PDA

View Full Version : Cali Smog fighters

mprtklr
04-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Source: Mercury News Wire Services
California smog-fighters are testing a device that will catch auto polluters by remote control.Six-month pilot programs under way around the state are testing a device that can measure the exhaust from moving cars.The device uses infrared and ultraviolet beams that can be disrupted by pollutants. Cameras photograph the car's license plate.Supporters say the devices could dramatically affect air quality by detecting auto polluters who may have managed to pass the biennial smog test.... (who me?)

Published on March 28, 2004, Page 26A, San Jose Mercury News (CA)

han74j
04-01-2004, 04:48 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee

goddamnit when is this thing suppost to be in effect?

joebenz
04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
yup. saw that on the news the other day.

CACalomino
04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
they already have theses i heard about this before. Dont know where but they have testing them

Ricardon
04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
These types pf things have been around for more than a few years now! I wonder how these things hope to be able to work though? A 4cyl engine will have less emissions than a V8 that is smog legal, so how the hell do they plan on enforcing things? Are they going to be able to measure exact amount of emissions from a distance? This ain't star trek, we don't have the technology yet...i don't think hehehe. And what about the cars themselves? Are they going to go through all the steps to check a license plate, check the vin, check the make/model, then check to see what emissions should be at? Sounds like a lot of work and a LOT of dollars necessary to implement this deal. Uh...I want streets that don't have fucking potholes...I don't want my money to be wasted, that's right wasted, on this garbage. At least the photo stoplights are catching people who are running red lights and being a potential danger. This is just crap.

han74j
04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
eah... with a cat delete will i have more smog emission htan a v8 or a suv?

Ricardon
04-01-2004, 08:54 PM
hell no!!

leaveit2bevo
04-01-2004, 08:54 PM
At least the photo stoplights are catching people who are running red lights and being a potential danger. This is just crap.

hahahah thats funny isnt it you with a picture of you giving the finger to a red light camera with the sun shade down so they could see your face?

ZIGGY
04-01-2004, 09:15 PM
why don't they go after the real polluters like the damn big rigs, ever see how much **** comes out after shifting gears.

Ricardon
04-01-2004, 10:15 PM
yeah, those were the days bevo!! I got a couple of those pics in the mail...sunshade down, no face and a big middle finger. Never been stuck with a citation on them though. Just hadda go to the court, they can't see the face, they can't cite ya.

re-EVO-lver
04-02-2004, 02:16 AM
Are you freaking KINDING ME!!??? No face, No citation? That's bad ass.

GokuSSJ4
04-02-2004, 02:23 AM
i have seen those devices , it has been a while doh . they use to have one all the time in the ramp entrance of the 10E overland entrance . My friend all he use to do was to turn off his engine :wink: just in case , the last thing he wanted was the pic of his lincense plate and a paper saying he was referred to see the "smog referee" ...:pissed:

Hallster
04-02-2004, 12:11 PM
They've been testing these on HW57. I've passed them twice now.

What they do is block an onramp and set up their warez pointing out to the HWY traffic.

When you see them, all you have to do is push in the clutch and let off the gas.

The State of California is idiotic. The other thing one could do is install a slide valve in the exhaust to block or redirect it.

Morons. What a waste of money.

Sean