PDA

View Full Version : Cusco lower cross bars or Works rear sway bar?

WOT
06-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I recently discovered how the handling went to s**t during the time my lower cross bar was off to make spacers up after a DP install.

So it got me thinking, which would be a better handling upgrade without making the ride any worse than it is.

Cusco lower cross bars, version 1 & 2 or a works rear sway bar?

Any RMR lower cross bar input would be nice too.

My evo came with the front & rear strut tower bars & everything handling wise is stock. I just hustle my car to & from work.

Thanks.

GokuSSJ4
06-16-2004, 11:58 AM
i have RRE's rear sway bar but the car is also set up by john mueller. Tuning the suspension is a must IMO, specially if you plan to track the car. You will be surprise what the car can do tune properly by Mueller.

tama_mog
06-16-2004, 12:02 PM
I have the rmr downpipe right now, so I also have the rmr brace so that the dp can clear. The thing I did was keep the rear part of the factory brace and replaced the front part with the rmr brace.....this was quite a bitch to do and to make the bolts fit but it worked out. In addition to this I also have the cusco rear sway, it definitely tightens it up in the back. Soon as I replace my clutch, I'll put in cusco's front sway as well, that one is a bitch to get to.

han74j
06-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Cusco Lower Arm Bar V1 + V2

Cusco Rear Sway Bar 23mm

Cusco Trunk Bar

Cusco Rear V-Brace + OST rear Sturd bar

Cusco Front Titanium Sturd Bar

is the best set up! Im a cusco fan =)

Edit: Energy Bushings

JWest
06-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Please drive a properly set-up car, before changing your front anti-role bar.

Bigger front bar = more understeer (tries to pull the inside tire of the ground)

People more famous than I agree: understeer is understeer, oversteer is oversteer, and understeer is SLOW!

As for the orginal question: a properly installed, correctly sized rear anti-role bar will have a much greater effect on the handling of your EVO than changing the lower braces.

JW

leaveit2bevo
06-19-2004, 01:06 PM
the RMR bar is fucking stupid, hey lets take something that is suppost to be strong and rigid and but a bend in it to fit a DP. Just pm Mark (gt40) about getting a custom one.

Absinthe
06-19-2004, 01:20 PM
I have the rmr downpipe right now, so I also have the rmr brace so that the dp can clear. The thing I did was keep the rear part of the factory brace and replaced the front part with the rmr brace.....this was quite a bitch to do and to make the bolts fit but it worked out. In addition to this I also have the cusco rear sway, it definitely tightens it up in the back. Soon as I replace my clutch, I'll put in cusco's front sway as well, that one is a bitch to get to.

I did this too to clear the rmr DP and the car is definately more stable through the rough stuff, the bar GT40 makes is much stiffer than any aftermarket bar but does hang lower.

In any case None of these will give you near the handeling improvement tyhat a properly set rear sway bar will.

gt40
06-19-2004, 03:58 PM
i have RRE's rear sway bar but the car is also set up by john mueller. Tuning the suspension is a must IMO, specially if you plan to track the car. You will be surprise what the car can do tune properly by Mueller.

Putting the rear sway without tuning the suspension will likely cause you to lift your inside rear wheel during cornering. Everything needs to be setup to work together. When I put on my rear sway before mueller setup the car, I lifted almost a foot of the ground.

Check out the progress rear sway also. It is beefier than many of the others.

Regarding lower braces, we have a new low profile design that doesn't hang down....

spider
07-13-2004, 12:50 AM

A little off-topic... how much lighter is the front Ti strut bar than the stock one?

Thanks.

Absinthe
07-13-2004, 08:43 AM
cant be more than 5-10 pounds

Absinthe
07-13-2004, 08:48 AM

Cusco Rear Sway Bar 23mm

Cusco Trunk Bar

Dont do this you will waste A LOT of money and have a car with some pretty odd handeling characteristics .

Just go to RRE have them install a sway bar and alllign your car for it, For about the price of that Ti-STRUT bar. Bolting on all those above parts with no tunning (allignment) is a waste.

Would you put in a new feul system and bigger turbo with out tunning? why buy suspension that way?

WOT
07-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the insight guys! RRE is evidently the choice of most here in so. ca.

Thanks again

Ricardon
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM

A little off-topic... how much lighter is the front Ti strut bar than the stock one?

Thanks.

The cusco front Ti STRUT tower bar weighs...are you ready...1 pound! Pretty insane huh?

Anyway, the front lower arm brace and the rear sway have nothing to with each other as has been posted. The front bar helps with the front end stiffness, and helps the arms work a little more cleanly, especially over the rough stuff. Mark and I will be making up a new batch of the new redesigned custom ones shortly. Let either of us know if you want one...it's killer and it's cheap (like all the great custom parts hehe) If you want something that is heavier, less rigid, and more expensive, go on the internet and buy one of the namebrands!

Takashi
07-13-2004, 05:43 PM
rre swaybar with tune, and perhaps a works croxx lower arm bar replacement...

500whp
07-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Cusco Rear Sway Bar 23mm

Cusco Trunk Bar

Dont do this you will waste A LOT of money and have a car with some pretty odd handeling characteristics .

Just go to RRE have them install a sway bar and alllign your car for it, For about the price of that Ti-STRUT bar. Bolting on all those above parts with no tunning (allignment) is a waste.

Would you put in a new feul system and bigger turbo with out tunning? why buy suspension that way?

Yes yes you do need to tune your suspension like everythign elese in your car!

Everything w/ out the sways dont think you need to "tune" your suspension. Of course if you do "tune" it you might gain a little, but from my personal experience the lower arm bars you dont need tuning it! You just feel like you can control your car better!

One thing that costs you 0 dollars, is your tire pressure! i think you lose something like 1-5 psi a month, not sure. But you lose psi each month, and if your tire is very very low of psi you will not perform at your "100%" and also there will be a higher chance for your tires to pop!

Ricardon
07-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Another note...I could be wrong, but if you add every single Cusco brace that is listed (not talking about the sways of course) you don't need to tune anything. They are simply chasis braces. Just get a proper alignment, which you'll need ANYWAY. The first mods I did to my car were the Cusco OST front strut brace (replaced later with the Cusco Ti front strut brace), Cusco CB rear strut brace, Cusco trunk reinforcement bar, and our custom lower arm brace. The stiffer the chasis, the better you will take advantage of that sweet RRE alignment!

Absinthe
07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Another note...I could be wrong, but if you add every single Cusco brace that is listed (not talking about the sways of course) you don't need to tune anything. They are simply chasis braces. Just get a proper alignment, which you'll need ANYWAY. The first mods I did to my car were the Cusco OST front strut brace (replaced later with the Cusco Ti front strut brace), Cusco CB rear strut brace, Cusco trunk reinforcement bar, and our custom lower arm brace. The stiffer the chasis, the better you will take advantage of that sweet RRE alignment!

Rich you are mostly right but in some cars the dynamic allignment can be much different with the cross braces on than with out them, especially beefier ones like those made by you and Mark.

Second didnt you pay any where near list for that stuff did you? Think about what you'll get more out of: Ti-strut bar or RRE sway/allignment.

leaveit2bevo
07-14-2004, 11:30 AM
400 for a strut bar fuck that, I held that Ti-strut bar it felt flimsy as hell not rigid at all.

alfredob1
07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Whatever, Bevo. You must have been holding your wang, because that Ti strut bar was plenty rigid, not like your limp a$$ pecker. :P

leaveit2bevo
07-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Whatever, Bevo. You must have been holding your wang, because that Ti strut bar was plenty rigid, not like your limp a$$ pecker. :P

HAHAHAHA sounds like sombody also bought a Ti-strut and is having fantasys about my wang :lol:

alfredob1
07-14-2004, 11:37 AM
And I don't actually have one (strut bar that is) but I did handle it (the bar again).

leaveit2bevo
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
maybe the one you handled was better (could be my wang or bar)

GokuSSJ4
07-14-2004, 12:17 PM
the ti -bar that Mark bought , wasnt it around 280.00 ??
i know he was able to pick it up for a good amount

Ricardon
07-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Bevo, you...like Goku...are starting to really make some silly comments now. When you handled my Ti strut bar you said it was flimsy...It's light you fool. Anything that is extremely light is going to feel less substantial. It's TITANIUM...go figure it out.

As far as it being worth $400...maybe not. Better than an RRE alignment...hell no. But I didn't get it for anywhere close to list price, and it was worth it for what i got it for.