PDA

View Full Version : intercooler water spray

Hallster
04-04-2004, 09:21 PM
What temp does the intercooler water spray kick on when in automatic mode?

TIA,

Sean

Macky
04-04-2004, 09:53 PM
id like to know this too...i keep it on auto when i drive in hot sun.

Blaze
04-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know the temperature differences between having the FMIC sprayed vrs. dry? I know the numbers will vary depending on your environment. I guess I'm looking more for a percentage then a number.

If the gains are anything noteworthy, you could pretty easily splice in a resistor to the sensor in order to have it engage at an earlier time.

Cheers,

Jason

leaveit2bevo
04-04-2004, 11:40 PM
I remember some dyno tests on evom and they said 1-2 hp but Im not really sure how they got that.

Hallster
04-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know the temperature differences between having the FMIC sprayed vrs. dry? I know the numbers will vary depending on your environment. I guess I'm looking more for a percentage then a number.

If the gains are anything noteworthy, you could pretty easily splice in a resistor to the sensor in order to have it engage at an earlier time.

Cheers,

Jason

Corky Bell's MAXIMUM BOOST estimates ~5-10% increase in thermal efficiecy: "preliminary testing of such a mechanism has been show to offer an easy improvement of 5-10%". He then goes on to say water spray systems are best considered for special events only. (Mr/ Bell's book is showing its age.)

of course, if you put the spray "on the rocks", efficiency increases too.(btw, our filler spout is plenty big for all types of ice)

...If you ran a reistat inline you could adjust the spray temp.. ;-)

Sean

Evo8you
04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Auto mode works in this way.
High lode low speed driving ie. driving up a big hill in 5th gear under mid to high boost and only going 55mph. It helps keep the intake temps down while doing this in warm weather.

Macky
04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
i just drive with the setting on auto when its sunny and hot (noon time) :wink:

but yea ill definitely look into putting some ice cubes in there :P

EVO Neil
04-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Seriously, none of you have read the owners manual. In automatic mode it gives a two second spray every five seconds.

CACalomino
04-08-2004, 11:41 PM
damn then my IC is wet all the time I put it in auto mode every time I drive the car LOL and my APS Water bottle never gets low damn that thing holds alot

Blaze
04-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Neil:

I just went back and read all the sections on the IC sprayer. It didn't say anything about a 5 minute interval. It states that when "Engine conditions apply" it will turn on intermitently.

Hallster
04-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Guys, manuals are a *last resort* and should only be referenced when all other means have been completely exhausted... :lol:

FYI, my IC spray reservoir was completely empty a few days ago - It took over a gallon to re-fill it.

Sean

mr. evo
04-09-2004, 12:38 PM
This is straight out of the shop manual:

AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
INTAKE AND EXHAUST 15-3
CHARGE AIR COOLER WATER SPRAY M2150008000012
.To complement the charge air cooler efficiency in
ranges where the cooling efficiency of the air cooled
charge air cooler is insufficient, and attain high per-
formance in various environments, the system cools
by spraying water from a special washer tank for the
charge air cooler to the front of the charge air cooler.
Features of the charge air cooler water spray system
are:
• Sprays water when the water spray switch on the
floor console is operated.
• Enables switching between the driver-operated
manual mode and the auto mode, which auto-
matically sprays water at the optimum operating
conditions by signals from the engine control
module (ECM) according to the engine state.
• Two water spray nozzles are located at optimum
positions to enhance the charge air cooler effi-
ciency.

Hallster
04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Looks like we're back to where we started from.

Sean

mprtklr
04-12-2004, 04:01 PM
well i DO know that the whole "2 seconds every five seconds" is incorrect. try it yourself, idle the car and turn on auto mode, and go out in front of your car. you will see it will NOT go off at all, ive stood there for 5 minutes before. IT WONT go off. Using this line of reasoning, it would be safe to say that it should go off regardless of engine temps, running condition, etc. etc.

Macky
04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
well i DO know that the whole "2 seconds every five seconds" is incorrect. try it yourself, idle the car and turn on auto mode, and go out in front of your car. you will see it will NOT go off at all, ive stood there for 5 minutes before. IT WONT go off. Using this line of reasoning, it would be safe to say that it should go off regardless of engine temps, running condition, etc. etc.

i did the same thing too. i waited for it to come on, even drove with the radio off to hear whether it would fire away. nothing. i think it really depends on the conditions dictated by the ECU or something like that :(

EVO Neil
04-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Mark me down as wrong! Sorry guys. I got this directly from the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Press Kit, page 56, "Automatic mode delivers two-seconds spray of cold water every five seconds." Jeez, if Mitusbishi doesn't know...

han74j
04-12-2004, 07:35 PM
hum.... if it sprays 2 seconds every 5 seconds so that means in 1 min it will spray 24 seconds, in 1 hour it will spry 1440 seconds which is 24 mins! and then u can add up the numbers!....

im sure every spry is very little im not good with the weights of liquid. but im sure if u have it on auto for a week it should spary over a gallon of water. how big is the water tank? and some people say that the water light never comes on after 2 or 3 weeks on auto?

my came on then it when off, i didn't add water or anything.......

STiTHIS
04-12-2004, 07:42 PM
What if is does do the 2 times 5 second whatever only when you are drving. I dont think you can hear it...What ever I drive with it on 24/7

Evo8you
04-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Owner's manual section 3-43 thru 3-44 hope that helps.

Have you seen the indicator light come on when in auto mode, that means it's on.

Macky
04-13-2004, 07:47 AM
but how will you know if its out of fluid? the indicator (green) means its on auto, but what if its empty? :?:

han74j
04-13-2004, 07:57 AM
it shows a spry thing! green also but it means its low like gas light

Hallster
04-14-2004, 08:05 PM
The only way i knew i was empty was from the change in the sound of the electric motor

Sean

Knower
04-15-2004, 02:53 PM
The only way i knew i was empty was from the change in the sound of the electric motor

Sean

Check your fluid levels often? :P

turbrodude
04-20-2004, 10:16 PM
THe ECU takes a bunch of data that triggers the IC sprayer. If you look at the shop manual circuit schematic you can get an idea of how it works. It takes throttle position and engine temp, then I think it also looks at airflow and air temp and vehicle speed. Under the RIGHT conditions, it will spray the water. Mike @ RRE hooked up an LED to the sprayer motor so he could see when it sprayed. He drove the piss out of the car and said he hardly ever saw the water spray come on.

MrBubbler
04-20-2004, 11:19 PM
wow this is something i dont have to deal with now so woo woo no IC sprayer for meeeeeee

Secret Chimp
04-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Seriously, none of you have read the owners manual. In automatic mode it gives a two second spray every five seconds.

That is based upon some very specific sensor parameters. At specific engin loadings AND at specific intake temps, (if the sprayers are in auto mode) they will turn on and off at an interval of 2secs of spraying every 5 secs.

The Evo's manual is written in EngRish. Complete info regarding how the sprayers work is not clearly communicated there.

Secret Chimp
04-28-2004, 02:56 PM
I remember some dyno tests on evom and they said 1-2 hp but Im not really sure how they got that.

Bevo, from what I remember, it wasn't a dyno run. It was an individual who was running a pocket logger showing the differences between 2 logs...one with sprayers off, the other with sprayers in auto mode. I seem to recall he was seeing 1-2 degrees of ignition advancement at a given rpm when the sprayers were running in auto mode.

SC~

Secret Chimp
04-28-2004, 02:59 PM
and some people say that the water light never comes on after 2 or 3 weeks on auto?

my came on then it when off, i didn't add water or anything.......

There is no 'low water' light. You can run the thing bone dry and see nothing. I ran like this for a few months and never saw a low water light.

Back east, lots of Evo owners empty out their bottles for the winter....since in many places it gets cold enough to freeze windshield washer fluid.

Macky
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
so besides water have you guys tried anything else?

EvolvedDSM
04-29-2004, 02:40 PM
so besides water have you guys tried anything else?

Ice cubes ;)

nurb2
04-29-2004, 03:22 PM
If you use water, make sure it's not from the tap. Most tap water has minerals and shit that could possibly leave deposits on your intercooler over time. Windshield washer fluid is the best thing to use, considering it has alcohol in it and alcohol is superior to water as a cooling agent.

-nurb2-

Jemm
05-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi, these are th sensor inputs:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album144/icdataauto.sized.jpg

Tarmac02
05-09-2004, 01:42 PM
OK... I'm so much of an EVO n00b that I haven't even taken delivery of mine yet but even I know this... BTW I only made through pg.1 before I felt so inclined to answer. I asked this question to the salesman at the dealership who dealt with the EVO in europe before coming to the US to sell it. The intercooler sprayer depends entirely on throttle in automatic mode. When your RPMs are up and the turbo is spinning hot and faster is when it kicks into 2 second long sprays. If you're getting ready to drag or prepping for a race you want to spray manually.

Failed_Senses
05-09-2004, 02:01 PM
That spray LED sounds really cool. Any idea as to how one would go about doing that? Sounds like something I'd want to do :)

mprtklr
05-09-2004, 02:45 PM
That spray LED sounds really cool. Any idea as to how one would go about doing that? Sounds like something I'd want to do :)

ohhh..engineering...my thing...let me explain how one can do this...

Get a LED light at radio shack. come up with a box or some mounting device. the electronics are as follows. to simply light up the led, all you need is a ground and to tap the power supply line to the servo for the sprayer, and when the motor sprays, it completed the circuit and lights up the led.

To chane a Color or something.. you need a switched power, a ground and 12v switched power to the motor. so its red constant, and when the servo motor fires, it changes to green.

Failed_Senses
05-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Now just to find that power wire to the servo :) Thank you for the instructions that I understood without a problem :)