PDA

View Full Version : Rpms going a little haywire!!

Random_EVO8
04-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey guys i was noticing today when driving on the freeway i was cruzing in 4th. when i needed to pass i steped on the gas and noticed my car go from 4500 to 4800 then back to 4500 rpm for a split second. anyone know the root cause of this? it only really happens when i hit the gas when i am cruzing at a constant speed.

leaveit2bevo
04-22-2004, 11:08 PM
does it feel like the engine drops RPMs? or does the engine keep pulling and just the tach goes up and down?

tama_mog
04-22-2004, 11:23 PM
clutch is slipping

han74j
04-22-2004, 11:39 PM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

heres a link on how clutch works

Coolguy949
04-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Does the car actually reflect this, or is it only in the gauge? THe reason I ask is because i'm trying to figure out if it is a clutch problem indeed, or some type of short in the tach signal. But from what i see, it sounds like clutch slippage......especially if it gets worse every time you drive.

Random_EVO8
04-23-2004, 10:01 PM
well the thing is that if the clutch is slipping its not my foot doing it. my foot is completely off the clutch and its only when im at a cruzing speed lets say 40 and I hit the throtle to get moving. The tach and the engine both first go up then they go down for a breif second and then back up . almost like a delay in power for that short second. Also a source said it may be due to different gas in my tank. I dont think thats really what it is though. anyone else ever have this problem?

Random_EVO8
04-23-2004, 10:14 PM
well guys i think i figured this all out. check this http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread/t-39018.html and damn that sucks. im going to call up the dealer and see what they can do. porbably nothing since i already changed my exhaust, bov, stereo, turbo timer, and undercar lights. Damn maybe my forum will help out other people if they have the same problem.

Dr. Evo
04-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Sounds like the clutch slipping when a good load is applied. Try this: get moving in 1st gear to about 15 mph, then put in 4th. Does the car bog down and almost die?

Ricardon
04-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Sounds like clutch to me. Your foot doesn't have to be on the clutch for it to slip. If your clutch is going, this is what it's going to do, even if you have your left leg hanging out of the window. Does the problem get worse if you hit the throttle harder? I mean is it proprtional to the amount of throttle you give it...revs higher if you hit it harder? If so, then you need a new clutch. Of course, this is just going by what is written, not seen or felt hehehe.

Random_EVO8
04-23-2004, 11:45 PM
so lets say it is a clutch problem....what clutch would you guys prefer. I knew buying the evo that the clutch was crappy so i figured i would end up upgrading. Just didnt expect it to be so soon after i bought it. post links for what clutches are really good out there.

Ricardon
04-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Now that's a completely different can of worms bro!!! See you in two days at the meet hehehe, we'll go out for dinner afterward and spend 4 hours discussing this one topic LOL.

Random_EVO8
04-24-2004, 12:02 AM
ahhh man unfortunatly i cant go to the meet. But yeh after doing about 10 min of research there is a lot of different choices out there. Damn im still pissed how this problem could happen so soon but oh well . There aint no point of haveing a fast car if you cant make it faster eh.back to the clutch search.

evo8jedi
04-24-2004, 07:00 AM
mmmmm burnt clutch.....

Random_EVO8
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
yeh yeh jedi i know what you are gonna say...."I told you so!!" But hey look at the birght side....kick ass car like all the other evowners and a new racing clutch. Side from the fact that there is a price involved in it whats not to like eh. hmmm i guess im just trying to think possitive. also jedi did you replace your clutch yet....and if so what did you get? I contacted RNR and they said it would be 500 for and ACT clutch and 700 for install. Im cool with the clutch price but is there anyone out there that is a little more competitive. at any rate ill probably be going with that one!!!