View Full Version : Exhausts

Alias
04-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Which exhausts are good for the Evo8?

what do you guys think?
single? dual?
cat back? turboback?
titanium?

pros, cons, any info you have on the subject would be great.

cas909
04-29-2004, 06:39 PM
TI!!!!!! They're light, look bad ass, and give you some good power gains.

Alias
04-29-2004, 06:40 PM
okay, yeah, I know ti, if i could afford it i would go for it. but right now i am just trying to find a reasonable priced catback. vividracing doesn't have any under 500 bucks. is that what i'm going to have to spend for my car?

eVoL oNe
04-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Ti turbo backs.....or having the Stainles Steel hard cat back with Ti canister, 3 inch flow................straighter the better, quality like JIC, Helix....whp will definetly go up, i use test pipe and i run a 2.5 dp, which gives more torqe....

go for the Helix Cat back, its like under 500 from http://www.gruppe-s.com/index.htm

JanSolo
04-29-2004, 06:55 PM
I prefer the Buschur Racing catback. They offer 4 different muffler styles for you to choose from, which is great if you want options.

eVoL oNe
04-29-2004, 06:58 PM
I prefer the Buschur Racing catback. They offer 4 different muffler styles for you to choose from, which is great if you want options.

Busher hmm?
If i was to choose from all the Cat backs and Turbos backs id pick JIC
Busher is not the way to go, id first go with JIC, then Borla, then Helix
But he wants something in his price range.

JanSolo
04-29-2004, 07:02 PM

Busher hmm?
If i was to choose from all the Cat backs and Turbos backs id pick JIC
Busher is not the way to go, id first go with JIC, then Borla, then Helix
But he wants something in his price range.

Do you know someone who has a Buschur or something?

eVoL oNe
04-29-2004, 07:03 PM
yeah, and hes selling it.......

are you talkin about performance or the amount of money you can spend on an exhaust, or just for showin off?

Borla is better then busher in performance, Busher is NOT bad, its just that most of need the full performance....helix is great from what ive herd.

I currently run a custom made JIC Bullet 505S SS with Ti Canister (3" inche pipes)....with the 2.5" JIC Dp, and a Perrin Cat-Delete (3"), so i feel everything

JanSolo
04-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a Buschur and while it does not look blingy, I certainly like the sound and the performance difference it made in my Evo.

The problem with exhausts (so far) is that no one has bothered to take a sampling of the performance differences they make. For instance, you state the Borla is better than the Buschur in performance, but without any real numbers to quantify it, it is just opinion.

eVoL oNe
04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
you do have a point there, i wish i can be a distributor of parts for the EVO and other cars which have results of performance done on dyno....sad, but from the many heads i have spoken to and have had several exhausts, thats how i get my information....since i currently own my exhaust, i love it, same with you and the busher, my friend just got the helix and he loves it, it all depends on what you want, and can afford, etc..

Alias
04-29-2004, 08:52 PM
yeah, i'm not at all looking for bling, i'm all performance oriented, and how much better can one chromey tube to one slightly less chromey tube look? not much to me. and money, it looks like i'm going to have to spend at least 400 for just catback, so i guess i'll just save for a long ass time. ^^. thanks.

Takashi
04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
i dont know anyone who has it, but a few people had the fujitsubo exhausts on their imprezas and seem to really like them.... that's what i'll probably go with. either that or kakimoto.

QuickShifter
04-29-2004, 11:10 PM
I have the rmr with a test pipe and 3 inch downpipe and its turning heads everywhere i drive, even at low speeds, better be careful, the buschur exhaust is wack its a magnaflow muffler welded by them, or at least the one i saw

Ricardon
04-30-2004, 12:48 AM
I used to have a Borla cat-back until yesterday. Borla did the development on my and gt40's car for both the cat-back and the ss header. Personally I don't think there's any point in getting a full 3" turbo-back unless you are tuning the motor and added things like cams and a lot of other goodies. I know there's a million differing opinions here. I have found that the Borla is just about as free-flowing as anything on the market right now. It's loud, but not tinny and obnoxious and makes some very good power gains, but without tuning, all those power gains are felt up top. I just had the new gram lights cat-back installed yesterday (another development deal), and I can tell you guys right now that it instantly improved the performance of this particular car. I don't have any hard data or number that everyone always asks for. It's a 70mm exhaust, tested at around 89db...without a silencer...EXTREMELY quiet! Spool up is rediculously earlier, and there is a tremendous difference in the bottom end. Now, if I had a stand alone, cams, intake manny, etc.. etc.. then I would go for a full 3" turbo-back. But if youre staying with the stock turbo and have other "mild" mods, 70mm is the way to go. my .02

ErroR
04-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Sounds like Rich is trying to make himself feel better about his "smaller size".

Alias
04-30-2004, 05:46 PM
k, i'll look more into borla, which if i like it is awesome, because my best friend's dad lent Alex Borla the money he needed to start the company and thy are really good friends. which is how my friend got his borla.

aside from borla, i like the RMR 3" Stainless Catback Exhaust, does anybody know where i can find a dyno sheet of it, and possibly a sound clip?
if there aren't any sound clips, do you know if it sounds deep and "bubbles" under low revs/revs dropping?

thanks for all the help so far.

Ricardon
04-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Sounds like Rich is trying to make himself feel better about his "smaller size".

Well, yeah, that too!