PDA

View Full Version : Rattle while downshifting from 2-1 shift... any suggestions?

Takashi
05-02-2004, 12:21 PM
As the title suggests, I am getting an odd rattle while downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear while traveling at low speeds (ie, coming to a stop). It's also occuring lightly from the 3-2 downshift. I have absolutely no idea what it could be. I tried tightening the endlinks to the swaybar and retorqued the strut bolts, but that's about it.

My evo has about 1200 miles on it, and the rattle was noticeable from about 500 miles and has been getting a little worse ever since. I doubt it's anything serious, but shit it's annoying!

So, anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks in advance,
greg

Takashi
05-02-2004, 11:10 PM
bumpity...

leaveit2bevo
05-02-2004, 11:38 PM
im not sure but a little advice I was told by my friend down the street whos a total car guy he rebuilds his own engine his dad is a ferrari mechanic, not to down shift to 1st because its really hard on the drive train.

GokuSSJ4
05-03-2004, 12:09 AM
is not recommend it , like bevo has stated is harsh iin the drive train ... just either leave it on 2nd gear .. or come to a complete stop... i had that problem with my previous project , end up buying a new tranny since after the synchros were fix and it was never the same ....:(

STFU Tuning
05-03-2004, 12:33 PM
You shold never need to shift down to 1st. You can roll to a stop in neutral. Most slow turns can be taken in 2nd. If you need more power down there, learn left foot braking.

Takashi
05-03-2004, 08:29 PM
it's not really a need... i've never really thought it was a no-no to downshift to 1st, especially at a mild 5mph. either way you cut it, there seems to be a suspicious rattle when doing so, and it seems to be happening from the 3-2 shift too.

redvolution
05-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Every manual tranny car I've driven struggles a little if you try to downshift to first when moving UNLESS you do a little throttle blip. Then - smooth as butter.

perversity
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Perhaps your fluid need changing. New fluids in the tranny and difs may stop the noise, and you're getting close the the 15k service anyways...

Takashi
05-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Perhaps your fluid need changing. New fluids in the tranny and difs may stop the noise, and you're getting close the the 15k service anyways...

ha ha, no i only have about 1300 miles on it, not 13000 miles... but i'm thinking of switching to motul synthetic anyways.

Takashi
05-06-2004, 01:45 PM
oh, and i've done less downshifting into 1st and of course the rattle that i would sometimes hear from the 3-2 has gone away........

leaveit2bevo
05-06-2004, 02:22 PM

ha ha, no i only have about 1300 miles on it, not 13000 miles... but i'm thinking of switching to motul synthetic anyways.

bushur suggestes the stock mitsu fluid for the tranny they found out the hardway by going through 2 TCs

Takashi
05-06-2004, 04:31 PM

bushur suggestes the stock mitsu fluid for the tranny they found out the hardway by going through 2 TCs

good looking out... i think i'll scrap that idea. is that why their car didn't compete in the scc evo challenge?

leaveit2bevo
05-06-2004, 04:40 PM
no that was a different car.

GokuSSJ4
05-06-2004, 09:31 PM
im changing my tranny oils soon .. i know it help out bevo a lot went he did his .. the tranny got a lot smoother .. you never know and is worth the try ...

Takashi
05-06-2004, 09:43 PM
wait, didn't bevo just say not to change tranny oil? do you mean he replaced the old tranny oil with new oem oil?

leaveit2bevo
05-06-2004, 11:07 PM
yes change it with NEW OEM fluid thats what bushur recomends. My second gear grind is gone after I changed the fluids.

Takashi
05-07-2004, 12:00 AM
nothing like oem goodness...

Boosted
08-02-2004, 11:26 PM
As the title suggests, I am getting an odd rattle while downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear while traveling at low speeds (ie, coming to a stop). It's also occuring lightly from the 3-2 downshift. I have absolutely no idea what it could be. I tried tightening the endlinks to the swaybar and retorqued the strut bolts, but that's about it.

My evo has about 1200 miles on it, and the rattle was noticeable from about 500 miles and has been getting a little worse ever since. I doubt it's anything serious, but shit it's annoying!

Thanks in advance,
greg

do you have anything in the cup holder or other trays? hahaha just a thought

drmosh
08-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Do you have a downpipe?

That could be it.

Takashi
08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
wow, this was an old thread, but it's not like the rattle has gone away....

1. nothing in the cupholder! :)
2. no aftermarket dp.

as it seems to slowly be getting worse, it'll probably be in for warranty work on it.....

Ding Chavez
08-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Maybe try a throttle blip, it might help. Just a suggestion. If that doesnt work, either go have it cheacked out professionally or just dont do it anymore, i know my car does that, but then again, everything rattles on my old clunker.

Takashi
08-31-2004, 10:43 PM
yeah, the blip does help....

Pops
08-31-2004, 10:49 PM

Thanks in advance,
greg

It may be what the car does and you just noticed it at 500 miles. There is a lot of stock driveline noise.

It could be a bad syncro from a hard test drive, or.......

I've seen posts about door squeeks and rattles. You might want to search under the term "rattle" on this and related forums.

I know this sounds really stupid, but is anything in your ash tray or coin tray (by left knee)?

When shifting, the engine rocks back and forth slightly. You might also want to check the exhaust line from the exhaust manifold to the bolts holding the turbo, downpipe, mid pipe, hangers (those would probably cause a banging sound).

If none of this works for you, just turn up the music and keep your AAA card handy :lol: