PDA

View Full Version : please review my plan with comments and suggestions

KU7484
04-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Sup guys! Currently i have a RMR intake, RMR induction pipe, Greddy type s bov, ground kit, and a TT. I think im gonna recieve my Full exhaust setup by this weekend or the next which consists of: RMR 3" Catback, RMR 3" Downpipe, UR cat delete, and RMR lower arm Brace.

Question: Is the UR cat delete pipe gonna make my car loud?? I don't want an insanely loud car, thats why i chose the RMR exhaust cuz i hear it sounds like the stock exhaust at idle.

Basically im not gonna do heavy mods on my car, and this is my plan by the end of summer. Please comment on my plan, add suggestions, yell at me, praise me.. etc.... AEM ECU, walbro fuel pump, injectors (not sure which ones to get... any suggestions?) greddy boost controller, RMR intercooler piping, cams (most likely the HKS, unless u guys recommend others), 02 Housing (not sure whether i should get this or not), Intercooler (don't know what kind or whether i should get this), and finally Dyno Tuned (but i have no clue where to do this and what kind of tuning).

This is basically what im doing Performance wise to my car. Keep in mind i want to keep my cars LONGITIVITY, so if any of these mods will cause any harm or stress to the car, please WARN ME!! If im missing a mod that can keep my car safer, please list so. And please suggest what Brands i should get.... I feel as though im missing parts of the puzzle... like im missing something big that is REQUIRED....

THANKS GUYS!!

mr. evo
04-22-2004, 09:22 AM
There have been a few evos that I have seen in my shop with the cat delete, that haven't done a fuel system upgrade, and now they run poorly and stall a lot. The check engine light is also on, all becuase of the cat delete. Now I don't know wich one they had or if ther is another one out there that works, but what seems to be happening is that the o2 sensors are reading incorrect info and then sending more or less fuel through the system. You might want to do some research on this one before investing...

Josh - HB Mitsu

eVoL oNe
04-22-2004, 09:41 AM
id do alot of research, i wouldnt go and buy whatever that i think is COOL to other poeple and show off my car in the public, My way of mods are intense power gains......Id get the best exhaust, Id get the cat delete with the o2 simulator harness, id get the best downpipe and cam shafts, ECU, Handling mods.....such as coilovers and a rear sway bar, once you have a ECU you dont need boost controller .....i also would not get a VTA blow off valve or any blowoff valve that is noticable.....

Most of my mods are not noticable except for my turbo back.....everything is hidden because of my problem with getting caught by cops.....do research you know? get what you car really needs, if you want power you need to save the money.....dont just go and buy whatever you think you need and then a few months later sell you stuff for half the price.... (i bought my HKS SSQV and i sold it after 2 months) sux cux i wasted 280 bucks etc...

Coolguy949
04-22-2004, 10:29 AM
you do not want to get caught with a cat-delete pipe in CA.

eVoL oNe
04-22-2004, 11:46 AM
you do not want to get caught with a cat-delete pipe in CA.

True, and thats a big big problem because of the C.A.R.B. here,

move out to Oregon, they sell 92 Octane for 2 bucks and 100 Octane for 2.40 and also they dont have "CARB" gayness....

Knower
04-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Question: Is the UR cat delete pipe gonna make my car loud?

Yes. Just get a downpipe with a 3" high flow cat. Any time you remove a working cat from an exhaust you are going to make it noticeably louder.

Please comment on my plan, add suggestions, yell at me, praise me.. etc.... AEM ECU, walbro fuel pump, injectors (not sure which ones to get... any suggestions?) greddy boost controller, RMR intercooler piping, cams (most likely the HKS, unless u guys recommend others), 02 Housing (not sure whether i should get this or not), Intercooler (don't know what kind or whether i should get this), and finally Dyno Tuned (but i have no clue where to do this and what kind of tuning).

It sounds like you have a mod list but aren't really sure what exactly each part does and how much power you want to make. Once you figure out what your goals are for your car, go down and talk to the guys at Road Race Engineering (http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm) (about 35 minutes drive north of you). You probably don't need an AEM EMS (and instead just an AFC). I doubt you'd need an O2 housing either, since the O2 housing on the Evo is actually pretty good. Even with an EMS, you don't necessarily need to do any dyno tuning. Some tuning on the street with an AFC or EMS is often even more valuable than when the car is sitting on rollers under non-street conditions.[/url]

Blak94GSX
04-22-2004, 01:28 PM
-AEM ECU (umm no, not yet anyway)

-walbro fuel pump (good idea)

-injectors (good idea too, but don't get injectors immediately, then go with 720cc Denso)

-Greddy boost controller (Profec B old style is good, spec 2 sucks ass) or get a good manual like the Dejon Tool, Joe P, Pauleyman or Hallman

-RMR intercooler piping (prolly okay)

-cams (HKS is a good call. 272/272 if you plan to ever upgrade the turbo, 264 intake/272 exhaust if not)

-02 Housing (leave this alone until you upgrade the turbo)

-Intercooler (can hold off for now, depends on your budget and goals)

-Dyno Tuned (this shouldn't be necessary, in fact it is often dangerous since the engine is then tuned to only do one gear at a time, really depends on the tuner)

-Run a 3" high-flow cat (keeps the noise down, is still semi-legal and really doesn't impact the power)

I would get a flash whatever you like (flavor of the week), an AFC for fine-tuning, Greddy 60mm peak/hold EGT gauge or the Zeitronix ZT-2 multi-display unit to help with tuning the AFC, datalogger for help with tuning the AFC.

KU7484
04-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I forgot to mention... i purchased the 6-year warranty on my car... so im trying to stick with RMR parts bc (HB mitsu and RMR are well acquanted)

EvolOne - i've done my research, and the RMR catback and downpipe is exactly what i want. And im not trying to be cool and buy whatever everyone else is getting... I want as much power as i can get but within the limits of my warranty. Nothing too extreme, but something that'll make a difference.

Mr Evo - ill probably think twice before adding the cat delete... thanks for ur input. When you say "they haven't upgraded their fuel system", its basically their injectors and fuel pump yah? What else is there...

Coolguy949 - say a cop pulls you over for the loud exhaust... do they know exactly where to check on the exhaust to see if i have a cat-delete pipe?

THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS.. KEEP EM COMING!!

eVoL oNe
04-22-2004, 03:19 PM
EvolOne - i've done my research, and the RMR catback and downpipe is exactly what i want. And im not trying to be cool and buy whatever everyone else is getting... I want as much power as i can get but within the limits of my warranty. Nothing too extreme, but something that'll make a difference.

And im not trying to be cool and buy whatever everyone else is getting...

Im not saying your going to be cool if you have whateverone else has, most of the people on SoCalEvo.net dont have the best of the best Exhausts.....the best will void warrenty....Stick with the RmR, when having a cat delete a cop could smell the fumes out the canister.....(thats if he pulls you over) its no so hard to see a cat delete under the car.....mainly your exhaust will smell like gas...

Ricardon
04-22-2004, 03:37 PM

And im not trying to be cool and buy whatever everyone else is getting...

Im not saying your going to be cool if you have whateverone else has, most of the people on SoCalEvo.net dont have the best of the best Exhausts.....the best will void warrenty....Stick with the RmR, when having a cat delete a cop could smell the fumes out the canister.....(thats if he pulls you over) its no so hard to see a cat delete under the car.....mainly your exhaust will smell like gas...

I'm curious...what in your opinion is "the best of the best exhaust" that you say that most people on SoCalEvo.net don't have?

KU7484
04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
does the manual boost controller have any negative components to it? Other than the fact that you have to tune it urself, and its not as quick to change...

Blak94GSX
04-22-2004, 04:07 PM
does the manual boost controller have any negative components to it? Other than the fact that you have to tune it urself, and its not as quick to change...

The only real disadvantage is that you have to get out of the car to adjust it. There are a few though that allow for remote control of the boost.

The main advantages of a MBC are price, reliability, and ease of installation.

GokuSSJ4
04-22-2004, 05:47 PM
you need to aim for a hp figure and based on that you need to decide your mods ..
like EMS is an expensive mod but is worth it you plan to run a bigger turbo , larger injectors and you want the most hp out of your set up .. an maybe crazy cams like piper cams or tomei with a 11.5mm lift ...

For the most part a Flash like WORKS or a piggy back will handle your tunning needs ...
cams you have 264/264 264/272 272/272 or WORKS cams 269/269 269/274 274/274 which requires WORKS valvetrain ..
FMIC im very happy with the results of the AVO and the quality as well .. i need upper and lower FMIC pipes . which most likely will be Buschur ..
Exhaust is up to you , if you want the most gains and sound doesn't matter or if you want quietness and gains ..
AVO has a3" all the way throug system which is very quiet and it makes nice gains .. So does the APS ...
boost controllers , depending what route you take ( if you run a flash like WORKS or a piggy back or even the EMS ) you will not need and if you plan to raise the boost , tuning is a must .. it can be with a SAFC or a piggy back or a Flash ... but you must tune the car and not just bump the boost and dont know what the car is running to lean or rich ...

as far as delete pipes , im very happy with my high flow 3" cat , no check engines , no problems what so ever and the car is making near 300whp ..... remeber that obd 2 is very sensitive and messing with the 02 can end up with a check engine light on ....

KU7484
04-23-2004, 12:38 AM
Aiming for a Certain HP figure while trying to maintain my Warranty is pretty tough. i did some extensive research, and this is what im doing now for sure.

Greddy Type S bov (single spring)
RMR intake
RMR induction Pipe
RMR Catback Exhaust
RMR Downpipe
UR Cat delete
RMR I/C piping
Apexi SAFC
Manual Boost Controller
HKS Cams 264intake 272Exhaust
Dyno TUning

What do u think my WHP #'s will be with this?

leaveit2bevo
04-23-2004, 12:41 AM
you should be into the 300hp range easy, get a p2flash instead of the SAFC unless you want a really aggresive p2 and the safc to tune it done for the street

Ricardon
04-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Why are so many people using a target horsepower range as thier base for an upgrade path? Take a look first at what you plan on doing with the car. Are you a drag racer, a road racer, or are you just wanting a modded EVO to go fast work-home-grocery store and the ocassional twisty backroad. The paths are completely different. It gets more confusing if your'e a road racer because then you have to think about what kind of tracks you'll be running. If it's short, more technical courses, then stay with the stock turbo and build around it 'cause you'll be unbeatable. If it's bigger, faster tracks then plan around a bigger turbo. Think of your upgrade path more organically, or in terms of application...not academically. On paper fast too often turns out to be slow in the real world! This approach usually leads to dyno queens and 1000 different mod internet boutique type cars. BLEH!! My .02

GokuSSJ4
04-23-2004, 09:50 AM
having a target for hp can lead you to see what your options are . Of course what you plan to do with the car as far as Road Race or Drag race is important . But then again if thats a big part , you should be at the track getting the best out of the stock set up and learning the car . I know must of us want more hp figures and then decide to put the car to the test at the track ... Im sure there's bigger turbo out there that can give you a bigger hp figure and near stock spool if not the same.. depening with what you tune it as well...
my goal is near 400whp and being able to have a competetive car at a technical track like SOW .. So near if not stock spool up on a turbo kit is a must .. I dont plan on drag racing ( im pass that now ! :cool: ) so Road Race set up with a nice tune suspension is my target ...
there's so many options out there , but you can start with the simple bolt ons , that may end up being more then enough for you . or you may end up getting crazy like GT40 and change parts every month :wink: .. but if you plan to track the car, then learn as well as how the car handles and what things you can benefit the most ..

KU7484
04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
thanks for the input guys!!!

My Goal with the EVO isn't to have it as a track car, or a super street car. Just a FAST Daily Driving / Semi-street car that can out perform and handle (once i do my mods on that) any street car. I MAY do the occasionally tracks, but i doubt i'll do that more than once a month.

GokuSSJ4
04-23-2004, 01:11 PM
you dont have to have a track queen to really enjoy some of the mods out there .. but you do have to take in consideration what do you want your car to do the best at ...
that way you can decide or guide yourself on what mods work best for you and how far are you willing to go .. like for example cams : are you willing to change the valvesprings on it ?? if so then i would look in to WORKS 274/274 ,269/269 , Piper cams 269/269 11.5mm lift or even tomei cams ... piper and tomei give nice tq gains do to there huge lift which is nice in a road race coarse :cool: