PDA

View Full Version : rear caliper

Macky
04-18-2004, 08:50 PM
can we fit a front caliper to replace the rear one? just a thought. the evo would look cool with a-la porsche-style 4-piston calipers front and back :wink:

Coolguy949
04-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Brembo has a kit that relocates the front caliper to the rear and puts a 6 piston in the front. They were showing it off at SEMA in vegas.

Macky
04-19-2004, 07:20 PM
any chance you know how much that is? :wink:

mprtklr
04-19-2004, 08:01 PM
6 piston front, 4 piston rear in a 3000lb car?? your gonna sheer your lug nuts off !!!

mistasparkle
04-19-2004, 08:44 PM
60-0 in 0. get some new seatbelts cause that sounds insane

SpeedKillz
04-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain increasing the number of pistons in the breaks does not decrease stopping distance under normal circumstances. The increase in pistons only leads to a breaking system with higher endurance, ie. reduction in fatigue.

In order to reduce breaking distance the size of the rotors needs to be increased or the type of break pad used needs to be changed to one that grips better.

I could be wrong, but just wanted to add my thoughts.

redvolution
04-19-2004, 11:47 PM
It's starting to look like I'm a stoptech whore, but I suggest pouring over the tech section on their site. Caliper size is only one of many, many factors that affect braking capability. Brake bias, tire stickiness, and downforce affect stopping distances much more than number of pistons.

In fact, simply increasing the rear caliper size without adjusting brake bias will almost certainly screw things up, not to mention adding unsprung rotating mass (worst kind). Generally you want the lightest, smallest brakes parts you can get away with.

On the other hand, bling bling...anybody seen spinners on an Evo? ;-)

MrBubbler
04-20-2004, 12:18 AM
well rotora is trying to get me to purchase their big brake kit which is 6 in the front and 4 in the back = / but new interior and a system sounded way betyter to me = / it should be out next month i think?

leaveit2bevo
04-20-2004, 12:20 AM
are stock brakes set a record for 60-0 so add better pads rotors and SS lines and fluid and your good to go.

mprtklr
04-20-2004, 03:44 AM
are stock brakes set a record for 60-0 so add better pads rotors and SS lines and fluid and your good to go.

exactly, the STOCK system stops better than most aftermarket system..why mess with perfection?

JanSolo
04-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Doesn't the stock setup suffer at the track after prolonged use? I figure at least a change to some slotted rotors should make a difference.

alfredob1
04-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Here's the clip (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/microsoftdance.mpg). Make sure you turn up your sound so you can hear him.

redvolution
04-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Let me preface everything with the following: I did many track days in my '89 Dinan 325i and Cobb WRX but haven't done a single one yet in the Evo (going with EOC next week).

From my BMW CCA days, I agree with leaveit2bevo - pads and fluid should be first. SS lines can wait because they don't reduce fade, just improve pedal feel.

As for fluids, Motul 600 has the highest boiling temp but it's much more hygroscopic than ATE SuperBlue or Typ200. Unless you've got a full cage in your car and change the fluid after every track day, I recommend the ATE stuff. Plus swapping between blue and typ200 makes the job easier cause you can see the fresh fluid more easily.

I think a carefully crafted airflow cooling system will help more than new rotors. Several BMW tuners make very slick backing plates that take a hose from airdam duct and do wonders - that's a true race setup. Best I could find for the evo without looking too hard is the factory brake air guide - I've heard it keeps the front wheels cleaner which means that it's somewhat effective.

That said, I'll probably be looking at new rotors eventually but only if I can find ones that are significantly lighter than the stock ones (and preferably full floating too).

The real test will be Willow (big track) next month.

Dr. Evo
04-20-2004, 10:48 AM
I agree with the starement that bigger calipers don't necc. improve stopping. The best way to improve the evo's setup without spending $$$$$$$ would be slotted and/or x-drilled rotors, high performance pads, better fluid and braided lines. Bleed it very well, and keep the fluid fresh. The tool trucks (Matco, Snap-On) are starting to sell brake fluid test strips that detect the amount of water and contamination in the fluid, both of which lower the boiling point and fade resistence of the fluid.