PDA

View Full Version : Need help, oil change fiasco...

Takashi
05-06-2004, 09:39 PM
first of all the oil change was easy...

however, in the process, i unscrewed the completely wrong bolt to drain the oil, and now i'm a bit worried. i unscrewed the one directly next to the oil filter (the big silver one. about 24mm i think), and of course all the oil (about 4 ounces maybe) drained out of the line. i really have no idea what it's exact purpose is.
here are my two concerns:
1. does it need to be torqued down to spec? if so, what's the amount?
2. did i screw up an oil line? is the line supposed to be full of oil at all times?

damn it. well, i get the dumb ass award this nite. thanks for any help, in advance.

greg

CACalomino
05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
sounds like u drained the font diferential fluid out. IF so dont drive the car to far mabe a dealer at that or u can cause major problems.

_chris

izzy
05-06-2004, 11:27 PM
here are my two concerns:
1. does it need to be torqued down to spec? if so, what's the amount?
2. did i screw up an oil line? is the line supposed to be full of oil at all times?

1. Not really neccessary to torque it to spec. That bolt is for the oil temp thermostat for the oil cooler. Any oil that came out will be made up for when you go to fill in.
2. You didn't screw anything up. Oil will still fill up the hose once you start the car.

Wondering how you confused that bolt for the oil pan drain plug....

Takashi
05-06-2004, 11:58 PM
[quote="Takashi"]
Wondering how you confused that bolt for the oil pan drain plug....

i chalk it up to plain stupidity...

okay, so to continue on with the fiasco...
PART 2:
after tightening the bolt down, and replacing the oil and filter, i start the car. it runs fine for about 2 seconds, and then i hear a hissing noise... needless to say, i immediately shut her down.
as i come around the front end, i see oil everywhere. like valdes. it is EVERYWHERE, almost as if the 5 quarts that i put in came straight out.

long story short, the bolt was to an oil line. when i tightened it down, i didn't line up the alignment pin, so it prevented me from seating the bolt. in doing so, i bent the alignment pin, so we had to bend it back. the bolt is actually hollow, and serves as part of the line, so i had to make sure that when i tightened it, it lined up perfectly. put in MORE oil ($25 bux down the tubes...). BUT i took it for a spin, and all seems okay (knock on wood........).

what a friggin fiasco.
verdict: i am dumb.

Knower
05-07-2004, 12:07 PM
what a friggin fiasco.
verdict: i am dumb.

Well, I would say, verdict = you need to invest in a factory service manual. You're not dumb, it sounds like you figured it out, but service manuals are wonderful things.

Takashi
05-07-2004, 01:08 PM
very true. the service manual is now #1 on my "mod list" :)

spider
08-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Where can I get a copy of this service manual? I searched high and low and couldn't find one.

Thanks.

Dr. Evo
08-11-2004, 03:37 PM
I may be able to make some copies of the CD rom manual and distrubute it. I have to see if it is encoded.

augi1
08-11-2004, 03:47 PM
I may be able to make some copies of the CD rom manual and distrubute it. I have to see if it is encoded.

I bought 1 off of ebay for $5 and have made several copies of it already. I can make a copy for anyone who needs one.

spider
08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
After my post, I realized I had forgotten about checking ebay, so I just went there and bought a copy.

Blaze
08-11-2004, 04:50 PM
It'd be nice if someone who has too much time on their hands were to scan the Service Manual and put it online. (not certain if that's legal or not...). So I suggest someone else do it besides me. :D

"Oil is a pain in the ass. Save weight and run without it. You won't get far, but you'll get there FAST"

Blaze

alfredob1
08-11-2004, 09:05 PM
It would be a lot of pages. The ISO image is 160MB's large.

sr20
08-11-2004, 10:01 PM

I bought 1 off of ebay for $5 and have made several copies of it already. I can make a copy for anyone who needs one.

I'd appreciate that. Thanks

DTunedEvoX
08-12-2004, 09:04 AM
I can sure use it too .. I have aim - so if anyone else w/ broadband dosnt mind sending me the ISO or the files 1 by 1 I would graetly appriciate it too!

Paul Kendall
08-12-2004, 09:07 AM
I have a disk that has all the service/repair info needed for our car on disk. A friend from a mitsu dealership had an extra one and gave it to me.

augi1
08-12-2004, 09:15 AM
I have a disk that has all the service/repair info needed for our car on disk. A friend from a mitsu dealership had an extra one and gave it to me.

Does that have more/different info than the service manual CD's sold on ebay??

Paul Kendall
08-12-2004, 09:32 AM
No its actually the one they recieved from Mitsubishi the friend of mine is a tech at mitsu.