PDA

View Full Version : How the heck did I wear out my rear pads before my front?

Smogrunner
07-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I've been meaning to post this for a while. When I swapped out my pads last month, it turned out that my rear pads were COMPLETELY worn out and I still had maybe 30% left on my fronts. Why would this happen?

Smogrunner
07-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Could it be misuse of my e-brake?

EVO Neil
07-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Not to worry, some vehicles just wear out the rears faster. It could be the thickness of the pads or rotors, heat dissipation, etc.

leaveit2bevo
07-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Could it be misuse of my e-brake?

we have an internal drum so it couldnt be that

mprtklr
07-09-2004, 07:06 PM
maybe you do a lot of low force braking... EBD at work.. the lower force is pushed to the back. higher force to the front. so stomp on the brake more is your answer!!

Ricardon
07-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Seen it happen, but not too often Smoggy. Do you drive fairly chill around town, when you aren't at the drag strip or at the track?

Smogrunner
07-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Seen it happen, but not too often Smoggy. Do you drive fairly chill around town, when you aren't at the drag strip or at the track?

Not really "chill", I usually go around town waiting for those perfect, radar free spots to open her up a bit. Then, of course I have to use the brake before the next radar trap. Lame, but true. Actually, the more I think about it, I do a lot of soft breaking to slow down after joyful acceleration for its own sake. Could that be it??

Bevo, thanks for the tip on the drum style e-brake.

gnulooks
07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Smog, I think its because your always trying to push that brake pedal through the firewall. Most of the breaking is usually done by the front breaks, but you have to remember that they have a lot more surface area than the smaller rear breaks. I think it only makes sense for them to wear out faster.

Also, there is the great possibility that your stock rubber lines are expanding and not working properly, therefore, making your rear breaks work that much harder.

Can you say it's time for SS lines and some Motul 600!!!

drmosh
07-09-2004, 11:12 PM
My rears did the same thing... just bias depending on the way you drive mostly.

Ralliartpnoi
07-11-2004, 01:33 PM
i did a canyon run and ever since then i can hear the rear tires have a quiet squeel while slowing down like the rotors are scratching or something. right now its pretty quiet and you have to listen very carefully. i noticed it because i have a RS. no radio no sound deadening. what else is there to listen too???

trannb
07-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Do you mean your rear brakes are squealing? If so, brake squeal is normal. Just step on the brakes harder.

Nam

Ralliartpnoi
07-26-2004, 05:36 AM
not a squeal, more of a stealthy grinding. heres more detail of it on here http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3295

Ralliartpnoi
07-26-2004, 05:37 AM
not a squeal, its more of a stealthy grinding sound that you have to really concentrate on listening for. then again, i do drive a RS.. and i hear alot of things you guys most likely dont. heres more detail of it that i posted on here http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3295. ok thx!