PDA

View Full Version : Tein or JIC

KRS333
07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
As far as coilovers go what would you suggest... Tein or JIC. Would they both work the same & offer the same handling? Thanks

Absinthe
07-08-2004, 04:25 PM
dont forget Zeal and Cusco

Takashi
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
well, i know that the custom jic's from rre (mueller setup) is supposed to be ridiculous.

hksevo8
07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
HKS Hipermax RS all the way. No need to have them retuned by RRE like JIC's. Truly an impressive set up. 36 way adjustability, what more can you ask for?

GokuSSJ4
07-08-2004, 05:11 PM
check RRE first www.roadraceengineering.com , talk to john mueller 562-777-1522
the fastest cars at the EOC event all had RRE magic by John
he can tune any suspension and im sure he can tell you which to pick if you dont want JIC's set up by RRE.

Takashi
07-08-2004, 06:21 PM
HKS Hipermax RS all the way. No need to have them retuned by RRE like JIC's. Truly an impressive set up. 36 way adjustability, what more can you ask for?

you seem to like hks... do you have the hipermax rs or taken a ride in an evo with those coilovers?

500whp
07-08-2004, 10:08 PM
HKS is very expensive! I think the best way to go if you dont go to the track a lot, its Tein Basic, SS/Flex w/ EDFC

Knower
07-08-2004, 11:47 PM
check RRE first www.roadraceengineering.com , talk to john mueller 562-777-1522
the fastest cars at the EOC event all had RRE magic by John
he can tune any suspension and im sure he can tell you which to pick if you dont want JIC's set up by RRE.

"One little known fact about RRE is we carry 4 different types of coilover suspension for the EVO, all are in stock right now. I can, have and will set up _any_ type of suspension that can be towed or driven to our shop in Santa Fe Springs. Custom tuning is available for street, rally, drag, drifting, autocross, canyons, commuting, and road racing, whatever you want your car to do best. Right now I have DMS, Zeal, Buddyclub and JIC suspensions in stock for the EVO and ready to install, with a variety of dampers and springs rated from 5K to 24K."

[email protected]

This is the man you want to talk to about Evo suspensions and more importantly, who to set it up for your needs.

tama_mog
07-08-2004, 11:53 PM
knower has spoken =O Out of those choices I'd say JIC simply from RRE's reputation with John Muheller.

IS2000
07-09-2004, 12:17 AM
If you are on budget and daily drive your car, Tein is the way to go. Also, the coilovers can be tuned by Tein themselves for about $75 a corner.
But, if you are willing to spend more, I'd go with RRE JIC.

leaveit2bevo
07-09-2004, 12:42 AM

thats a joke untuned coilovers are like riding on pogosticks.

robi
07-09-2004, 12:59 AM
I have been testing the Buddy Clubs and I have been very impressed with the ride and Still finished 1 st at the last EOC..for A STREET TRACK COMBO I like..

hksevo8
07-09-2004, 07:24 AM

you seem to like hks... do you have the hipermax rs or taken a ride in an evo with those coilovers?

I drove an evo with the RS Setup installed. It is the only after market setup that feels like the oem, with out the harsh ride that the oem has. It might cost a little more than others out there, but you get what you pay for in the aftermarket.

KRS333
07-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback... I will call RRE & see what they suggest would be the best set up...

Howie
07-09-2004, 07:37 AM
I had a set of TEIN Basics and it felt like ass. I got a set of RRE JIC's and the evo is happy now.

Absinthe
07-09-2004, 08:28 AM
I have heard the tein basics are worse than the stock suspension performance wise.

Howie
07-09-2004, 10:08 AM
I have heard the tein basics are worse than the stock suspension performance wise.

Ya.. cause i don't think they have the inverted strut design like the stock ones and JIC's have.

Miss Evo8
07-15-2004, 02:38 PM
2 types of HKS coilovers? I was on the HKS web site and noticed there were 2 different ones. Which is a better set up for my Evo. Canyons, street race :twisted: ( I mean track race), would like to do AutoX, I want my Evo to do it all Damn It!!!!!!

hksevo8
07-15-2004, 03:19 PM
2 types of HKS coilovers? I was on the HKS web site and noticed there were 2 different ones. Which is a better set up for my Evo. Canyons, street race :twisted: ( I mean track race), would like to do AutoX, I want my Evo to do it all Damn It!!!!!!

Hypermax II is the more aggressive for street driving. Hypermax RS is the way to go. Much more of an all around better setup. The RS kit was developed specifically for US roads (since ours are potholed and crappy compared to the rest of the world) IMO go with the RS if you are choosing between the two HKS setups. :wink:

Miss Evo8
07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Cool, I have access to get 30% off of HKS products :twisted:

Miss Evo8
07-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh yeah no it's not wrong to love a car this much i have dreams about mine.

500whp
07-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I have been testing the Buddy Clubs and I have been very impressed with the ride and Still finished 1 st at the last EOC..for A STREET TRACK COMBO I like..

Buddy clubs? nice, what set up r you running? do you have their rims?

gnulooks
07-18-2004, 12:31 PM
I know John is the suspension guru, but can he do a better job of tunning JIC's over the Buddy Club set-up. I have heard nothing but the best about the JIC setup. Also, after talking to Robi, he said that he was testing out the Buddy Clubs at the last EOC event. I just like the fact that he said they would handle just as good as the JIC, but were a lot more forgiving on the street.

Furthermore, the RRE website is not updated w/ prices or the fact that they carry other suspension products for our Evos. I know every one is busy over there, but it would be easier to see what new products you guys have online instead of trying to call you to figure out what's new in the Evo world.

GokuSSJ4
07-18-2004, 06:02 PM
there's a huge difference in price when it comes to buddyclub and the JIC's
JIC's tune by Mueller 2200.00
Buddyclub near 4000.00
Zeals 2700.00 tune by Mueller
John can tune any suspension ,
Miss Evo8 check out www.roadraceengineering.com or email [email protected] for questions to what would fit best for what you need.
what good is it that you save 30% off a product and you end up hurting the way the car handles or being outhandle at the track by a stock evo, not to even say what an Evo with JIC's tune by mueller will do.
Just ask Robi (who won the OTC -Open Track Challenge-)
or Kent who's car was one of the fastest at the EOC event , compare to the mods he had (power wise as well) he was the fastest out there , even doh Robi's suspension needs more tuning .

Muellerized...
07-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Buddyclub near 4000.00

Actually the Buddyclub's are cheaper than the JICs:)

robi
07-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Goku I think the ones your pricing are the P-1 racing damper (complete custom build from Buddy Club Japan) RRE is doing a set-up on the Racing Spec damper and it is very cost competitive with the JIC still working with John on the best settings.

GokuSSJ4
07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Goku I think the ones your pricing are the P-1 racing damper (complete custom build from Buddy Club Japan) RRE is doing a set-up on the Racing Spec damper and it is very cost competitive with the JIC still working with John on the best settings.

im seeing that RRE has even more things available, since i dont ask what options besides the JIC's can i get(something cheaper). Since the previous set up that you had and kent has is what i want for my ride.

Takashi
07-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Buddyclub near 4000.00

Actually the Buddyclub's are cheaper than the JICs:)

this might be a stupid question, but with the right tuning, could the buddy clubs be used as a daily driven commuter?

JWest
07-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Yes, Buddy Clubs could work fine "as a daily driven commuter."

The JICs are perfected NOW.

The Buddy Clubs may be fully developed, in the future.

JW

robi
07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
The Buddy Club setup placed well in the G-ma, drivability skidpad and roadrace tests at the SCC USCC won against Sparco for the EVO subtitle (Sparco just beat me down in the Guru, Show and drags!!!) and placed just ahead for the overall. And at the EOC I was 0.5 seconds slower than Mueller's drive at the USCC on the same track (don't get in the way of the "angry German"!). I'll back JW the JIC's have the Fastest full track setup but having driven them both on the H-way I prefer the Buddy Clubs on our streets... The common point is buy from RRE they can and will setup anything but they have the most time involved in the JIC's to date...But they're coming up to speed fast with the other three options.

GokuSSJ4
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
for a similar set up that you have Robi , how much are the Buddyclubs?

KRS333
07-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Does John if peps just call for general info. Keep in mind i am really just getting as musn info as i can till my ass sit on this car...

Takashi
07-19-2004, 07:29 PM
what the?

KRS333
07-20-2004, 07:52 AM
what the?

I see what you mean :shock: Thats the way monday's are for me...

Takashi
07-20-2004, 01:44 PM
yap, sounds like you had a case of the mondays...

Hallster
07-20-2004, 06:32 PM
I drove on a set of Teins in a Supra at Thunderhill: not enough adjustable range to get the suspension where it need to be for track use. Waayy too soft. I'd say they're okay for just street use, but bad for road course use.

I drove on a set of JICs in a 2002 Porsche Twin Turbo at Thunderhill. I loved 'em.

I haven't tried the JICs on the Evo. Though I've heard nothing but good things.

Something else I like about the JICs is the adjustable strut length... I don't know if the other vendors have this, but this is a must for road-course use.
by shortening the struts you can maintain good suspension geometry, thus preserving camber gain.

back in the day, we used to send our our shocks to Koni and Bilstein to get this done. It wasn't cheap either.

Sean