PDA

View Full Version : just got back from referee station: exhaust noise level test

evod
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
saw them doing the test...seems like they put the meter towards the center of the car, making the tip of the exhaust point away from the meter(meter is supposed to be at 45degree angle from tip center, 20" away, 8" off ground), don't know if that's why my own readings at home seem to be higher than theirs. came out to an avg of 93dB. this is with the 3" BuschurRacing catback and the Magnaflow muffler. this makes me curious of how an HKS HiPower can do 92dB....but oh well...i'm happy. enjoy guys.

rEdEvO8
04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Did you take this test for yourself? If you did, how much did you have to pay for the test? Or did you get a ticket?

evod
04-29-2004, 04:03 PM
got a ticket about 2 months back. test was no charge at this point.

Whendidieatcorn
04-29-2004, 04:55 PM
there is no way the hks is 92 db. the buschur is much much louder. my exhaust goes silent after 4 k rmps. and its only throaty sounding inside the car........and kinda funny sounding from outside. but what evs.........it gave me a few extra hp.......and i have yet to get a ticket so thats good enough for me.

evod
04-29-2004, 05:09 PM
whendidieatcorn, i ahve the Magnaflow muffler which quiets down the Buschur catback quite a bit.

Ryukyu
05-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I have some questions for evod or anyone who can answer. You got a ticket for a loud exhaust. So you tested and were lower than 95 dB right. So the ticket got thrown out?

Chris in SD
05-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I got popped a couple of times out here in VA (WAAAAAY worse than even the CHP, if you can believe that), so I took off my RMR exhaust and painted it flat black. Now it looks like a stock exhaust that's kind of offset (angled), but it looks stock unless you 100% know better.

I've driven right next to cops now without a second glance. My tint is a different story. I guess the cops out here are a little bored when they use 3 (!!!!!!) patrol cars to pull me over for my tint on Easter Sunday. :roll:

I am really curious about the exhaust noise law in Cali - at least they have a set 95 dB limit. VA is completely subjective - if the officer thinks it's too loud, then it's too loud. We did some dB tests on our cars out here - the regular Buschur one maxed at 98 dB, the RMR was 88 dB and the HKS w/o silencer was 85 dB. Stock maxed at 80 dB.

GokuSSJ4
05-02-2004, 12:49 AM
thats one of the things i have plan out for the hks muffler , to painted flat black ... dont need all the attention

evod
05-02-2004, 04:27 AM
my court date hasn't arrived yet, tho i'm planning on trying to do trial by decleration(written trial). we'll see how things go an' i'll let you guys know. just for comparisons sake, i also tested for myself the noise level of my exhaust being at 97dB @ redline, and right along with a G35 coupe, stock, also at 97@ redline...jus found that interesting...

leaveit2bevo
05-02-2004, 09:50 AM
so the G35 is 97 stock? that means they all are illegal?

Coolguy949
05-02-2004, 10:53 AM
I got popped a couple of times out here in VA (WAAAAAY worse than even the CHP, if you can believe that), so I took off my RMR exhaust and painted it flat black. Now it looks like a stock exhaust that's kind of offset (angled), but it looks stock unless you 100% know better.

I've driven right next to cops now without a second glance. My tint is a different story. I guess the cops out here are a little bored when they use 3 (!!!!!!) patrol cars to pull me over for my tint on Easter Sunday. :roll:

I am really curious about the exhaust noise law in Cali - at least they have a set 95 dB limit. VA is completely subjective - if the officer thinks it's too loud, then it's too loud. We did some dB tests on our cars out here - the regular Buschur one maxed at 98 dB, the RMR was 88 dB and the HKS w/o silencer was 85 dB. Stock maxed at 80 dB.

I had the same thing happen to me years ago. 3 Irvine PD cruisers pulled me over for illegal tint. A fourth cruiser shows up minutes later. Anyone driving by would have thought we just ended a police chase and I was about to be hauled off to the slammer. The ticket wasnt a fix it ticket either. It was a $104 "illegal tint" ticket.

evod
05-02-2004, 11:46 PM
bevo, i tested the G35 with a referee station's instructions except for the rpm. i believe that its supposed to be at 3/4 redline...which i didn't do it at. however, for brand new cars, the test is done at 50ft distance with the car accelerating by at WOT....and the limit would be 80dB if i remember correctly...

IS2000
05-05-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm planning to paint my RMR muffler flat black as well.

Chris in SD
05-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Mark - I used the Krylon 1200 degree paint (you can get it at a hardware store or auto parts store). It was awesome and doesn't require primer.

1) Remove the axle back.
2) Spray the exhaust with brake cleaner to remove all the dirt and oil.
3) Scuff up the exhaust and tip with 220 grit sandpaper (I needed 3 or 4 sheets).
4) Spray the brake cleaner again.
5) I used a box as a spray booth and I held the exhaust in there and sprayed the can and tip with the paint. It dries pretty quickly ~15 min or so. I think I did 4 coats. It won't win any beauty contests, but it looks just like a stock exhaust. I'll post pics when I get some or you guys can see it in person at a meet.

Thanks to Secret Chimp for recommending this paint.

Knower
05-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I had the same thing happen to me years ago. 3 Irvine PD cruisers pulled me over for illegal tint. A fourth cruiser shows up minutes later. Anyone driving by would have thought we just ended a police chase and I was about to be hauled off to the slammer. The ticket wasnt a fix it ticket either. It was a $104 "illegal tint" ticket.

Haha, that's classic Irvine PD. They have a large budget and they have lots of cops with nothing else better to do than pull people over for the slightest infractions, or just to hassle people. Talk about overkill. You'd think your tint was deadly or something.

kaisho99
05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
whendidieatcorn, i ahve the Magnaflow muffler which quiets down the Buschur catback quite a bit.

Curious what high flow cat you have?

I have the same system with a UR cat. Wonder if I'd pass. Hope I never have to find out! hehe

evod
05-06-2004, 11:33 AM
kaisho99, stock cat as of yet. but yea...wut sucks...i jus got pulled over again by another cop two days ago....this one seemed quite annoyed with me from when he first spoke and requested that i pop my hood. blah...this is getting ridiculous....maybe its time to complain again...