PDA

View Full Version : Espelir GT Springs Installed!

Ricardon
04-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Stock:
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album114/DSCN2614.jpg
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album114/DSCN2615.jpg
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album114/DSCN2616.jpg

Espelir GT Springs Installed:
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album114/DSCN2629.jpg
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album114/DSCN2630.jpg
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album114/DSCN2631.jpg

As you can see the GT Springs lower the car slightly. I'm not a fan of typical lowering springs, or dropping the height. Espelir makes lowering springs, these are not the same. The GT springs are performance oriented springs. I was expecting the ride quality to be a lot harsher, but found the ride to be very compliant. Actually I was quite impressed as I prefer a firm ride! Now, I haven't gone out to do any serious testing of them yet, but they perform very well under mild to semi-hard cornering. They make the car feel a lot more firm at apex. Just a note, I am in serious need of a new alignment, and my tires are very worn and ready to be replaced...I'm sure that I'll get a better feel for how well the springs perform once these issues have been resolved. I would recommend a tire with a stiffer sidewall, just from my first feelings, as the Falken Azenis sidewall (the tire I have installed now) may be too "squishy" for these springs. With the current alignment and state of the tires, oversteer is easily achieved but is still progressive and easy to control (stepped the rear out something fierce on a freeway onramp, unexpected, and without a doubt had more to do with the tires and alignment issues. But gained control of the car easily with a little right foot and counter-steer). I really need to get the issues resolved and get the car to the track so I can post more informed feedback, but so far they seem to be working fine. The ride height is perfect for the way I like it...just enough lowering without looking to ricey, and there's no chance of being hassled by law enforcement for ride height! New info to come shortly.

izzy
04-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Did you get the rate figures?

Ricardon
04-21-2004, 08:21 AM
I'll get all the specs posted as soon as I can.

gt40
04-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Good post Rich.

I was fortunate enough to have Rich drive me back from dropping off my car and the ride was slightly firmer than stock and seemed "solid" feeling.

alfredob1
04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Looks good Rich. I especially like the evenness of the drop. I too dislike the almost tucked into the fender look of most springs.

vroomevo
04-21-2004, 10:10 AM
looks good. where did you get the spring?

Ricardon
04-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Mackin installed them for testing. Yeah, i love the way the drop is very even. With a full coilover setup the best way is tucking the rear, but when talking about stock suspension it realy isn't the way to go as far as handling is concerned. As Mark said, the ride is a little stiffer than stock but also feels much more "firm"...there's a difference. I spoke with Steve from Mackin today and I will get the specs as soon as I can!!

apexstrafer
04-21-2004, 12:02 PM
hmm...I like. how much were those going to retail for? those springs coupled with a mueller alignment and swaybar might be the hot setup for those of us on a budget.

559EVO
04-21-2004, 08:54 PM
What is the drop on those spings?

Takashi
04-30-2004, 12:22 AM
hmm...I like. how much were those going to retail for? those springs coupled with a mueller alignment and swaybar might be the hot setup for those of us on a budget.

exactly what i was thinking... get back to us with those specs asap!
i'm thinking full linear, 1" drop in front, .5" drop in rear... but who knows on the rates.... prices too? when is release? :)

Ricardon
04-30-2004, 12:32 AM
I'll have the data to you guys ASAP.

Takashi
04-30-2004, 12:17 PM
thanks rich.

Takashi
05-04-2004, 01:02 PM
hey rich, any updates for us?

Chris in SD
05-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Hey Rich what are the spring rates? How low is the drop? Will you get back to us? Answer our questions you gangly bastage... :lol:

Ricardon
05-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Jesus Christ!!! I got the spring rates by email yesterday...I'll post 'em as soon as I get home you haters!!! hehe

Absinthe
05-04-2004, 03:06 PM
get your alignment fixed yet?

Ricardon
05-04-2004, 08:53 PM
GT spring rate is 5.5 front and 5.9 in rear. Still don't know about the drop yet, will get the drop info as soon as I can. And no, I haven't done the alignment yet...grrrrrrrr.

leaveit2bevo
05-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Are you going to get mueller to do the sway and the allignment?

Takashi
05-04-2004, 11:28 PM
GT spring rate is 5.5 front and 5.9 in rear. Still don't know about the drop yet, will get the drop info as soon as I can. And no, I haven't done the alignment yet...grrrrrrrr.

yer going to have to excuse my ignorance, but what does that convert to as far as lb/in?

Ricardon
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Takashi...I have no idea. Hehehe. I'll call them today and find out.

Takashi
05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
thanks rich, but don't worry about it, i can always search around for a conversion table or something... i believe there's something over on evom about it.

oh, and now that you've had them on for a while, how is the ride?

Takashi
05-05-2004, 01:39 PM
okay, from a rough analysis, what i can tell is this...
front: 308 lbs/in
rear: 330 lbs/in
those spring rates are pretty high. but the drop looks so minimal... i hate putting on springs that reduce ride height dramatically.

Ricardon
05-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, like I said before I still haven't had the alignment dialed in yet...it's really bad right now (I don't drive the car much, so I have been putting it off). Also, I'm wondering if the Azenis' sidewall is too soft for these springs, probably is, because they pogo a bit, but that's probably due to a combination of the alignment and the tires. The thing that I am impressed with is that the rear springs are stiffer that the fronts, which is the way to go...a lot of company's ship their springs or coilovers with the rates ass backwards: stiffer up front. I'll take the biotch down to Mueller as soon as I get new tires and have him set it up and see what he thinks.

Takashi
05-05-2004, 09:18 PM
so you think that with the pogo effect will stop with perhaps using the stock advans? maybe it's due to the super stiff spring rates... i dont know, just throwing around ideas.
greg

Takashi
05-07-2004, 09:50 AM
hey rich, i'm really curious to see how these ride... wanna give me a test run? :)

Ricardon
05-08-2004, 06:01 PM
hey rich, i'm really curious to see how these ride... wanna give me a test run? :)

Sure, as soon as I get everything fixed I'll hit you up and let you run around a few corners. How tall are you? hehehe The Sparco is dropped literally on the floor do if you feel comfortable not seeing the nose of the car, then it's yours to test. :lol:

Takashi
05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
shit, i'm about 5'8" so, i wont even be able to see over the dash!

but really, whenever you get a chance, i'd love to see how the springs feel.

Ricardon
05-11-2004, 12:30 AM
right on, I'll contact you as soon as the car is ready. try not to hold your breath though...I'm very poor right now!

Takashi
05-11-2004, 09:34 PM
no worries... it's not like i'll have any money any time soon to get any springs.do they have any idea when they'll officially release the gt springs?

Guack007
05-19-2004, 11:04 AM
I am hoping to go this route as well. To create the most nuetral handling balence should sway bars be installed or will just springs be adaquate? I remember you haveing a rear strut tower brace at the malibu meet several months ago. Did you notice much of a differnece from just this mod alone?

Im a hair over 6'0" and would also love a test ride at the next meet just to make sure these aren't going to be to stiff for my daily drive. If not, I totally understand.

Guack007
05-23-2004, 10:57 PM
BUmp

Ricardon
05-24-2004, 12:45 AM
I am hoping to go this route as well. To create the most nuetral handling balence should sway bars be installed or will just springs be adaquate? I remember you haveing a rear strut tower brace at the malibu meet several months ago. Did you notice much of a differnece from just this mod alone?

Im a hair over 6'0" and would also love a test ride at the next meet just to make sure these aren't going to be to stiff for my daily drive. If not, I totally understand.

No problem bro. Like I said, I need some work first, but when it's done I'll let you drive it. For now, the springs seem to be pretty good. When I get my new tires and alignment I'll take her up to horsetheif and test it out.

Oh, and the strut bars make a big difference over rough roads, but don't really do much on flat surfaces. The addition of the rear bar helped, stiffen things up back there for sure, but it doesn't give a hugely noticeable feel like some may suspect. The rear strut bar plus a rear trunk reinforcement bar makes a difference you can feel.

Guack007
05-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Thnx for the info.
I cant wait till its done.

:)

Sam Smash
05-24-2004, 01:41 PM
If you guys like this setup, I have about 4 sets of the Espelir springs in stock.

I will sell the springs and install for $275 :)

Let me know

Guack007
05-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Whne I'm ready I will contact you.
Probably not for a few months though :(

Takashi
05-24-2004, 08:27 PM
If you guys like this setup, I have about 4 sets of the Espelir springs in stock.

I will sell the springs and install for $275 :)

Let me know

call me captain obvious, but does that mean that espelir has officially released the gt springs now? how much for just the springs?
thanks
greg

Sam Smash
05-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Retail is $280
Socal Price $160
Stock is very limited :)

Tarmac02
05-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Ric... this might be kinda late.. but you mentioned the sidewalls on the Azenis giving too much??? Was that just what you thought due to the stock rear sway? Cause I'm pretty sure the Azenis sidewall is 3ply.

Takashi
05-25-2004, 09:21 PM
$160??? consider one set accounted for... :)
how do i arrange payment?

Sam Smash
05-25-2004, 09:51 PM
I would prefer cash or check :)

Credit card takes away too much money :(

HHAhaha

Let me know.

Takashi
05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
just out of curiosity, how did you guys already get the gt springs?
and they are 5.5k front, 5.4k rear, with a .75 inch drop right?

Sam Smash
05-26-2004, 10:58 AM
I am not sure how the post originated with espelir gt springs. I am an authorized espelir dealer and the only spring for the evo that is available is the active super down.

The price for the springs that I mentioned was for the active super down
springs.

Let me know if you are still interested :)

Takashi
05-27-2004, 10:43 PM
whoops, nevermind.... i'm waiting for the gt's to come out. ricardon is testing a set for espelir right now.

Ricardon
05-31-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey Takashi, sorry for all the delay! It looks like I'll be getting the alignment setup soon, and new tires are still in the works, so I'll let you know as soon as I can so you can take her out for a spin. Don't worry too much about the seat, it takes a little getting used to, but it's cool hehehe.

-Rich

Oh, and to reiterrate for the others, the ones I'm testing are NOT the active super down springs. They are the GT springs. I'm not sure if they have been released yet, I'll find out from Mackin when they ared ude to hit the market.

VOLKevo
06-02-2004, 07:17 PM
guys.. The GT spring is front 5.5 and 5.9
The active super down is 4.7 and 5.3

This just came in from Japan!!!

will be available mid june..

Ricardon
06-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info Steve! I'll call you tomorrow, I have a couple of questions for you.

Ricardon
07-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Went to Mackin today, talked with Steve...he's going to email me all the specs he has on the GT springs. Drop, spring rate (I believe it to be 5.5 front 5.9 rear, but don't know for sure and don't know exact conversions).

Semi Long-term update...I LOVE THESE SPRINGS! I finally got Muellers alignment, had driven two cars with the alignment previously, but the springs make the car a different animal. Still need more seat time to figure them out, but I'm impressed so far.

Takashi
07-11-2004, 09:06 PM
okay for daily driving, in your opinion? i think i asked this before, but what about longer term?

Ricardon
07-11-2004, 09:53 PM
A lot better than I originally thought they would be. Driving around on the street they aren't bad at all...stay away from big bumps and potholes of course, but you'd want to do that anyway. Last night I drove down to the OC meet, and going south on the 405, where the expansion joints on the fwy are really close together...FUCK!! I thought my eyeballs were going to pop out of my head. My vision was getting a little blurry after a bit LOL! Yeah, it was pretty harsh, but once again, I'm in this for the performance not the comfort.

Blaze
07-11-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm in no way a suspension expert, but if your ride is "too stiff" then won't you start to loose traction?

I'm probably thinking too extreme here, but I wouldn't want to go into a corner, find a few bump and send teh car skipping across the lanes....

My Z is set up very stiff in the rear to the point where it needs subframe spacers to keep steady traction. Not certain if the EVOs have or need something similar. (two very different cars)

Is it bouncey stiff, or confident stiff?

~Jason

Ricardon
07-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Great question Jason! At the racetrack it's totally confident stiff! The bounciness really has to do with the expansion joints on the freeway being so sinfully close together, and I hit them in just the right frequency to shake the fillings out of my teeth. On the way home I didn't get nearly the same ride...mix of different frequency possibly, different side of the freeway? Dunno. At the track, even in certain spots where there are bumps in corners, the car was a champ! Keep in mind that I have about as agressive an alignment setting as the stock suspension will allow. I also have a 26mm rear sway and control arm bushings. I run higher pressures in the rear as well, so the ass goes where my right foot tells it to! The car is completely nuetral now, and it takes a little time "unlearning" how to drive the car after 11 track days on the stock suspension. That and it's going to take time for the wallet to learn my totally new tire replacement schedule, running the serious - up front!

Ricardon
07-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, I have a Cusco rear strut tower bar, and a Cusco trunk reinforcement bar. Doesn't help stability when you are going straight over smooth road, but when you are using your hands and get's bumpy...you REALLY notice that those two pieces are there!

Hallster
01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Here's the low-down on the GT Springs:
...................................Front.......... ........Rear.............drop
Stock(USDM):..........180lbs(3.2k)....225lbs(4.0k) ......STOCK
Espelir GT:..............308lbs(5.5k)....330lbs(5.9k)....1 .7f/ .98r
1kg/mm = 56lbs/in

I took this from Evom(thanks Tri-Bar) and confirmed the data on Espelir's site. FYI, some of the data on Tri-Bar's Spring Rate Chart is off(RSR Ti2000 is incorrect according to RSR's site, there may be others too).

Hallster

CT9A RS
01-19-2005, 06:37 PM
5.5k and 5.9k doesnt sound too stiff. I dont know how they are matched up with the stock shocks. But on my 240 i used to run 16k and 14k springs. so when u hop out of ur seat and hit ur head on the roof liner than let me know how stiff it is lol.

But the drop looks nice. And those spring rates sound perfect for a street car.

-Serge B.