PDA

View Full Version : Boost loss!!

SSwest
03-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Car's got about 2500 miles and I have finally started to get on it on a regular basic. Just starting today, while reving the first three gears out, I loose boost around 5 grand. Makes a distinguishing hissing sound and there is considerable power loss. I have the Forged recir. BOV with the blue spring(closest to stock spring) with two washers in. Any ideas. Gonna throw the stock BOV on when I get home to see if theres any difference. Any ideas on my problem, let me know.

leaveit2bevo
03-29-2004, 06:35 PM
stock evo drops boost from 19 to 16 past 5grand

Blaze
03-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Whoa! I had that problem with my HKS Super BOV. (Super BOV predating the SS BOV).

Anway, long story short, check your vacuum lines because you probably have them hooked up incorrectly. ESPECIALLY if you have more then one routed to the valve.

I admit to not being familiar with the Forged brand, but it sounds like you have a line going to the primary port, then perhaps one going to a secondary. The secondaries are sometimes used for as a "bleeder" or "pop off valve" function. This means that when you reach a certain boost (maybe 10 PSI) the valve opens to dump excess boost.

Anyway, check and recheck your lines. Make certain you have a valid vacuum and boost line as well. (just in clase you didn't use the OEM line).

Good luck.

Jason

SSwest
03-29-2004, 07:34 PM
It seems to happen intermitinly, and yes all the lines are hooked up right. Its been on for awhile now but just now starting to do this.

Blak94GSX
03-29-2004, 07:58 PM
The stock BOV is your friend...

GokuSSJ4
03-29-2004, 08:01 PM
on this car , the MAF is way to damn sensitive. So to avoid headaches stock BOV and stock intake box . The best way !!!

IMIN1ST
03-29-2004, 09:03 PM
You might want to have the coils checked. If they are going bad you will begin to lose spark and it will cut out when uder power. This happened to me at 1500 miles.

Just a thought.

SSwest
04-18-2004, 03:36 PM
I slapped the stock BOV back on and still, hissing a looseing power. Has anyone ever went past redline and had theres hiss, fuel cut off maybe. I did that once and it makes the same sound, only at around 6 6.5. The stealership is gonna finger this one out.

leaveit2bevo
04-18-2004, 08:53 PM
on this car , the MAF is way to damn sensitive. So to avoid headaches stock BOV and stock intake box . The best way !!!

the only head ache is with a VTA bov, intakes are no problem the stock air box sucks end of story.

QuickShifter
04-18-2004, 10:57 PM

the only head ache is with a VTA bov, intakes are no problem the stock air box sucks end of story.

stock makes more low end torque while most aftermarkets make only around 5 more horsepower top end, i dont know if its worth it, but i run an aem

leaveit2bevo
04-18-2004, 11:10 PM
its different with tuning

GokuSSJ4
04-19-2004, 08:52 AM
its different with tuning

hahaha!! you just making excuses to why you paid that much for your APS system thats all.. Believe me later on i will get the APS and i will see how much it makes on the dyno .. an will be the end of your excuses Bevo ...:wink:

leaveit2bevo
04-19-2004, 09:16 AM
im not even talking about the aps just intakes in general, stock box sux your just making excuses because you have the stock box.

GokuSSJ4
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
im not even talking about the aps just intakes in general, stock box sux your just making excuses because you have the stock box.

LOL do you have proof of that , gains are minimal with an intake ....
like i said i will dyno the car to see what gains are showned with the APS unit ..

leaveit2bevo
04-19-2004, 01:18 PM
there still gains arent they?? your just choking your turbo with more mods and making it harder for it to breath.

SSwest
04-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Turns out non of you knew what you were talking about, ha. The two clips that hold the ram air duct to the air box were missing and letting the box lift under heavy acceleration making it cut the air flow. Who would of ever figured. Late.

racing evo 8
06-12-2004, 05:00 AM
does n e 1 now how 2 get 19psi all the way through red line

leaveit2bevo
06-12-2004, 11:11 AM
does n e 1 now how 2 get 19psi all the way through red line

ok youve asked this question in every single tread get over it.

Absinthe
06-12-2004, 12:21 PM

Absinthe
06-12-2004, 12:34 PM

LOL do you have proof of that , gains are minimal with an intake ....
like i said i will dyno the car to see what gains are showned with the APS unit ..

any one else hear wedding bells?

moogle
06-12-2004, 01:03 PM
LOL. Its only an intake who cares. 5hp increase top end and loss of tq in mid.

Ricardon
06-12-2004, 01:37 PM
I think I'll be going back to the stock air box to try some things out. I dunno. I'll be getting the Works P2 very shortly, I need to talk to Pete to see what he says about the stock box vs. an AEM intake (which is what's on the car currently). I know that Works is still running the stock box, and so are some other tuners, but the converse is true with other tuners. Who knows?