PDA

View Full Version : vr4 or evo

okaythen
05-12-2004, 01:08 PM
just got this 94 vr4 a month ago....previous owner replaced a lot of stuff so the car is kinda new...but there are little things breaking down here and there and I don't like it..thining about getting an evo....but evo looks like a sedan I like the look of vr4 better...not sure what to do..anyways...if I buy evo from people who already modded their car then I guess the mitsusbshi warranty is voided? or if I buy the car new and mod my self it's prolly voided ? but how about just intake that shouldn't void the warranty will it? exactly what will void it and what won't any idea?

drmosh
05-12-2004, 03:06 PM
VR4 is a tank, it may "look nicer" because it's a two door but it weighs almost 1/4 ton more than an EVO. Suspension isn't as good either.

JanSolo
05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
And then there is the upkeep involved with the 3000GT. A couple friends of mine owned them and called them money pits. But, I would just read around the web for proof.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-5AD5-1345F621-383C32CB-bd1

There are probably more examples of owners complaining about maintenance costs, unfortunately.

okaythen
05-12-2004, 03:38 PM
suspensionwise vr4 is same as evo I think....front macphearson, rear wishbone....

yeah maintenacne that's what I am compaintlng about...that's why I am thinking about getting a 03 new evo....other then some recalls that's covered by mitsusushi there prolly ain't much maintenace to worry about?

a new vr4 vs new evo the vr4 prolly cost more to maintain too...hmmm I might go test drive a evo soon if they give me a good deal

JanSolo
05-12-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd say the Evo handles better than the VR4 hands down. But what the VR4 has over the Evo is displacement and torque. Nonetheless, I do not believe the VR4 would be a more interesting or fun car than the Evo.

leaveit2bevo
05-12-2004, 04:09 PM
vr4 is no where near the same suspesion as the evo, evo is a better handler hands down not to mention the vr4 is a whale.

ReHeat
05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
I would suggest you get the Evo. I had a 3000GT for a few years before I got the Evo, and it was a money pit. Plus the Evo handles much better.

han74j
05-12-2004, 06:17 PM
yeah, a new car is better than a used. a used have way more problems...

Coolguy949
05-12-2004, 06:35 PM
suspensionwise vr4 is same as evo I think....front macphearson, rear wishbone....

but the VR-4 doesnt have inverted struts

Macky
05-12-2004, 06:46 PM
i used to own a 3000GT and barely spent money on it except for maintenance. it was trouble-free and reliable 24/7.

...but it wasnt the famed VR4, it was a dohc non turbo with a j-spec motor that i didnt think id let go, but i did for the EVO.

go to www.3si.org/portal/forums and ull see that most if not a majority of VR4 owners spend lots of money just to keep their VR4s running. true that thing is a beast, but the EVO is better. im not saying this should be a coz the two are completely different, but bang for the buck and reliabilty are two strong points the evo has over the VR4.

tabio42
05-12-2004, 11:25 PM
I heard that the trannies on the VR4's were made of chocolate. A little more power and you've got a delicious mess. Is there truth to that?

tabio42
05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
BTW how are inverted struts better?

EvolvedDSM
05-12-2004, 11:38 PM
I heard that the trannies on the VR4's were made of chocolate. A little more power and you've got a delicious mess. Is there truth to that?

VR4 trannies/transfer cases were made by Getrag. Your EVO transfer case is made by Getrag. Draw your own conclusions...

leaveit2bevo
05-13-2004, 12:23 AM

VR4 trannies/transfer cases were made by Getrag. Your EVO transfer case is made by Getrag. Draw your own conclusions...

all that means is one design is better than the other.

Ricardon
05-13-2004, 12:30 AM
or if I buy the car new and mod my self it's prolly voided ? but how about just intake that shouldn't void the warranty will it? exactly what will void it and what won't any idea?

You wouldn't want to install just an intake on the EVO. And it really is up to the particular dealer you take the car to. There was a guy that just had his engine warranty denied because he had an aftermarket clutch installed...no joke, sad story.

okaythen
05-13-2004, 12:48 AM
or if I buy the car new and mod my self it's prolly voided ? but how about just intake that shouldn't void the warranty will it? exactly what will void it and what won't any idea?

You wouldn't want to install just an intake on the EVO. And it really is up to the particular dealer you take the car to. There was a guy that just had his engine warranty denied because he had an aftermarket clutch installed...no joke, sad story.

can't he go to another daeler or he has to do it at the dealer that he bought the car from

Ricardon
05-13-2004, 12:50 AM
sure, he can go wherever he wants. But Mitsu dealers are unfortunately not known for their "service"

Anonymous
11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Just get an EVO. So you void the warranty... who cares?! If you're not planning to go all out and mod the hell out of it... then why buy an intake? If you get an intake, you gotta tune it with a new ecu/piggyback. Than you'll end up w between 10 and 20 hp if you're lucky. Oh, and the styling... I never pictured myself owning a 4-door. But when you lower the EVO, put some nice rims on, get rid of the ugly altezzas, put a carbon fiber hood on... and you're set. Mods or no mods... it's a quick, fun to drive car.