PDA

View Full Version : tires

notravels10
07-08-2004, 11:06 PM
please help me.im willing to spend 600 for new tires.please help with ideas.i live in san diego and dont really have to worry about all season tires.just want ultra perfomance tires.please give me ideas.i just dont know which ones to get.i dont wanna lose any traction on dry surface.the goodyears f-1 look nice also the yoko's avs100.also the toyos.those are 3 im looking at thanks guys.Replacing the stock ones at 11k :)
:D

gt40
07-08-2004, 11:08 PM
ra1s if you go to the track...

nurb2
07-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Save up $200 more and get another set of Advans. The Goodyears Eagle F1 GS-D3's are a good tire but I don't think they would translate well to the Evo given the soft sidewall. I had a set on my RSX ... great for rain but you don't have to worry about that in SD. Stick with the Advans unless you can find something that grips better and lasts longer.

-nurb2-

dpardo
07-08-2004, 11:19 PM
I would spend the extra money and go for the stock Advans or the Bridgestone S03s.

You might save a few hundred bucks going with those other options (not including the Toyo RA1s) but then you're going to be driving around for almost a year (or so) with the sub-standard tires!

IS2000
07-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Toyo T1-s are good tires for street.

leaveit2bevo
07-09-2004, 12:49 AM
225 azenis and use what you saved to put some track tires on that bitch.

Absinthe
07-09-2004, 08:32 AM
ra1s if you go to the track...

this really isnt a practical idea those tires will last lest thatn 5k on the street in most cases and are outright dangerous in the rain.

Like Bevo said 225 falken azenies. take the cash you saved and buy something else cool

JanSolo
07-09-2004, 08:52 AM

I just got a set of these and I am quickly finding that they are a very suitable replacement for the Advans. They just needed a little breaking in before they gripped the way I wanted them to.

hagakure
07-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Whatever you do, do NOT get the AVS ES-100 tires. They offer about 40% of the grip of the advans in the dry. I use them as a winter tire, and they are ok for that, but any spirited driving in warm dry condtions is out of the question.

Percy Howard

Takashi
07-09-2004, 09:21 AM

I just got a set of these and I am quickly finding that they are a very suitable replacement for the Advans. They just needed a little breaking in before they gripped the way I wanted them to.

and someone a little while back clued me in that they can be had for a decent price at edgeracing.com fyi.

notravels10
07-10-2004, 09:58 PM
thanks guys.gave me some good ideas but i think it will be a tuff choice.i would like the advans but for some dum reason i wanna try a new tire.i check out the falkens and i like them.The toyos also rate well.im gonna get grey hair over this.lol

BUDLoNG
07-10-2004, 10:19 PM
i have the yoko av100;s and yes,.. they are no where near as sticky as stock advans..

no where

Ricardon
07-21-2004, 02:40 PM
The RA-1's will last a bit longer than 5k on the street. They'll last about 5k and 3 or 4 track days I'd wager, but I'll let you know how it goes as that's what I'm doing. The Azenis are sold at a crackhead price, have very rediculous amounts of grip (especially when considering the price) and last a decent amount of time. Both the RA-1's and the Azenis SUCK in the rain. My current hookup for the Azenis is about $107- Azenis Sport (225/40 or 245/40) and $160- RA-1 (235/40 or 255/40)

Chris in SD
07-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I have the T-1S in 245/40/18 and they've been a very good replacement. If I had kept my 17s, I would have gone for the Advans again.

GokuSSJ4
07-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I would spend the extra money and go for the stock Advans or the Bridgestone S03s.

You might save a few hundred bucks going with those other options (not including the Toyo RA1s) but then you're going to be driving around for almost a year (or so) with the sub-standard tires!
im going to check out the Brigestone S03 see how they perform, i need something that will last a lot longer then the advans. I dont need to change tires once a year :?

drmosh
07-21-2004, 06:48 PM

im going to check out the Brigestone S03 see how they perform, i need something that will last a lot longer then the advans. I dont need to change tires once a year :?

S03 will not last as long as the Advans... they are actually softer compound.

GokuSSJ4
07-21-2004, 08:19 PM
damn , now i need to look at my options again . I need something that will at least last 2yrs . i was considering the azenis but after what happen to rob :shock: i will go with another option.

leaveit2bevo
07-22-2004, 12:39 AM
ya im just going to buy the advans again fuck it nothing beats those tires.

drmosh
07-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Hey, Paul used those Futura's from Pep Boys on the track, didn't do too bad... those are like $90 each and will definitely last a lot longer than the Advans...

Ricardon
07-22-2004, 07:28 PM
AZENIS SPORT 225's!!!!

Tarmac02
07-23-2004, 11:59 AM
anyone run the AVS Sport or AVS ES100?

no I'm not in the need for new tires after only 3000 miles... just thinking into the future

apexstrafer
07-23-2004, 12:58 PM
yeah - I ran the avs sports - only because I got em for free - after my advans wore out.

they're not exactly the grippiest tires out there, and nor are the sidewalls very stiff. in fact, they're like driving on greased marshmallows. if you do any "spirited driving" at all, I'd pass on them. unless you live where it rains everyday, because they absolutely kick ass in the wet. oh, and they didn't last very long either. but that could have something to do with the fact that the decreased grip didn't really slow me down much - it just made me drive a lot more sideways.
:skid:

showard232
07-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Try some Azenis Sports in 245/45/17 at 36psi all around; you'll stick like velcro.

apexstrafer
07-23-2004, 02:28 PM
I hate the azenis sports. I have them at the moment. sure they grip pretty well (at first), but they're more sloppy than the avs sports. if the avs sports are like greased marshmallows, then the azenis would be velcroed mashed potatoes.

kipper215
07-23-2004, 02:50 PM
just some off the internet about Toyo ra1 \

The tread compound on the Proxes RA-1 is designed to operate under racing conditions.
To achieve optimum adhesion levels the tread must operate within a narrow temperature range.
This temperature range is very difficult to achieve under legal and normal street operating conditions.
The Proxes RA-1 tire starts with a tread depth of 8/32 of an inch which is approximately 2/3rds of the depth of a premium all season tire.
The combination of shallower tread and temperature sensitive tread compound requires the user to be fully aware of the performance limitations of the tire under normal legal street use.
The performance limitations are particularly evident during low ambient temperatures or during times of the year when the ambient temperatures fluctuate considerably as in the spring of fall periods.
Wet performance limitations are also evident on damp or wet roads when operating outside the optimum temperature envelope of the compound and when the tire is at less than full tread depth.
Winter or cold weather storage of the Proxes RA-1 is important. The tire should never be stored during the off season in temperatures lower than 0 degrees C. The tires should not be stored in an inflated condition. The optimum is completely deflated.
Do not store tires close to the source of ozone producing equipment or where electronic welding is taking place.
If tires are stored outside they should be covered to ensure that they are not in direct sunlight.

CA_EVO8
07-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I've been using the Falken 245/45 ZR 17's on my EVO as DD's for the last 15K miles...so I know them pretty well. The sidewalls are NOT as stiff as the Advans and so they tend to allow more body roll...however the Falkens are everybit as "sticky" as the Advans and last MUCH longer. If you are interested in a good sport tire that you can launch at 6,500 rpm on, take on a spirited drive up Palomar mountain, and a tire that costs half the price of the Advans, then the Falkens are a great choice. Obviously alot of others think so as the current backorder wait is three weeks! If you are looking for the ultimate racing tires...try "R" compounds like the Toyo RA-1's, the Hoosiers, or perhaps even a set of Advan A048 (if you can find them) which btw, are far superior to the 46's...just don't expect them to last very long! Over the years I have driven many different types of sport tires Bridgestone S0-2's, Goodyear F-1's, Michelin Pilot sports, and Toyo T-1S's. Imho, the differences between them all are subtle at best.

WOT
07-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Any idea why the goodyear F1 GS-D3's rate so well in various tire forums???

On paper, the F1's are 3rd to the advans (2nd was BFG KDW2's) in the cornering & steering to the A-046's. The F1's are considerably quieter, will last longer & will give you a smoother ride if thats a concern, it is for me!

If you dont mind the sound & harsh ride driving to the tire store to buy new advans, get them again!

A lot of people talk highly of the Falkens..........who knows......I also remember someone in this forum claiming "get this xyz" tire, they're the best", he goes to the track & a couple days later post "these xyz tires suck" So be careful with your decision.

Toyo T1's are compearable to the F1's on paper in dry grip, cornering & steering feel, but are noisier & wear out quicker than the F1's. A guy here at work say's the Toyo's are about the lightest tire out there..FYI

Try & find somebody with an evo with tires your interested in & get a ride.

Good luck deciding!!

Absinthe
07-23-2004, 03:27 PM
good advice

Tarmac02
07-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Well I love my Advans... just going through them a little fast...

How are the 235/45 KDWs?

drmosh
07-23-2004, 06:27 PM
No one is disputing the fact that the Falken Azenis Sports are not shabby at all on DRY pavement, but even in slightly wet weather, they are spin city...

Tarmac02
07-23-2004, 10:37 PM
I had falkens azenis on my wrex and really liked them....

but KDW might be on my list since they aren't too expensive

drwn kix
07-23-2004, 11:27 PM
I got twisted by an interesting drive in the snow and price and wear issues so I replaced my worn out Advans at 16000 with Kumho ASX 245:45-17. At 32 psi they howl at only half fast. The flexibility took away that wonderful crisp turn in of the Advans. I need another set of wheels with Advans. These tires really changed the feel of the car for the worst.
Should I run more pressure?

bogey8
07-30-2004, 11:51 PM
I had 24k miles on my original Advans and I finally had to replace them. I enjoy driving fast but most of the time I drive like an old man on the freeway. My car is all stock with 24k miles in 8 months. No problems at all except for occasional 2nd gear grind during quick take off from stop lights.

I researched all the different tires on this forum and others and I decided to go with Falken Azenis ST115. The Advans were great and I would have bought them except they were too expensive. I got 245/45/17s. They didn't have the 235/45/17s in stock and I really needed them that day cause I couldn't take any other day off. The Azenis sports, according to what I've read in this forum, are not as quiet and the ride is as stiff as the Advans. Since I'm not quite ready to go to the tracks yet, and the Evo is my daily driver (100 miles a day) I needed comfort more than performance. When I'm ready for the tracks, I'll get another set of Advans.

My first reaction when I drove off the shops' parking lot was "This tires are quiet!". At the first turn, I tried to go as fast as I usually go on the Advans. My excitement turned into "This tires suck!"

But after 2 days of driving them, I'm beginning to like them. I can now hear my radio without blasting it. Even with the windows down, my wife said she could hear me better over the cell phone.

I'm starting to get used to the softer ride. They are still very grippy tires just can't get the same precise response like when I had the Advans on.

The bonus is they are supposed to last longer than the Advans. Not that it would really matter considering how slow I drive and how many miles my Advans lasted. 45-50k miles on Z-speed rated tires wouldn't be too bad. I guess I'll find out in 1 year if the treadwear rating is true.

leaveit2bevo
07-31-2004, 01:35 AM
damn 24k on stock advans is that a record?

drwn kix
07-31-2004, 07:17 AM
I'm an old man myself who drives 80% on the freeway but mine were gone at 16000. Offramps and transitions were taken like turn 10 at Willow however and I do enjoy my once a month trips to Big Bear.

Stelios
09-29-2004, 03:31 AM
ADVAN FOREVEN.
Dont try
EAGLE FI
DUNLOP SPORT MAX
BRIG SP03 (need time to get hot)

Try the
PIRELLI CORSAS

drwn kix
09-29-2004, 08:45 AM
I bumped the pressure on my Kumho's to 36 psi all around and improved them a lot but they still aren't as good as Advans. My advice is: if you are going to replace your Advans with something else when they wear out or winter comes then sell them now (to me) and never drive on them. If you drive on them everything else will seem wrong.

GokuSSJ4
09-29-2004, 08:48 AM
i havent decide what size of tire i will go with
but brand wise i will get the BF Goodrich KD's is about the same tire as the advans with a little more life to it almost same cornering Stability and Steering Response.
im considering 245/40/17 which can be found near 160.00 a tire
or 255/40/17 which are 210.00 a tire for a stock rim. 17x8

toku-one
09-29-2004, 11:52 AM
does anyone know life expectancy of most of these tires?

i drive 3000 miles a month on average and i dont want to be basically budgeting $100 a month for a tire replacement fund.

i bought the car with metal showing worn azenis on it (so ive never known the grip of advans or azenis)
and went straight to what i was used to (and $90 a tire, since i was paying tax/registration/"downpayment" out of my pocket) kumho supra 712

didnt mean to hijack, just looking for some additional info

drmosh
09-29-2004, 12:00 PM
does anyone know life expectancy of most of these tires?

i drive 3000 miles a month on average and i dont want to be basically budgeting $100 a month for a tire replacement fund.

i bought the car with metal showing worn azenis on it (so ive never known the grip of advans or azenis)
and went straight to what i was used to (and $90 a tire, since i was paying tax/registration/"downpayment" out of my pocket) kumho supra 712

didnt mean to hijack, just looking for some additional info

You can lookup treadwear ratings on Tirerack.com or Tires.com or any other handful of sites. Longest wearing tires are usually in the 300s because the rubber is harder.

toku-one
09-29-2004, 12:44 PM
wow, those Kumho ASX have a tread wear of 420.

Absinthe
09-29-2004, 12:49 PM
michelin Pilot sport AS has tread wear of 400, and are holding on my frinds M5 21,ooo miles in.

drwn kix
09-29-2004, 12:55 PM
but brand wise i will get the BF Goodrich KD's is about the same tire as the advans with a little more life to it almost same cornering Stability and Steering Response.

There are so many possibilities and mod levels. Don't just look at the size. Look at the tread width and total width. They differ between brands and models. I run 245:45 Kumho ASX with no touches on an unlowered EVO. This tire is slightly taller and wider than stock. 245:40 is slightly shorter of course, lowering your overall gear ratio. Tire pressures make a big difference. Robi runs huge tires on a lowered car with rolled rear fenders and limitations on camber. 8)

I'm sure that if you never got to drive on 3/4 worn Advans many tires will feel fine. :wink:

Evo-8
09-29-2004, 02:32 PM
im really happy with my kdw'2's {aka NT's} they last long and are great in warm and cold. But i head the KD's are amazing handling tires but dont last as long.+

GokuSSJ4
09-29-2004, 02:38 PM

There are so many possibilities and mod levels. Don't just look at the size. Look at the tread width and total width. They differ between brands and models. I run 245:45 Kumho ASX with no touches on an unlowered EVO. This tire is slightly taller and wider than stock. 245:40 is slightly shorter of course, lowering your overall gear ratio. Tire pressures make a big difference. Robi runs huge tires on a lowered car with rolled rear fenders and limitations on camber. 8)

I'm sure that if you never got to drive on 3/4 worn Advans many tires will feel fine. :wink:

im sure, well the 245/40/17 and 255/40/17 are both the same brand and same model BF goodrich KD's, Bevo at the moment has the 245/40's and he enjoys them.
i was planing 255 model if i can get away to run them on the stock rims, if not 245's will be the way to go

Evo-8
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
i think 255 is kinda pushing it on the stock rims.

Absinthe
09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Mueller says they fit but I bet you might need to adjust the fenders alittle

Evo-8
09-29-2004, 04:11 PM
and im sure they would cut down our already limited turning circle.

GokuSSJ4
09-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Mueller says they fit but I bet you might need to adjust the fenders alittlebefore i purchase my tires i will have my rear fenders roll. So im able to fit 255/40/17 :mrgreen: i just didnt know if it was a bit to much to run them on a 17x8 rim, since there made more for 17x8.5

j_nizzle
09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
wth...255? damn! i have 245 on my 18x8.5 and i think that sometimes is much.

Absinthe
09-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Mueller says they fit but I bet you might need to adjust the fenders alittlebefore i purchase my tires i will have my rear fenders roll. So im able to fit 255/40/17 :mrgreen: i just didnt know if it was a bit to much to run them on a 17x8 rim, since there made more for 17x8.5

all im saying is mueller said it would work are questioning mueller? who has taken you computer?

drwn kix
09-30-2004, 08:05 AM

all im saying is mueller said it would work are questioning mueller? who has taken you computer?
Did you know that part of Mueller's setup is reduced camber in the rear? That takes up tire space. :lol:

GokuSSJ4
09-30-2004, 08:38 AM
i didn't remeber if he recommend it on a 17x8.5 rim which there is no problems when running a 255/40/17 tire.
An what didn't make it easier is that aimtire.com , tirerack and other tire companies recommend at least 8.5 wide rim for this size of tires. I know KD's make also a 245/40/17 which is perfectly fine on a 17x8.

GokuSSJ4
09-30-2004, 11:45 AM
ok i got the answer i need it :)
BF Goodrich KD's 255/40/17's on stock rim 17x8 are my choice
i will purchase them at the end of oct. i will keep you guys updated

Muellerized...
10-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Did you know that part of Mueller's setup is reduced camber in the rear?

Psssst,
did you know that Mueller's set-up can also be _more_ camber in the rear? There is no generic way to set-up cars with all of the combinations of power, suspensions, wheel/tire packages and talent level(or lack of) behind the wheel.

The 255 is quite a bit narrower when mounted on an 8 inch wheel, when compared to the shape it has on an 8.5 inch wheel. It is likely they will fit on Goku's car without any fender mods whatsoever, but he chose to not ever ask me that question:-)

When it comes to measurement, one test is much more valuable than a thousand expert opinions.

Chris in SD
10-01-2004, 06:39 AM
And the man speaks....

drwn kix
10-01-2004, 07:42 AM

Psssst,
did you know that Mueller's set-up can also be _more_ camber in the rear? There is no generic way to set-up cars with all of the combinations of power, suspensions, wheel/tire packages and talent level(or lack of) behind the wheel.

The 255 is quite a bit narrower when mounted on an 8 inch wheel, when compared to the shape it has on an 8.5 inch wheel. It is likely they will fit on Goku's car without any fender mods whatsoever, but he chose to not ever ask me that question:-)

When it comes to measurement, one test is much more valuable than a thousand expert opinions.

How do you know? :lol: :lol: I sure love how that sway bar reduces oversteer. :wink: I can't wait for the next step in converting my car from good to great handling. Thanks.

GokuSSJ4
10-01-2004, 08:40 AM

Psssst,

thanks John!!

i should of mention it when you were doing the susp. set up but since at the moment i have stock wheels w/ stock tires for the street and for the track 17x8.5 wheels with stock tire size 235/40/17 RA's (which i will move up as well to the RA's 255/40/17 ) both size the same, for the street and for the track.
Time to buy some tires now!!

drmosh
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM

Psssst,

thanks John!!

i should of mention it when you were doing the susp. set up but since at the moment i have stock wheels w/ stock tires for the street and for the track 17x8.5 wheels with stock tire size 235/40/17 RA's (which i will move up as well to the RA's 255/40/17 ) both size the same, for the street and for the track.
Time to buy some tires now!!

Mueller forgets that sometimes Goku likes to read his own posts, that's why he never asked you...

:P

GokuSSJ4
10-01-2004, 11:49 AM
your wrong on that!! , because after i post it here and nobody had a sure answer, i decide it to email John which the answer was -Hell Yes !!! :cool:

drmosh
10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
your wrong on that!! , because after i post it here and nobody had a sure answer, i decide it to email John which the answer was -Hell Yes !!! :cool:

You posted it here and let the thread grow to two pages before you got an answer from him... again I am right...

GokuSSJ4
10-01-2004, 12:00 PM
hahah !!! i guess :roll: ill post pics once i have the tires , is that better ??