PDA

View Full Version : AWJunkies Dyno Day July 10th

Tarmac02
07-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Ok guys it is all setup! We will have an AWJunkies DYNO day Extravaganza. It is on July 10th starting at 9am - when last car gets done. It will be 50$ for the 3 runs (yes $10 cheaper now). This will be a car meet and going away event for Brian (chooch)! We will have an AWJunkies raffle too. It will have shirts, hats, visers, car parts, TBD performance parts, and bonus stuff to be raffled. Trust me you dont want to miss this!

Harman Motive, Inc.
340 Van Ness Ave Unit E
Torrance, CA 90501
phone : (310) 618-0284
[email protected]

http://www.harmanautomotive.com/contact/mapquest.gif

We will have a HUGE caravan up to this event. Everyone who wants to get a dyno and can go this day please contact me or post here so I can reserve a spot for you.

This will be a huge event not just a dyno but a gathering of AWJunkies preportions. Lets represent!

For sure!
1. Diego (caltech_s4)
2. David (subindiego)
3. Derek (tarmac02)
4. SilvaScoobie
5. Gus (blueandgoldrex)
6. Dan (WRXLR8)
7. Shane (StickyWRX)
8. Scott (lilWRXer760)
9. Jock (joubtt)
10. Jason (Brokenneckj)
11. KoolWagonRex
12. Jeff (JDMAddict)
13. Randi (KINGSKY)
14. Matt (Karmak)
15. John (JohnW)
16. kaisho99
17. Alex (4CYLNDR)
18. Steve (SSwest)
19. Jesse (YellowDubRX)
20. Sean (tyndago)
21. LVjester

Maybe list
1. Branden (Ursine)
2. Karen (SUBEGiRL)
3. Cole (cskelly)
4. Brian (Chooch)

50 cars from LA so far
50 cars from SD so far
much more to come!

One of Gardner Automotive Communications' clients, RB Motoring, will be in attendance.

RB specializes in the importation and legalization of Nissan Skylines. They also are a full service parts and accessories reseller and tuning shop. In addition to selling a host of high-end performance parts, they tune drag cars, road race cars, and street cars.

They will be raffling off a couple TBD performance parts and will be giving out free stickers. In addition they will be bringing their EVO which was featured in the latest Sport Compact Car shootout along with Nick Wong's 1992 Skyline GT-R, which has been prepped for such contests as the Ultimate Streetcar Challenge and Time Attack. This car may be the most finely tuned Skyline in the entire country, and has put out in excess of 600 WHP.

RB Motoring's staff will be on hand to answer questions, go over parts offerings, and potentially give ride alongs in their project cars. To learn more about RB, please visit www.rbmotoring.com.

Motor Trend will be there!

leaveit2bevo
07-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I may be coming 50 for 3 runs is to good to pass up.

Ralliartpnoi
07-02-2004, 01:07 AM
50 bucks, heck ill be there and i live in carson too haha so close!! oh and btw im just new to socalevo.net, this is my first post. see all you guys there!!

Tarmac02
07-02-2004, 07:36 AM
I hope they have more than one dyno with all these people... LOL

but that's why it says 9am to whenever I guess, should be cool nonetheless

Ralliartpnoi
07-02-2004, 04:41 PM
my friends wrx wants in on this too, so save a spot for him too. cring02wrx <- put that on the list and dont forget meeh!!

kaisho99
07-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Few days left. If you want to get some dyno time better post up here ASAP...

http://www.awjunkies.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1769

Ralliartpnoi
07-07-2004, 02:14 AM
how many evo's are going? i hope theres more of us than sube's, but most likely not since sube's been out longer in us market :(

Tarmac02
07-07-2004, 10:33 PM
more than likely mostly subies

AWJunkies started out subie only but a vote in the board of directors welcomed all AWD... bout 3 months ago. There should be a few of US EVOs and some sick audis... a couple stg3 S4s and prolly a few hooked a4s...

and some of the subies are absolutely sick... one to keep an eye on is Randis GC impreza w/ ej20 swap vf30 tuned by I-Speed USA... lookin at probably 290+ at the wheels in a car that weighs about 2700 lbs

moogle
07-08-2004, 12:34 AM
count me in tarmac.

Ralliartpnoi
07-08-2004, 02:29 AM
this dyno day will be the first meet that i will goto, it'll be really cool to meet the people i talk to on this forum

all im going to have by then is a K&n panel filter and octane booster. what do you think my whp will be around roughly?

me having a front mechanical lsd, do you think i will lose power or gain power?

moogle
07-08-2004, 02:53 AM
You wont lose power.

You'll prob get in the high 230 low 240's. Oh yeah octane booster don't do crap.

Ralliartpnoi
07-08-2004, 02:57 AM
You wont lose power.

You'll prob get in the high 230 low 240's. Oh yeah octane booster don't do crap.

are you serious? so its koo to run on crappy california 91 octane? i was reading the owners manual and it said that the car was tuned for 93 octane, but can do 91 octane

moogle
07-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Yah it is tune for 93 but I am just saying octane booster don't boost your octane. Go add toluel or cool blue 100 octane.

Ralliartpnoi
07-08-2004, 04:44 AM
haha toluene, my cousin told me to do that with my old 240sx i had. i heard its a really good octane booster for cheap, since i can buy alot of it from home depot :P the idea of it is a go for me if i was still driving my old 240sx, but i have doubts on putting it in my evo since its brand new. all gas today is unleaded, i read that the octance effect was raised before by lead in gas back in the day, but it left too much deposits blah blah blah.
ie: 02 sensor damage or something like that, isnt toluene's octane boosting effect because of the fact that it has lead in it?

toluene is what i consider hardcore octane boost
and the shit you buy at pep boys are the safe ones, they do emphasize "street legal. and they say that it is not harmful to your 02 sensors blah blah blah", unless you buy the ones that say "OFF-ROAD ONLY"

i had bad ass mileage after putting all the off road formula octane boosters on my 240sx. fixed that when i put in a new 02 sensor, after that i switched to weaker but safer octane boosts.. so with my evo, i stick to the stuff at the pep boys

Tarmac02
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
There wasa conversation about this a while back and someone mentioned that Mitsubishi says not to run octane booster in the EVOs...

Tarmac02
07-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Bevo you goin so I can compile this list???

Tarmac02
07-08-2004, 08:32 AM
moogle... gotcha on the main list...

see you there

GokuSSJ4
07-08-2004, 08:33 AM
octane booster sucks !! i used it a while back and all it did was kill my spark plugs.
If you want higher octane mix some 100 octane gas with 91 problem solve.

Paul Kendall
07-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Go and find a gas station that sells 100 octane unleaded fuel, put 3.5 gallons in and fill the rest with 91 and you should be running at 93 octane levels. right now 100 sells for 5 dollors per gallon.

STiTHIS
07-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Any dyno time still available...?

kaisho99
07-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Any dyno time still available...?

aww damn! detter's gonna blow all of us away LOL

Tarmac02
07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Deiter... just come man and see if you can get in there... reply over at AWJ too....

I don't even know if there's gonna be enough time for half the people.... it's gonna go late... I'm gonna see if we can arrange something where if there isn't enough time that people can get a raincheck for the same price.

Derek

GokuSSJ4
07-08-2004, 05:07 PM
or if it can be done the following day (Sunday the 11th) im down :cool:

Tarmac02
07-08-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm really trying to work on the raincheck cause apparently 65 cars are trying for dyno time..

also adam thought poeple were gonna call him... apparently his number is somewhere in the mother thread over at AWJ... I have told him that ralliartpnoi and moogle need to be on that list as well....

he mentioned doing another dyno day so if the raincheck thing doesn't happen it'll be within a month for another day

come out anyway... gonna be good times and some givaways

Ralliartpnoi
07-09-2004, 12:01 AM
my friend wants in the dyno also, he has a sube
is he on the list?

Tarmac02
07-09-2004, 12:33 AM
dude,... I don't even know anymore... Adam has been busy as fuck so the list hasn't been updated in a while...

d00d just come by... if worst comes to worst and I have to bump myself off from my spot on the dyno so another evo can go I will....

Ralliartpnoi
07-09-2004, 01:00 AM
LOL thats koo, i live like 5-10 minutes away from harman motive, it starts at 9am right? probably ill be the first one in if i go early

STiTHIS
07-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Welll, i will just fill the tank with the good old 116leadfull and cruise up nice and early!:D

leaveit2bevo
07-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Bevo you goin so I can compile this list???
I was planning on it but there seems to be a grip of people and I may not get to run.

Tarmac02
07-09-2004, 09:50 PM
OK guys it's tomorrow... I've been busy today.

Had lunch with adam today and talked about the dyno day. Bottom line.... it's gonna be fucking big. Probably bigger than Adam thinks right now... certainly bigger than I ever thought. Talk of RB Motoring also bringing a tuned AWD porsche ... even a few 10 sec. running GMC typhoons coming along also. We probably should have hired a DJ.. I wonder if one is coming. If not I'll just starts freestyling like the skillz of a white boy from Virginia can only do.... LOL...

If you guys get the chance... come out... Bevo it'd be cool to have you there.... you can skateboard through the parking lot .... LOL

like I said if worst comes to worst I'll bump myself from the list if it means another EVO getting on the rollers.

GokuSSJ4
07-09-2004, 10:10 PM
go eminem !!!! LOL
i like to see Bevo's comment since he is a wood pusher :?

Buckkaaaa!!
07-09-2004, 10:44 PM
I'll be there.... doubt i'll get any dyno time though =P

Tarmac02
07-09-2004, 11:39 PM
cool... goin to sleep now...

see you motuggahs tomorrow

leaveit2bevo
07-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Ill be there tomarrow and no it wont be with a skateboard

Tarmac02
07-10-2004, 05:54 AM
later

Tarmac02
07-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Holy shite I'm in pain... I hung out next to the dyno for most of the day. My ears are ringing, I still have a headache, sore throat from breathing in so much exhaust fumes... ouch. I'll let people who are on here disclose their own numbers. Throughout the day there were some small and big disappointments. I bumped myself from the list so we could get more guests on there.

Big power numbers were put down an AWE tuning stg 3 Audi S4 running 110 0ctane, spraying alcohol on the intercoolers, and dry ice in the coolant tank. 478hp and 550+ torque... first car on the dyno.

The r32 skyline that ran in last years USCC and would have won it if it hadn't thrown a piston and melted some bearings on the road course showed up and drew crowds of people all day. The car is back with a new engine and bad as hell... first run at 1.4 bar netted over 400... last run with minor tuning in btwn 4 runs blasted a 535 on Harman's dyno...All in all I think close to 30 cars got dynoed and around 80 showed up and passed through during the day from 9am-7pm

Those who showed up, thank you, you're awesome.

Those who didn't, hope there were lots of breasts to stare at at Hot Import Daze. Pics should be up sometime later on AWJunkies.

fastgascar
07-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Those who didn't, hope there were lots of breasts to stare at at Hot Import Daze. Pics should be up sometime later on AWJunkies.

There were plenty.

Ralliartpnoi
07-11-2004, 01:18 PM
hahah my team was at HID, i wish i couldve gone there the same day. my RS dyno'ed at 244whp and 251tq. i would post my dyno sheet, but while i was on the freeway i raced with like this group of M3's. i think we were going like 120-140 on the damn freeway through light traffic. haha before i knew it my dyno sheet flew out my window!!! well i got in front of all the M3's and then put my emergency light on then exited the freeway lol :lol:

harman motive saved all the data from the runs right? i wonder if i can go back and get another printout of my dyno...

Ricardon
07-11-2004, 03:46 PM
...while i was on the freeway i raced with like this group of M3's. i think we were going like 120-140 on the damn freeway through light traffic. haha before i knew it my dyno sheet flew out my window!!! well i got in front of all the M3's and then put my emergency light on then exited the freeway

I seriously hope that everything in that story was an insanely sarcastic joke!

IS2000
07-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Post your results and what mods you have. I'd like to see how the EVOs on this board are doing.

Tarmac02
07-11-2004, 04:40 PM
the 244hp and 251 torque is true...

I hope to god all the other shit (the racing through traffic) was a joke

nurb2
07-11-2004, 04:50 PM
hahah my team was at HID, i wish i couldve gone there the same day. my RS dyno'ed at 244whp and 251tq. i would post my dyno sheet, but while i was on the freeway i raced with like this group of M3's. i think we were going like 120-140 on the damn freeway through light traffic. haha before i knew it my dyno sheet flew out my window!!! well i got in front of all the M3's and then put my emergency light on then exited the freeway lol :lol:

harman motive saved all the data from the runs right? i wonder if i can go back and get another printout of my dyno...

What mods do you have? That's pretty high if you are stock.

Racing through traffic is lame though.

-nurb2-

nurb2
07-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Post your results and what mods you have. I'd to see how the EVOs on this board are doing.

I dyno'd 234.18 whp and 244.16 torque on 91 octane on that same dyno a couple of months ago. Stock.

-nurb2-

Tarmac02
07-11-2004, 05:04 PM
3 evos touched the dyno yesterday... I bumped myself from the list to move other cars, like the 535hp skyline, onto the list...

Ralliartpnoi
07-11-2004, 08:40 PM
nah im not kidding, there was this convoy of m3's on the freeway when i got on. i pulled up to the leader and all of a sudden he boned out and then all the others boned out too. me and my friends scooby chased after them. we were going really fast. its not like 120-140 for like a minute. its like reaching peaks of 120-140 at times. i dunno the specs of m3's but i did catch up to the leader. its an adrenaline rush cutting off cars but its hella scary when theres a car in your lane and your going way too fast to slow down in front of it.

right now my mods are, k&n drop-in. and the boost control solenoid restrictor pill trick. and then octane boost lol.

GokuSSJ4
07-11-2004, 11:10 PM
can you guys post your dyno charts ?

Ralliartpnoi
07-12-2004, 12:16 AM
i would but mines flew out my window. you think i can go back to harman motive and get another printout? i live near them, like 5 minutes away, so it aint that big of a deal to drive there.

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 02:41 AM
please don't inundate this thread with bullshit street racing antics.

Goku, I can't remember the SN of the blue evo running 293 on pump gas but I know he had HKS catback, downpipe, RRE high flow cat, vishnu cam gears, HKS 272/264 cams and he was running the vishnu Xede he had tuned at vishnu...

that wasn't bad

I'll let Kaishno99 post his numbers if he wants to

moogle
07-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Sorry Tarmac. I had to cancel HID, some meet, and AWJ dyno day. I wanted to be there, but things just happen.

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 04:16 AM
s'all good... pics will be up soon

Smogrunner
07-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Goku, I can't remember the SN of the blue evo running 293 on pump gas but I know he had HKS catback, downpipe, RRE high flow cat, vishnu cam gears, HKS 272/264 cams and he was running the vishnu Xede he had tuned at vishnu...

that wasn't bad

This is ironic. That car is owned by Alex_Alex. He had to leave early so he didn't get an idea how his car compared to others. He chimed in on the Vishnu forum on Evom feeling like his car dynoed poorly. http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?p=1063090#post1063090
He has about the same setup as me.

nurb2
07-12-2004, 08:36 AM
nah im not kidding, there was this convoy of m3's on the freeway when i got on. i pulled up to the leader and all of a sudden he boned out and then all the others boned out too. me and my friends scooby chased after them. we were going really fast. its not like 120-140 for like a minute. its like reaching peaks of 120-140 at times. i dunno the specs of m3's but i did catch up to the leader. its an adrenaline rush cutting off cars but its hella scary when theres a car in your lane and your going way too fast to slow down in front of it.

right now my mods are, k&n drop-in. and the boost control solenoid restrictor pill trick. and then octane boost lol.

Man I hope I don't run into you on the freeway. I'll try and stay in my lane, you try to not hit me. It's insane racing on the freeways out here.

Well, that explains your numbers I guess. K&N gives 7 to the wheels according to some tuners on evom, pill removed (don't know how much that gives) and octane booster. What kind of booster did you use? One of those bottled kind that raise your octane .1 per can or something like toluene? I've read up to an 18 hp difference from 91 to 93 octane.

Good numbers ... just try not to kill anyone on the freeway.

-nurb2-

GokuSSJ4
07-12-2004, 08:48 AM

that wasn't bad

This is ironic. That car is owned by Alex_Alex. He had to leave early so he didn't get an idea how his car compared to others. He chimed in on the Vishnu forum on Evom feeling like his car dynoed poorly. http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?p=1063090#post1063090

smogrunner arent you guys boosting at 21psi on pump gas ?
thats not bad , but then again he is running a straight pipe so more should of been seen.
im sure he should of been near as 320whp with the amount of boost he had and no cat. Still good #'s
91 octane just sucks over all .
we are so limited to what the car's true potential :pissed:

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 10:32 AM
I didn't ask him what he was boosting on 91 octane. It might be different than the Out of the Box Vishnu Xede because of the variants in parts and custom tune.

I think he said his cam gears were retarded 2 degrees too... Which I thought was only 1 degree on the normal setup. He had dyno charts from several places . He was also told that his car was running a little lean ( not terrible ).

GokuSSJ4
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
how did kaisho do ??
can anyone post his #'s ?
Chris can you post your dyno chart ?

leaveit2bevo
07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
on 100 I guess the vishnu guys are near 350, thats what the vishnu car made in the evo challange which I couldnt believe but numbers dont lie.

alex_alex
07-12-2004, 02:06 PM

1) this kid is like 16 or 17, and is the reason insurance on the EVO will slowly increase through the years. You don't do 120-130 in f+ucking traffic, its irresponsible man. Most people on this board would probably agree than if YOU mess up and crash, you probably deserved it. But when you do it with other cars on the road, you ENDANGER other people, that aren't being stupid or irresponsible at all, but just following the normal everyday traffic.

2) keep in mind, re: the dyno run, that he took his restrictor pill out (and thus was probably running around 21-22 psi), and ran octane booster. Id wager that he'd be dynoing around the same as the other evos if he was truly stock.

alex_alex
07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
I didn't ask him what he was boosting on 91 octane. It might be different than the Out of the Box Vishnu Xede because of the variants in parts and custom tune.

I think he said his cam gears were retarded 2 degrees too... Which I thought was only 1 degree on the normal setup. He had dyno charts from several places . He was also told that his car was running a little lean ( not terrible ).

I was boosting around 20 psi.

And i was indeed told that my car was running a bit lean, but i think HArman's wideband was probably messed up because it showed my first run with a 14:1 a/f ratio, which is impossible. On 91 octane, at 20-21 psi, the car exhibited no knock whatsoever, and theres no way this couldve happened while running so lean, i think.

alex_alex
07-12-2004, 02:11 PM

that wasn't bad

smogrunner arent you guys boosting at 21psi on pump gas ?
thats not bad , but then again he is running a straight pipe so more should of been seen.
im sure he should of been near as 320whp with the amount of boost he had and no cat. Still good #'s
91 octane just sucks over all .
we are so limited to what the car's true potential :pissed:

Goku, im actually not running the RRE hi-flo cat "straight pipe." I got mine back in the day, and its a legit carsound cat that has all the plastic sh_t in the pipe.

I will, however, probably get that RRE "straght pipe" sometime soon.

kaisho99
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
how did kaisho do ??
can anyone post his #'s ?
Chris can you post your dyno chart ?

My car blew chunks. I'm currently re-evaluating my options.

I'm not gonna post all the details for fear that it will spawn some moronic tuner flame war again but suffice to say it was beyond dissapointing to me. :cry:

Ricardon
07-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, at least your torque curve was nice Kaisho...have some comfort in that, and I'm being serious! All you fags out there that think that peak HP numbers are the end all be all, and whack off to dyno sheets...Kaisho will have fun passing you on the track. Yeah Chris, your particular tuner is known for having a little bit lower hp numbers but very decent torque numbers. You know I don't like the guy, but torque is where it's at haters!!

PS...the street racing storie(s)...you need to be embarassed. I'd be looking for a place to hide. You were street racing-1, you were "cutting off cars"-2, going between 120-140 (which was it there's an immesurable amount of difference between 120 and 140, he was probably going 95 haha)-3 If you're stupid enough to do it, that's one thing...being stupid enough to post about it is another thing. Save us the headache of reading the crap, and save yourself from some evidence against you and your bad history of street racing when you finally do hit someone and the prosecutor pulls this stuff in as evidence!
:yikes:

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 06:00 PM
2) keep in mind, re: the dyno run, that he took his restrictor pill out (and thus was probably running around 21-22 psi), and ran octane booster. Id wager that he'd be dynoing around the same as the other evos if he was truly stock.

that is true... but like I said another stock evo with just a ralliart drop in filter put down 247hp and 261tq

SCC's RS tested at 244/260 respectively...

proper break in does wonders... so does an ECU reset to erase all the learned material you can get from one crappy tank of gas. I know you were a bit dissappointed with your numbers when compared to the Vishnu dynochart you have but someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe than Shiv resets the stock ECU before he dynos. Both the WRX and EVO have very adaptable ECUs and even though the EVO runs rich having a few tanks of crappy gas can make your ECU run weak because of retarding boost and timing.

Dan Gardner who was at the dyno day and witnessed some of the dissappointments by wrexes and EVOs returned to Harman today to dyno his stock '04 wrx. I don't have the exact numbers but the first few runs he ran the learned material over the past 6 months. ... reset the ECU then ran 13whp more... that's a lot when you're considering drivetrain loss of 15-20%. He's gonna return in a few weeks and we'll be running some intercooler cooling tests on his wrx with a turboback exhaust when it comes in.

ErroR
07-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Actually the evo with the Ralliart put out max hp 245 and tq 252.

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 08:48 PM
OK off by a few... still high

Dynoflash
07-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Can someone who was there tell me the dyno procedure they used on these cars ? How much time did they wait between pulls and did they make sure that the cars were properly warmed up before starting testing?

How was it possible for them to dyno 30 cars in one day ?

I ask this becuase the numbers seem a bit inconsistant. I would expect a Vishnu car with stage one plus to make much more than 272 ft lbs and 290 whp on a awd dyno jet dyno. Thats stage has cams and cam gears - no ? Should be over 320 with ease. Also - my cutsomer only make 26o ft lbs and 250 whp with a 3" exhuast and intake with flash - also a very low number.

Additionally - it seems the a/f ratios they were printing are impossibe to run.

Meanwhile some stock cas are laying down vey high dyno numbers on the same dyno on 91 octane reporting 240 whp - which is about the aveage we see here on the east coast on 93 octane.

I am very curious to find the reason(s) for these most unusual results. Some feed back on the length of time between pulls and type of collig fan used would be most helpful.

Ricardon
07-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Just about to ask similar questions Al! I was wondering how the Dynoflash'd car and the Vishnude car were "underperforming". Doesn't make sense because I know that both provide a fairly significant gain over stock. Weird results for sure.

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
email harman and ask the specs of their dyno... they're a vendor on this sight... I know it was dynojet

your customer hit the dyno just a couple cars after the dyno had an hour and a half break and all cars warmed up for 5-10 mins ... the car running the high numbers went on directly after your customer,.... so talk to him...

26 cars dynos from 8:30am - 7:45pm

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
The vishnu tuned EVO went before these next 4 cars

cobb stg2 wrx 220whp

cobb stg2 wrx 215whp (different catback)

STi w/K&N intake 235whp

STi w/JIC tit. exh 235whp

I'd be pretty proud if I was him

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
If you want to try to argue differences btwn morning and afternoon runs the Dynoflashed car went after yet another cobb stg2 wrx that put down 214whp, then the dynoflashed car, then the RS with boost regulator modded and K&N filter

sounds pretty consistent if you ask me

Dynoflash
07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Just about to ask similar questions Al! I was wondering how the Dynoflash'd car and the Vishnude car were "underperforming". Doesn't make sense because I know that both provide a fairly significant gain over stock. Weird results for sure.I was just reading on the Vishnu forum that the "stock" car which made 240 whp was running 100 ocatane racing fuel, had its wastegate hose altered to run more boost and had a drop in filer - all of which add significant gains

In any event, the numbers on my customer's are seriously low and I am waitng to hear back from him on some of the details to try and peice together what is going on. The a/f plot is so dangerously lean that I can only assume that the a/f was either not accurate o my customer's stock fuel pump had failed.

Finally - there is NO way to properly dyno test 26 cars in one day

In order to have the results mean anything in real world numbers the collant temps have to be at or near the values you see at highway operation with 80 plus mph of air flow. Obviosuly in high heat conditions a small fan is not going to provide sufficient air flow to replicate real world conditions on the dyno and significant cool down periods will have to be used to keep the car in proper operating conditions. IF the collant temps are overly hot the ecu will alter the tune to save the car and your whp goes down signifiantly.

Dynoflash
07-12-2004, 09:25 PM

cobb stg2 wrx 220whp

STi w/K&N intake 235whp

I'd be pretty proud if I was himso you are saying that stock STI's with intakes make LESS whp than stock evos on this dyno ? Does that sound normal ?

Ricardon
07-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Your'e right about one thing...the numbers seemed a bit goofy. And by no means do I want another tuner flame fest going on, just wanted to point out that the numbers seemed strange. Hell, I want ALL EVOs regardless of their tuner to kick ass, ESPECIALLY the particular customer you had there AL! The guy is stupid cool!!

I didn't find the EVO vs. STI numbers odd though. I've seen plenty of instances where even stock EVOs were pulling better numbers than stock STI's. One of these days we'll get the right settings perfect on the perfect dyno and get a REAL number on the stock cars hahaha...lemme know when you see pig feathers and I'll show up with my camera!

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
running the typical average correction from Harman's dyno the Vishnu car's estimated crank horsepower is 355 on 91 octane...

Alex also noted that his car is tuned to 20psi because of his d-pipe and cat back as opposed to the normal Vishnu system they are tuned for...

Vishnu estimates it's stg1 at 340-360 crank horsepower... I'd say his setting with the cams sounds pretty much right.

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:39 PM

cobb stg2 wrx 220whp

STi w/K&N intake 235whp

I'd be pretty proud if I was himso you are saying that stock STI's with intakes make LESS whp than stock evos on this dyno ? Does that sound normal ?

Harman guys said the K&N typhoon intake that the one STi was using ... they had also tested to lose 10-15hp

The second STi was also running a full atmospheric BOV known to freak out subie ECUs into retarding boost and timing

Dynoflash
07-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Your'e right about one thing...the numbers seemed a bit goofy. And by no means do I want another tuner flame fest going on, just wanted to point out that the numbers seemed strange. Hell, I want ALL EVOs regardless of their tuner to kick ass, ESPECIALLY the particular customer you had there AL! The guy is stupid cool!!

I didn't find the EVO vs. STI numbers odd though. I've seen plenty of instances where even stock EVOs were pulling better numbers than stock STI's. One of these days we'll get the right settings perfect on the perfect dyno and get a REAL number on the stock cars hahaha...lemme know when you see pig feathers and I'll show up with my camera!I agree with you 100%. The custmer in question is a very good person.

I have custom tuned over 280 evos now and we have another 400 through the mail customers out there with the base flash. While ultimate whp numbers are NEVER our primary objective when tuning - especially on 91 octane cali piss gas - we DO realize decent power gains with our product.

We have seen the ocassional car which was making low power. In every instance - after investigation - we discover some other cause is at fault. e.g, bad fuel, fuel pump failure, low boost, boost leak, improper dyno procedures, etc etc

In this case . . . I want to try and get to the bottom of this particular result to figre out exactly why the car is making low power

I have his tune open in front of my eyes - if everything else is correct with the car and the dyno the car should be making at least 270 - 280 whp and 280 - 290 ft lbs on 91 octane with his mods

Similarly - the Vishnu customer's car, with cams, should be way up over 300 whp - closer to 310 on 91 octane and with a LOT more trq

Something is not adding up and I am very curious to get to the bottom of it and try and get my customer making up the lost power he is missing

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Ohh... and pick up the most recent MotorTrend magazine you can find and check out the back where they have the times of all the cars they've tested and an '04 EVO performed 0-60 in 4.8 and the quarter in 13.1

While the STi they tested did 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter slower... yes they were probably on different days and in different conditions but you've never heard of some ringers coming off the factory line?

Dynoflash
07-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Ohh... and pick up the most recent MotorTrend magazine you can find and check out the back where they have the times of all the cars they've tested and an '04 EVO performed 0-60 in 4.8 and the quarter in 13.1

While the STi they tested did 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter slower... yes they were probably on different days and in different conditions but you've never heard of some ringers coming off the factory line?Th only real issue I have is it seems that the Vishnu tuned evo and the ev I tuned had really low whp numbers while the stock evos had unusually high whp numbers. In most cases we see the dyno jets are a very consistant and reliable tool. I am very curious to understand why my customer and the vishnu customer's power was so low on this particular dyno ?

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Harman says STis usually turn 245-250 on their dyno...

I didn't want a "tuner bias lemmings" flame-fest in this thread like what seems to happen on this sight whenever you or Shiv are mentioned and if the numbers I've given you aren't satisfactory then contact Harman Motive for more details on their dyno area and setup... or maybe you should visit it while you're in the area at the end of this month...

Tarmac02
07-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Al check your PMs bro..

alex_alex
07-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Al, you know, the strangest thing was that i dynoed 270 hp on Shiv's DD dyno, and STILL put out only a 292 hp on the dynojet.

And i think you're definately right about the a/f ratio being off, see my earlier posts for the reason

GokuSSJ4
07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
didnt smog runner dyno on shiv's DD same as you near 272whp ?(which on a dyno jet is near 320whp)

alex_alex
07-13-2004, 12:04 AM
didnt smog runner dyno on shiv's DD same as you near 272whp ?(which on a dyno jet is near 320whp)

Yeah, more or less i think. He may have had a bit quicker spoolup since he's running a test pipe and im not. But yeah, you would think it would run about 320 on the dynojet.

I plan on taking it back to Harman again, in cooler conditions, which a brand new stock air filter, and a test pipe. then i'll see what i put down.

Dynoflash
07-13-2004, 08:33 AM

Yeah, more or less i think. He may have had a bit quicker spoolup since he's running a test pipe and im not. But yeah, you would think it would run about 320 on the dynojet.

I plan on taking it back to Harman again, in cooler conditions, which a brand new stock air filter, and a test pipe. then i'll see what i put down.Did that shop also try and sell you a UTEC when you were there ?

I would sugest you try the Dyno Jet in Chatsworth instead and see how the results vary - it at all

I know yourcar is making mre than 290 whp with those cams in there

Something is not proper here

How big was their fan and how much time did they give between pulls?

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Al did you get my PM?

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 09:43 AM
OK did a little math

Harman says a typical wrx that comes into their for a dyno puts down 175 (WRXLR8 put 184 after screwing around with his ECU yesterday but the typical is 175)

On shivs dyno the typical WRX puts down around 162

162 x 1.08 = 174.96 or essentially 175

1.08 being the difference btwn Shivs and Harman's dyno

Alex's car put down 270 on Shivs dyno

270 x 1.08 = 291.6 almost exactly what Alex put down at Harman Motive....

It's retarded to say what it's supposed to put down on a dynojet instead of comparing correction ratios from dyno to dyno... I think I've done enough to justify something I didn't need to and if you have more questions, call the Harman guys like I said.

SCC has a good article on the differences btwn dynos in their most recent issue. Check it out... it's a good read. Even had a few dynos by the same manufacturer that showed inconsistency.

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 09:46 AM
I really can't find an environmental reason for your customer's car's numbers.

GokuSSJ4
07-13-2004, 09:55 AM
the best way to compare to see what gains you have , is to always do it on the same dyno . Insteaf of going from different dyno's , since some read different results then others.

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
that's the point I was trying to make.,.. I just brought up too many damn numbers

GokuSSJ4
07-13-2004, 11:51 AM
LOL i dont see the point of peeps that have dyno at a different dyno , for them to continue to see what hp they make with a different type of dyno.
but for the ones that havent or have change parts and want to see where there at, then is different.

alex_alex
07-13-2004, 12:11 PM

I plan on taking it back to Harman again, in cooler conditions, which a brand new stock air filter, and a test pipe. then i'll see what i put down.Did that shop also try and sell you a UTEC when you were there ?

I would sugest you try the Dyno Jet in Chatsworth instead and see how the results vary - it at all

I know yourcar is making mre than 290 whp with those cams in there

Something is not proper here

How big was their fan and how much time did they give between pulls?

HAHAHA how did you know, Al?

They did indeed try to sell me a UTEC, and tried rub it in that a UTEC tuned car with no cams made the same hp as me.

OF course, he failed to acknowledge that THAT utec-tuned car was tuned in different conditions, had intercooler piping and an RS intake, and MOST importtantly, was running catless.

alex_alex
07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
OK did a little math

Harman says a typical wrx that comes into their for a dyno puts down 175 (WRXLR8 put 184 after screwing around with his ECU yesterday but the typical is 175)

On shivs dyno the typical WRX puts down around 162

162 x 1.08 = 174.96 or essentially 175

1.08 being the difference btwn Shivs and Harman's dyno

Alex's car put down 270 on Shivs dyno

270 x 1.08 = 291.6 almost exactly what Alex put down at Harman Motive....

It's retarded to say what it's supposed to put down on a dynojet instead of comparing correction ratios from dyno to dyno... I think I've done enough to justify something I didn't need to and if you have more questions, call the Harman guys like I said.

SCC has a good article on the differences btwn dynos in their most recent issue. Check it out... it's a good read. Even had a few dynos by the same manufacturer that showed inconsistency.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. What DOESNT make sense, however, is what stock evos are putting down, as Harman claims.

On Vishnu's dyno, stock evos put down anywhere from 185-195 hp. for whatever reason, they were putting down 240 on HArmans.

Ralliartpnoi
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
1) this kid is like 16 or 17, and is the reason insurance on the EVO will slowly increase through the years. You don't do 120-130 in f+ucking traffic, its irresponsible man. Most people on this board would probably agree than if YOU mess up and crash, you probably deserved it. But when you do it with other cars on the road, you ENDANGER other people, that aren't being stupid or irresponsible at all, but just following the normal everyday traffic.

this kid is 18 alex_alex, and yeah i was being irresponsible that night. im usually a safe driver but i guess the speed bug bit me at the time
i just read the general guidelines now on the forum about posting illegal activities, sorry it wont happen again :oops:

btw, is it possible to get another copy of our dynosheets from harman motive?

alex_alex
07-13-2004, 12:29 PM

this kid is 18 alex_alex, and yeah i was being irresponsible that night. im usually a safe driver but i guess the speed bug bit me at the time
i just read the general guidelines now on the forum about posting illegal activities, sorry it wont happen again :oops:

btw, is it possible to get another copy of our dynosheets from harman motive?

16, 17, 18, whatever. You're young. :)

Dude, i think we all get the racing bug every now and then, esp. with this car . . . just be careful when other people are around.

Anyhow, Harman logs all of their runs in the computer. The problem is, you need to know which runs were yours, which may be a problem since they only used numbers to identify everyone.

kaisho99
07-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Ralliartpnoi, you should have been:

runfile_042.drf
runrile_043.drf
runfile_044.drf

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Well ralliartpnoi was a "stock" car but certainly wasn't running any kind of stock settings....

I really can't find a reasonable explanation for the other car. ...

Alex I'd be interested in stopping by when you do your next run group at harman... I'm heading up there sometime soon again also. As for the UTEC tuned car and Darwin trying to sell you a UTEC .. whatever... I had no idea that kind of shit was going on. If Harman was going to try to peddle their wares at our dyno day maybe they should have set up a damn booth or at least provided to food they said they were going to ... All in all the day was fun and hopefully when you run the full exhaust you're getting and you're runnnig the full setup the numbers will be more in your favor.

Ralliartpnoi
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Ralliartpnoi, you should have been:

runfile_042.drf
runrile_043.drf
runfile_044.drf

to the best of my knowledge, i think those were the right numbers. thx kaisho99! :D ill probably stop by harman motive sometime this week and ask if i can get another printout

alex_alex
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Well ralliartpnoi was a "stock" car but certainly wasn't running any kind of stock settings....

Alex I'd be interested in stopping by when you do your next run group at harman... I'm heading up there sometime soon again also. As for the UTEC tuned car and Darwin trying to sell you a UTEC .. whatever... I had no idea that kind of shit was going on. If Harman was going to try to peddle their wares at our dyno day maybe they should have set up a damn booth or at least provided to food they said they were going to ... All in all the day was fun and hopefully when you run the full exhaust you're getting and you're runnnig the full setup the numbers will be more in your favor.

Yeah, if you go before i do, let me know, im always down to go.

Anyhow, it wasn't Darwin that was trying to sell it to me. He was actually pretty cool. It was the dude that tuned it, one of the Harman guys (not the one that you know, with the shaggy hair, but the other one, the little one). He was trying to sell me everything, from a drop in K&N to a UTEC to whatever the f-ck else.

Ricardon
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
How fast/easy is it to change settings on a dyno? Can it be done in a matter of seconds? Asking because it almost seems as if the Vishnu/Dynoflash tuned cars got worked on the dyno, then were pitched product? Not saying that took place, but it's still fishy. Hey, I've seen shadier ways to get a sale!

kaisho99
07-13-2004, 03:44 PM

Yeah, if you go before i do, let me know, im always down to go.

Anyhow, it wasn't Darwin that was trying to sell it to me. He was actually pretty cool. It was the dude that tuned it, one of the Harman guys (not the one that you know, with the shaggy hair, but the other one, the little one). He was trying to sell me everything, from a drop in K&N to a UTEC to whatever the f-ck else.

That's Daniel Harmon, the owner. Can't fault him for tryin to make some business really. He seemed cool enough to me, no pressure just putting out their options was my experience.

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
How fast/easy is it to change settings on a dyno? Can it be done in a matter of seconds? Asking because it almost seems as if the Vishnu/Dynoflash tuned cars got worked on the dyno, then were pitched product? Not saying that took place, but it's still fishy. Hey, I've seen shadier ways to get a sale!

From AWJunkies.com

When dynoed at Vishnu, I got:

253hp 91 oct map
263hp 95 oct map
273hp 100 oct map tuned with toluene mix

JohnWs wagon put down put down 293 at Harmon on Saturday, running his 100 octane map with the same tuolene mix. I this can end that arguement... extremely similar to the comparative number by Alex. Don't worry man... your car's making the power. This dyno is probably just programmed a little more conservative than most dynojets you guys might be used to.

On a related note. If you see this wagon. Don't fuck with it.
http://www.awjunkies.com/dm4.JPG

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d933b3127cceb2410afc29f00000001610

pretty stealthy huh?

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Cool I was hoping it wasn't Darwin... he seemed like a cool guy. Cocky, ... but cool.

kaisho99
07-13-2004, 04:45 PM
damn sleepers!! :lol:

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 04:46 PM
yeah no joke.. John has the fastest wagon in SD

the giveaway is the big stoptech brakes

GokuSSJ4
07-13-2004, 05:05 PM
after all of this and Chris you havent posted your #'s or dyno sheet :?

WOT
07-13-2004, 05:25 PM
I am truely impressed by all the dyno charts!

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 05:34 PM
sarcasm???

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Kaisho... what gauges did you have? Weren't they the Defi ?
and didn't they glow red?

STFU Tuning
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, it's Darwin. I just read this whole thread. When did I get cocky? lol. I crack too many fat jokes about myself to be cocky. haha

Anyways, Shiv and Al can tune cars. I think thats been proven time and time again. I could really care less for any type of tuner war. I have the UTEC on my car just because we wanted to do some testing with it. We did make 296whp on a somewhat conservative tune. There is no doubt that the UTEC is a great tuning tool, but it is not the end all.

I myself am self am switching to a full stand alone soon because I want to lose the MAF for all thats comming for the car. As far as messing with the dyno, which I don't even think we can do, that is completely rediculous. I have no idea why those cars didn't make what they expected, but plenty of cars were spot on what they expected.

We really enjoyed having everyone come out. It was a fun day and a good showing. Perhaps next time we will organize some food. Sorry we didn't do $50 dynos and buy everyone lunch too, sheez.

Whats funny is that we had some Audi guys turn big numbers and now their Audi World rivals claim our dyno reads high. The point is that this dyno has been consistant with many cars, day in and day out. The only thing that is constantly a pain is the Wide Band. We replace that all the time. There are many factors that cause numbers to go high or low, but conspiracy to sell a UTEC isn't one of them.

I'm off to go stamp out some crop circles. Talk to you guys soon.

-Darwin

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 07:37 PM
thanks for chiming in Darwin...

Ricardon
07-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, it's Darwin. I just read this whole thread. When did I get cocky? lol. I crack too many fat jokes about myself to be cocky. haha

Anyways, Shiv and Al can tune cars. I think thats been proven time and time again. I could really care less for any type of tuner war. I have the UTEC on my car just because we wanted to do some testing with it. We did make 296whp on a somewhat conservative tune. There is no doubt that the UTEC is a great tuning tool, but it is not the end all.

I myself am self am switching to a full stand alone soon because I want to lose the MAF for all thats comming for the car. As far as messing with the dyno, which I don't even think we can do, that is completely rediculous. I have no idea why those cars didn't make what they expected, but plenty of cars were spot on what they expected.

We really enjoyed having everyone come out. It was a fun day and a good showing. Perhaps next time we will organize some food. Sorry we didn't do $50 dynos and buy everyone lunch too, sheez.

Whats funny is that we had some Audi guys turn big numbers and now their Audi World rivals claim our dyno reads high. The point is that this dyno has been consistant with many cars, day in and day out. The only thing that is constantly a pain is the Wide Band. We replace that all the time. There are many factors that cause numbers to go high or low, but conspiracy to sell a UTEC isn't one of them.

-Darwin

Thanks for posting! Nah, no accusations headed your way...was just thinking out loud as I am the resident conspiracy theorist.

alex_alex
07-13-2004, 08:45 PM

-Darwin

By the way, i think its f-cking cool that you drive an EVO and your name is Darwin.

Maybe I'll change my name to, i dunno, Charles or something

Ricardon
07-13-2004, 08:48 PM
classic

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah when I first met him I was holding back all kinds off jackassed jokes and comments that I'm sure he's already heard. ...

Tarmac02
07-13-2004, 08:59 PM
here's pics from the event...

http://www.awjunkies.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2236

btw tarmac, did you see the pics posted up on awjunkies? i like the one of you humping the skyline. You better hope you don't ever become a politician, because I'll make that sh_t come up again, i can promise you that. :)

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v256/dscamp/Dyno%20Day%207-10-04/DSC03498.jpg

O-face

Dynoflash
07-13-2004, 10:31 PM
It seems that my customer who had the custom tune from me experienced a total fuel pump failure in the weeks after I tuned his car

Then the stock fuel pump was replaced

It seems possible that his stock pump was weak when we originally tuned his car and that the replacement of the then faled pump restored a increased flow of fuel and made the mixture overly rich - lowering the power

It is very regretable that the dyno shop's wdeband apparently was not reading properly as a accurate a/f ratio read out would be helpful

I itend to get to the bottom of this when I come out to LA

In the meantime - this re-confirms the extereme importantce of upgrading your fuel pump to the walbro fuel pump #342 BEFORE you get a full custom tune

The stock pumps are too unreliable in LA style heat and under the heavy demands of 91 octane tuning

At $100 the Walbro is the cheapest insurance you can get for your $30,000 evo

STFU Tuning
07-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Al, I don't know you but that sounds reasonable. I have heard all sorts of good things about your tuning. Especially with a custom tune, I'm sure the issue with your customer's car was not a tuning issue.

As far as the Wide band, that thing just needs to get replaced all the time.

As far as my name, let it rip guys. I hear it all the time and it doesn't bother me at all. I like the original ones, but they are few and far between. Funny thing is that this is the first time anyone put together my name and the fact I drive an EVO. Good one.

-Darwin

Tarmac02
07-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Are you kidding me? That was the first thing I thought. Jeezus.

Al... good to hear you found a possible reason for the numbers put down by your customer's car. I didn't know anything else to do other than bring up numbers to tell you why it wasn't the dyno until Darwin chimed in.

kaisho99
07-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Kaisho... what gauges did you have? Weren't they the Defi ?
and didn't they glow red?

They are Defi-BF's and they glow white. Red would be cooler, but no dice.

Tarmac02
07-14-2004, 09:08 AM
up in the air btwn those.. the apex-i or the blitz

STFU Tuning
07-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Defi BF series rule! I have them in my EVO and my STi. They are my favorite gauges on the market.

After the Defi, I really like the Apex-i. HKS look good too.

Tarmac02, when you decide on gauges, let me know. I will try to get you the best deal possible on whatever you choose.

-Darwin

Tarmac02
07-15-2004, 05:15 AM
Cool man thanks. Definately getting gauges to monitor shizzit before I start adding power. I honestly haven't even checked out the HKS gauges.