PDA

View Full Version : what type of coolant should I use?

leaveit2bevo
04-15-2004, 03:24 PM
I just change my oil and realized my coolant level is really low like bottom of the bottle what kind of coolant should I fill it with?

Dr. Evo
04-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Just fill it with 50/50 green coolant and water, Prestone or whatever is fine. DON'T use orange coolant EVER unless teh car came with it factory, and don't use that "environmentally friendly" crap either...it is made of different chemicals.

Absinthe
04-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Redline water wetter and water--

will drop 2 tenths of your 1/4th

eVoL oNe
04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Okay i have this problem of understand what this part does, its the white container that is attached to the radiator to dump out the unused coolant??

On the containor it has 2 lines, one says half full, and the other is just full, i understand coolant should be in that at the full line......

Does that mean i should fill it up or leave it? The dealer never put coolant in that untill i asked them, every evo i see has that containor filled up.....i just put some 2 weeks ago and now its empty....someone please help, thnx

Macky
04-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Redline water wetter and water--

will drop 2 tenths of your 1/4th

thanks for reminding me, i still have to add a bottle to both cars. been planning on doing so ever since i got them :wink:

leaveit2bevo
04-15-2004, 04:58 PM
so I mix green coolant and water till its 5050? and fill it up to full or half?

Blaze
04-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Be daring and run pure distilled water and Redline Water Wetter.

EvolvedDSM
04-15-2004, 10:10 PM
so I mix green coolant and water till its 5050? and fill it up to full or half?

The overflow bottle catches the coolant as it warms up and expands. So, you could add until the "full" line after things have warmed up. Even if you add to the "full" line with things are cold (which is what I do), there's a tube that dumps outside of the bottle in case things expand beyond the capacity of the overflow.

Yes, on the 50% coolant / 50% distilled water. If you use Water Wetter, I'd got with 25% coolant / 75% distilled water in the system.

Dr. Evo
04-15-2004, 10:14 PM
i just put some 2 weeks ago and now its empty....someone please help, thnx.

Fill your overflow bottle up to "full" line after you have warmed the engine up to operating temp. If the bottle is empty at any time after that you have a PROBLEM. It is not normal at all for that bottle to fluctuate greatly. Obviously a little fluctuation is normal, but if all the water is dissappearing from it, you have a leak of some type, or you are boiling it over. Any white smoke from your tailpipe?