PDA

View Full Version : How do I launch my EVO?

QwkSilver
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
I just got my EVO like 2 weeks ago and it has 1,300 miles on it so far. I've considered it broken in since 1,000 miles (I changed the oil). I am having a hard time trying to launch the car. When I do, I usually slip the clutch a little bit, but it doesn't grab, and the clutch just burns away. How the hell do you launch this car? I am tired of being whipped by 2wd cars off the line because my clutch is slipping so badly.

-M

gt40
05-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Unless you want to replace your clutch by 5k, don't "launch" it. You will want to replace with a good twin plate if you are going to do a lot of launches...

QwkSilver
05-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Unless you want to replace your clutch by 5k, don't "launch" it. You will want to replace with a good twin plate if you are going to do a lot of launches...

Ok, let's assume that I have a better clutch and it grabs properly. Still, how do you launch an AWD?? Do you just take the revs up and dump the clutch? Or do you slip it till the wheels begin to roll? It's a very tricky technique. and very frustrating too..:(

-M

han74j
05-20-2004, 04:33 PM
its almost impossible to lunch with stock car, if you want to lunch change clutch fluid, clutch line, shifter bushings. edit: lunching what im thinking is peeling out. and listen to Richard...... our tranny clutch suxxxxx

Chris in SD
05-20-2004, 06:25 PM
The only way to launch effectively is dial in about 5500 rpms and slip the hell out of the clutch. Prepare for takeoff and stinky clutch smells...

Random_EVO8
05-20-2004, 07:11 PM
yeh i seem to have been pretty sucsessfull at doing it but they are all right about the clutch sucking.....if you notice your car start to go high on rpms when lets say passing another car on the freeway and then dropping about 800 rpm your clutch is sooner or later gonna dump on you. If you wanna make it a drag car deffinetly start with the clutch before you start putting on the BIG horse....im not speeking from much experience but im tellin ya what little i know about my car.

Knower
05-20-2004, 07:57 PM
I just got my EVO like 2 weeks ago and it has 1,300 miles on it so far. I've considered it broken in since 1,000 miles (I changed the oil). I am having a hard time trying to launch the car. When I do, I usually slip the clutch a little bit, but it doesn't grab, and the clutch just burns away. How the hell do you launch this car? I am tired of being whipped by 2wd cars off the line because my clutch is slipping so badly.

-M

Like Mark said, you probably don't want to be launching it on the stock clutch (or at all). But, it sounds like you want to beat on your car no matter what. You can always dump the clutch at five to six thousand RPM and hope nothing breaks. Slipping it for just long enough to get the drivetrain to get loaded (car just starts to move) and then quickly letting the clutch out (not just sidestepping it) would work almost as well and potentially save your drivetrain.

gt40
05-20-2004, 08:18 PM
the evo has as much rubber on the ground as a viper and sticky tires so with the tires not roasting, the load goes to the clutch. If you get a monster clutch then the tranny and diffs get pissed. Drivetrain repairs are expensive...

GokuSSJ4
05-20-2004, 08:54 PM
not worth , you can PM smogrunner since he has over 16k on the stock clutch with tons of drag racing on it. But he can be one of those lucky ones .

Temjin
05-20-2004, 10:42 PM
My friend who attended Skip Barber Drag School taught me how to launch an AWD car.

A good launch requires timing of the turbo and the release of the clutch.

1. Depress clutch entirely, and keep it depressed.
2. Put into first gear
3. Repeat Reving the throttle to the desired RPM (4000-6500), and try to maintain a rhythm.
4. As you are climbing RPM on the last rev, release clutch slightly until it slips.
5. Then floor the throttle as you dump the clutch

Steps 3, 4, 5 happen quickly, but just remember that you are pressing one pedal, and releasing the other. Just a matter of modulating the timing of the two pedals. The intensity of the launch will depend on the RPM.

The power generated by the engine is transmitted to the flywheel, clutch, transmission, axles, and ultimately to the wheels and tires. FWD and RWD cars have the drawback of loosing the power at the tires resulting in peeling. An AWD car does not have that weakness, and when the flywheel and clutch are engaged at the right RPM and Boost, the car will “launch” in every sense of the word. According to my friend, if the car bogs…then it probably means there wasn’t enough boost /high RPM or the clutch was dumped too soon. If you smell too much clutch, then you over slipped it without releasing the clutch sooner.

Contrary to general belief, a launch is not always accompanied by the smell of burnt clutch. The problem lies in acquiring the timing at the cost of multiple fuck ups and wear and tear to clutch and drivetrain-I am just over 35,000 miles and I am on my third clutch with no more Powertrain Warranty. If you clutch starts slipping at the higher gears, then it is a good time to practice knowing that you will need to replace the clutch anyway. Otherwise there’s no need to practice if car is new. Launches were useful for autocross, where I saw a 1 to 2 second improvement in Lap time. If you want to learn to Launch, then learn to “Clutch Kick” as well, and do drifts with the Evo.
:lol:

BOVBILLY
05-21-2004, 08:06 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!

BOVBILLY
05-21-2004, 08:06 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!

Blak94GSX
05-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Basically the stock clutch will keep slipping once it starts. So you need to engage the clutch pretty aggressively to minimize the amount of time it is slipping. General list of things to do in order here:

Stock turbo, stock clutch, tires at 20PSI (technique varies a bit depending on the clutch and spooling of the turbo)

-Hold RPM at 4000 steady, part throttle, car in 1st gear, clutch all the way down
-When you are ready to go, floor throttle while simultaneously bring foot up on the clutch pedal quick but not dumping it, the instant the car moves, bring the clutch pedal up all the way as fast as you can without taking your foot off the pedal
-ride 1st gear out to 7200 RPM, shift to second, always push the clutch pedal to the floor for every shift

Temjin
05-22-2004, 08:25 PM
-Hold RPM at 4000 steady, part throttle, car in 1st gear, clutch all the way down

This only applies to NA cars. Remember the evo has 19 PSI of boost-you will not be generating any turbo boost by holding the throttle steady. This is the reason that you repeat reving the throttle to maintain and get as much boost as possible for the launch. Try using the turbo gauge if launching.

ride 1st gear out to 7200 RPM, shift to second, always push the clutch pedal to the floor for every shift.

The end of the torque range for a stock evo is at 6500 RPM., which is also the optimal shift point. Are you referrning to an evo?

Blak94GSX
05-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Yes

BUDLoNG
05-22-2004, 08:34 PM
if u decide to get an aftermarket clutch you will void your drivetrain warranty... and as it was said before, drivetrain repairs are $$$$$$!

BUDLoNG

moogle
05-22-2004, 08:54 PM
an Ok launch on stock clutch. 3500 rpm slip for a second and let go. I got 13.8 doing that when I was stock! I am on 11k stock clutch no probs.

Blak94GSX
05-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Just to clarify my launch post:

It is important to hold the RPM steady since if you pump the throttle the turbo spools too much and stock clutch will just slip and burn up. By holding the RPM steady at 4000 and then flooring the throttle while engaging the clutch, it spools the turbo just enough for it to not bog. The timing between flooring the throttle and engaging the clutch is adjusted to compensate for grip conditions. The longer the delay between flooring the throttle and engaging the clutch, the harder it will launch, but also brings the clutch closer to the slipping point.

1st gear is taken to 7200 RPM to put 2nd gear into the proper starting RPM. 1st gear doesn't produce a lot of load, leading to slower spool, so the higher RPM range is more usable.

Typically the shift points are 7200, 6600 and 6200.

Ralliartpnoi
07-26-2004, 06:32 AM
I launch by keeping the clutch really near the engage point. (finding this by letting clutch out til car moves forward without any gas.) Then pulse the engine around 5000rpm to 5500rpm's. When i pulse the gas and play with the clutch a little, you can feel the car lunge forward then back ready to launch. After that, when launching i slip the clutch a little til the cars nose pulls upward. I slip it to that point then just let go completely. Out of first gear the cars nose should stay up and not drop down until i guess 2nd. I can feel if i have a good launch cuz the car moves forward a lil bit, then all of a sudden it just pulls me back into my seat. I think a good launch is if the cars nose doesnt drop while in 1st gear. and from 2nd gear you should know what to do...

I burnt my clutch doing this technique,(cant say i regret it cuz i learned from it tho) and theres no way to avoid it from my experience. I have launched a few times and not even smelt any burnt clutch, but i think those were crappy launches if i recall. uhmm what else should i say? Dont Launch!!! its bad!!! I did it cuz im young and reckless J/k, actually cuz everytime at a light my friends WRX always peer pressures me. He likes to launch on me everywhere we go. Gosh, he wont leave me alone. But after i learned how to launch, I just pull away from him everytime... and he leaves me alone now! =) i launched on 3 subies with same mods, full TBE, intake, and ecu reflash. They keep wanting to race and OMG its soo annoying!! launching off all of them, I pulled on them i guess 2 or 3 cars. depending on if they launched perfectly or not. I got owned once and that was the first time i launched, i bogged my car and embarassed myself in front of everyone by just stopping at the light cuz somehow my gear popped out and i almost stalled!!!. =\

does anybody have problems getting into 2nd gear tho? sometimes it doesnt go in, i guess im mis-shifting....i hate when i grind 2nd tho. 2nd gear must be the most grinded in my tranny =*(

Deca Auto
08-08-2004, 01:30 PM
I launch by keeping the clutch really near the engage point. (finding this by letting clutch out til car moves forward without any gas.) Then pulse the engine around 5000rpm to 5500rpm's. When i pulse the gas and play with the clutch a little, you can feel the car lunge forward then back ready to launch. After that, when launching i slip the clutch a little til the cars nose pulls upward. I slip it to that point then just let go completely. Out of first gear the cars nose should stay up and not drop down until i guess 2nd. I can feel if i have a good launch cuz the car moves forward a lil bit, then all of a sudden it just pulls me back into my seat. I think a good launch is if the cars nose doesnt drop while in 1st gear. and from 2nd gear you should know what to do...

I burnt my clutch doing this technique,(cant say i regret it cuz i learned from it tho) and theres no way to avoid it from my experience. I have launched a few times and not even smelt any burnt clutch, but i think those were crappy launches if i recall. uhmm what else should i say? Dont Launch!!! its bad!!! I did it cuz im young and reckless J/k, actually cuz everytime at a light my friends WRX always peer pressures me. He likes to launch on me everywhere we go. Gosh, he wont leave me alone. But after i learned how to launch, I just pull away from him everytime... and he leaves me alone now! =) i launched on 3 subies with same mods, full TBE, intake, and ecu reflash. They keep wanting to race and OMG its soo annoying!! launching off all of them, I pulled on them i guess 2 or 3 cars. depending on if they launched perfectly or not. I got owned once and that was the first time i launched, i bogged my car and embarassed myself in front of everyone by just stopping at the light cuz somehow my gear popped out and i almost stalled!!!. =\

does anybody have problems getting into 2nd gear tho? sometimes it doesnt go in, i guess im mis-shifting....i hate when i grind 2nd tho. 2nd gear must be the most grinded in my tranny =*(

I used to have grinding problems in second gear when I was running on the strip. I'm guessing the car wasn't fully broken in yet cause I'm not a noob driver and the car had like a thousand miles only.

I feel you about having friends with subbies pressuring you to launch. Their clutch last well over 30,000 miles and they can launch whenever they want.

nukee
10-11-2004, 02:23 AM
is the evo8 stronger than the evo7 in terms of launching the car? I always want to launch my car, but never find the courage to do so... if i do a few launches will my clutch survive or just a few launches will already burn up my clutch?

EvoVIII
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
is the evo8 stronger than the evo7 in terms of launching the car? I always want to launch my car, but never find the courage to do so... if i do a few launches will my clutch survive or just a few launches will already burn up my clutch?
really depends on if you know how to launch it or not

nukee
10-12-2004, 12:34 AM
well, how do you know if you're launching it right or not?

Smogrunner
11-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Slipping the stock clutch is a recipe for disaster unless you are a pro (which I am not!). Reving too high (at or above 6500rpm) and dropping is the second worse thing to do.

Simple: You need to get the tires spinning off the line. If the tires spin, there is a manageable amount of stress on the driveline.
This method will get you 1.8 60ft times (not bad but not great either) all day on a lightly modded Evo 272 to 350bhp:
1. Put 35lbs of air in stock or similar tires.
2. Rev the engine to 6000rpms.
3. Drop the clutch fairly fast, but not as fast as you can.
4. The tires will spin about half way through first. Be ready for them to catch. When they do catch, look at the tach and shift at around 7200rpms.

As you get better, and more comfortable with this approach, let a little more air out the tires. I wouldn't go too low though, maybe 30lbs. I personally like a lot of air in my tires, even now. The 1.65 60ft time I did a couple of weeks ago was on less grippy than stock Advans (Michelin Pilot Sports) at 34lbs. Remember, more air in the tires should help MPH as your roll with less resistance. Also, as you get better you can drop the clutch at lower and lower rpms until you get to the point where the tires will spin, but just enough to NOT bog. I use the term drop instead of slip because that is what I believe works. BEWARE: When you start getting to the mid to low 5000 rpms, you risk bogging, which will break and burn stuff. Play it safe.

As you mod your car more, the technique you use depends on your mods. With my current setup, I slip my Cusco twin disk fairly fast when climbing my rpms up somewhat quickly. I engage at around 4800rpms, I think...

Of course, I am only sharing what worked for me on my particular Evo. I pulled my stock clutch at over 20,000 miles. It was still in good shape.

shack4g63
11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
i had a problem with launching when i first got my evo. i was tryn the hold at certain rpm and drop,the clutch sliped hard! but the best method is to rev hard like u want to burnout in a front or rear drive vehicle and drop the clutch.i have used this method and have no problems with my clutch and i just hit 18k.my tires on the other hand are a whole new story :lol:

diego88
03-13-2009, 10:26 PM
so its not good to be doing this frequently with stock clutch right? i launched mine and you could smell the clutch when i got home

DOHCtor
03-13-2009, 10:48 PM
necro bump

gen4k20a2
03-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Aw crap... this thread is 5 fucking years old man!~

DOHCtor
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
I didn't bump it, diego88 did.

pikadosboy
03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Aw crap... this thread is 5 fucking years old man!~
hahahahahahahaha!

STIH8TER
03-14-2009, 01:08 AM
you are not suppose to launch the car stupid!!! havent you seen the videos when edmunds talked about how the clutch will boggle? last year i saw this brand new evo x black. It was at long beach mitsu.... the parts guy said the kid that owned it launched it too many times and his clutch was fucked... he only had 1500 miles on it. The only time you can beat someone is on the roll through traffic already... but you don't want to do that either. drive safe.

DOHCtor
03-14-2009, 01:21 AM
you are not suppose to launch the car stupid!!! havent you seen the videos when edmunds talked about how the clutch will boggle? last year i saw this brand new evo x black. It was at long beach mitsu.... the parts guy said the kid that owned it launched it too many times and his clutch was fucked... he only had 1500 miles on it. The only time you can beat someone is on the roll through traffic already... but you don't want to do that either. drive safe.
Next time check when the thread was made before answering the TS :lol:

STIH8TER
03-14-2009, 01:42 AM
^^ haha oops i guess that got me.

caliEVO619
03-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Even though this tread is 5 years old. Why has no one told him what to do. Uhhhh hold the gas down, and 2-step that bitch, then slip the clutch and take off. Duh?

mrobs15
03-14-2009, 01:46 AM
we need to start slapping people who bump these ancient threads.

we need to have the noobs read how to use a forum before using them. Â*O0
:mitsu:

pikadosboy
03-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Next time check when the thread was made before answering the TS :lol:
Dumb noobs!

pikadosboy
03-14-2009, 08:13 AM

we need to have the noobs read how to use a forum before using them. Â*O0
Ill say one day Ban to whoever bump this ancient threads!

AlphaKennyBody
03-19-2009, 03:51 AM
^ lol

Anyways everyone has their own way of launching their Evos... Really depends on the car cause I've seen people try to launch their evo in someone elses car like in their own and FAILS... lol youtube!

1/led/ft
03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Bump

evopaul
03-19-2009, 07:16 AM

we need to have the noobs read how to use a forum before using them.Â* O0
Ill say one day Ban to whoever bump this ancient threads!

Bump

:2funny:

pikadosboy
03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Bump
You Fucker! Fuck it bump it up.

Sean penn
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
u can try the e-brake launch. It's the best way to prolong the life of the tranny and clutch. PM' Me for more details on that.

ninjaman
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
i launch my car once in a while just to get that thrill feeling...I don't smell anything burning neither...I usually launch it at 6k..then i just let go of the clutch and it launches like a sling shot..lol..i never had to replace my clutch...i bought a brand new 9 in 2006 and i still didnt replace my clutch with 31000 miles...

1/led/ft
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Bump
You Fucker!Â* Fuck it bump it up.

Hahhahaaa its so easy piss fools off on here :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

nicklulu
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
here's how you do it.....

:2funny:

vial8or
03-20-2009, 02:29 PM
so its not good to be doing this frequently with stock clutch right? i launched mine and you could smell the clutch when i got home

Wow there should be a rule about this.
Necro bumping a 5yr old thread should require an Insta-ban!

1/led/ft
03-20-2009, 06:18 PM
hahahahahaahaaaaa

xxblazexx
03-22-2009, 02:05 AM
i was always told dont launch it on stock clutch

Dead_Pirate
03-22-2009, 03:34 AM
just rev the shit out of your car around 4,000 then dump the clutch and KAAABOOOOOM! you just launched and blew up your car.....

GL!

CS05EVO
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I never straight drop the clutch at 5500, WRC style. I slip it a little at 2500-3000 RPM to build a bit of boost then release smoothly. Works great, not a lot of stress on the driveline.

Dr_Evo_9
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
What you want to do is put the car in race mode!
look for the "R" on your knob..... put it in gear rev to 8 grand pull the E brake up and drop the clutch super quik
doing so will have you running 10 sec 1/4 miles all day my friend

ninjaman
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
LOL... R = Race mode

drknite
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
i didnt read all the threads but itsnt this why the EVO comes with launch control? so u hold the gas to the floor and the car RPMS just bounce at 5500 to maintain that boost?

VinceR
04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
just rev the shit out of your car around 4,000 then dump the clutch and KAAABOOOOOM! you just launched and blew up your car.....

GL!

LOL you wont blow it up I used to drag race out in el paso, 7,000rpm launchesÂ* and dump the clutch back when it was stock. It took more than once to break the transfer case more like 75-80 launches like that will though....but yeah its really hard on the driveline . I dont drag race anymore though, well I might come out of retirement LOL... but no dumping the clutch anymore slip the clutch at around 5-5.5k rpm and hold on...

one4
04-25-2009, 12:05 AM
launched for the first time tonight...dumped it at 5000. it was fun but i dont plan on doing it again lol. i want to preserve my stock clutch and drivetrain for as long as possible. its at about 32k right now still working fine

nicklulu
04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
how do I eat lunch in my Evo?!

Oh, wait. Launch! nevermind. :D