04:58 PM
very very true ever time i drive over 40 miles i see like 2-6 cops, when i drove down to sd i saw like 5 cops pulling people over!!! Noel told me that cops is getting everyone in sd. i heard that someone got a ticket for their wing... eah stock?? but cops dont gives a shit stupid. just becareful, if u dont drive crazy follow traffic, and with some luck there shouldn't be any reason that u getting a ticket.

Coolguy949
03-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Yeah, i'm taking the cat off tonight. I love having it in, it sounds awesome and it pulls so much harder. But all this crap isnt worth 15whp or so. Either fake cat for me or high flow......

I'm not bashing cops at all.....i just find it amazing though how we're supposed to feel safe and cozy knowing they are around when in reality whenever someone sees a cop they get uneasy and scared. This is beacuse of the image they have created for themselves for the most part. Erroneous tickets, Rampart, crooked cops, cops going in to donut shops and serving themselves to a tasteful treat, and the fact they nearly jackknife people when "pursuing an assailant" that has a lowered suspension is why I think they have such a negative connotation attached to themselves.

If anyone knows me personally, I get REALLY uneasy when I see cops when I'm in my evo. I know in due time i'm gonna get pulled over for my bright SoCalEvo decals or my "blue headlights" then have to pay some ridiculous fine to change them back to stock LOL. In irvine window tint isnt a fix it ticket. I thought it was until I got the ticket for $104 in the mail for having "illegal tint" on my eclipse. It was medium, not even that dark. ANd what's funny is that the cop tried to catch me. I told him, "man, i thought you were gonna give me a speeding ticket or something." He;s like, well, were you speeding??" I'm like, no...he's like "then you wont get a ticket for it." When I get the ticket it shows me going 45 in a 55 zone as my speed (I guess they have to put it down even though it's a tint ticket.) I always wonder what would have happened if I said something like "I dont know" or even "yeah." Heheh.

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 05:55 PM
the cops should get bashed their fucking insanely crooked

Absinthe
03-25-2004, 06:11 PM
think b4 you speak. those guys are out doing a job AND if there weren't so many street racing asses who drove imports we wouldnt get this heat its not about the minor infractions in the law.

Its about the idiots who supe up cars and kill people street ricing or get busted for 100+ on the 405- they are stereo types for a reason, and thats why we get so much heat.

Here is and idea next time some one rolls on you let him go... or the guy in the m5 thats faster than you dont race him leave him alone, then all of us would be better off.

rizalhoo
03-25-2004, 06:34 PM
... i heard that someone got a ticket for their wing... eah stock?? but cops dont gives a shit stupid. just becareful, if u dont drive crazy follow traffic, and with some luck there shouldn't be any reason that u getting a ticket.

now this is getting interesting! people getting fix ticket for their 727 wing which is stock wing? so what should those people do when they got ticket for the wing? take it off? thats just INSANE!

is there any way to fight and saying that "MAN U GOTTA DO SOME RESEARCH AND OPEN YO EYES! THIS IS STOCK WING!!!" or something like that?

augi1
03-25-2004, 07:08 PM
think b4 you speak. those guys are out doing a job AND if there weren't so many street racing asses who drove imports we wouldnt get this heat its not about the minor infractions in the law.
Its about the idiots who supe up cars and kill people street ricing or get busted for 100+ on the 405- they are stereo types for a reason, and thats why we get so much heat.
Here is and idea next time some one rolls on you let him go... or the guy in the m5 thats faster than you dont race him leave him alone, then all of us would be better off.

so beacause some idiots that do not know how to act I have to profiled and subjected to different standards than than the guy in the mustang or BMW?

I let the civics and BMW's go by, mind my own busineses and go with the flow of traffic BUT WAIT!!!, he is driving an import so pull him over, I am a hispanic in a new car so make him get out while we see if its stolen or searched for drugs.

this shit happens and it has happened to me more than once so yes they suck for there attitude and they will never get my repect until they give some, freaking bastards!

Absinthe
03-25-2004, 08:20 PM
unfortunately your right.

on many levels it is BS that you got hassled.

That said there are lots of fools in evo's that do drag, hell there are stories about it on this board. Its gay we get lumped with them, but its a fact of life

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 08:59 PM

so beacause some idiots that do not know how to act I have to profiled and subjected to different standards than than the guy in the mustang or BMW?

I let the civics and BMW's go by, mind my own busineses and go with the flow of traffic BUT WAIT!!!, he is driving an import so pull him over, I am a hispanic in a new car so make him get out while we see if its stolen or searched for drugs.

this shit happens and it has happened to me more than once so yes they suck for there attitude and they will never get my repect until they give some, freaking bastards!

jose I thought you did steal that evo? :skid:

augi1
03-25-2004, 09:17 PM

jose I thought you did steal that evo? :skid:

I had to steal a black one cuz I coudn't find that the trailer park you lived in to take yours, but I did find your mom out on the street and she just gave me something for for free! :worthy:

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 09:29 PM
lol dont take this the wrong way but ive been wanting to use this........

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/leaveit2bevo/stfu2.jpg

moogle
03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
LOL I agree. 1st time me agreeing w/bevo.

rizalhoo
03-25-2004, 10:46 PM
LOL!!! thats so funnyyyy hahahaha

augi1
03-25-2004, 10:54 PM
LOL I agree. 1st time me agreeing w/bevo.

what happen? you are not a fan of sharp wit. as for agreeing with bevo well I always thought you guys were real close if you know what I mean :jawdrop:

leaveit2bevo
03-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Jose I thought you had to go home early on monday for some of this.....

:jawdrop: =======================8

:drool: