PDA

View Full Version : Odd brake noises

Chris in SD
07-20-2004, 09:17 PM
I had a slight wobble (maybe some warpage), but nothing too crazy. My pads squeak when cold - again, nothing big.

Lately though, I have been hearing a graunching noise from what sounds like the front right corner. Graunching is like a crunching metallic noise. It doesn't happen all the time and I can't get it to do it regularly. I noticed that sometimes the same noise comes when I turn the wheel, even without braking. It is really confusing.

I thought it might be the caliper hitting the wheels, but I don't have any scrapes or anything on the caliper paint.

Any suggestions? I am going to Kaisho's house on Saturday around noon, so if anyone wants to check it out, swing by.

Edit: The following parts are installed (in case that helps figure it out):
Stock lug bolts
BBS 18x8.5 36mm offset w/3mm spacers
RAYS Duralumin lugnuts
Endless 2-piece 6-slot rotors
Endless SS-S pads (I know they were shimmed and had anti-squeal when they were installed)
Endless stainless steel lines

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris in SD
07-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Anyone?? I am really hoping someone can give me a diagnosis. Maybe I can have one of the XS guys take a look...

leaveit2bevo
07-21-2004, 12:14 AM
well ive been haveing that same problem lately all of a sudden ill hear a nasty grinding noise and it feels like the right front caliper is releasing or somthing and its grinding when the car starts moving again then goes away, I was going to take it down to hb mitsu to check it out. Do you have SS lines?

Chris in SD
07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Edit: The following parts are installed (in case that helps figure it out):
Endless stainless steel lines

I do, but I don't know if that's the problem. I noticed it again this morning without braking. I am thinking something is rubbing or is loose and hitting the wheel or rotor. I need to get it on a lift or jackstands and take a look.

drmosh
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
My Project-MU's do the same thing, check the rotors carefully, front and back, I found out something got stuck in the backside by the plate and created a nice groove in the rotor. Even like a tiny piece of metal or rock can do that.

Chris in SD
07-21-2004, 01:42 PM
That might be the issue - when I can get on a lift, I'll take the wheels off and check the rotors and backing plates... Thanks for the tip.

QuickShifter
07-21-2004, 02:53 PM
The Same EXACT thing happened to me and what it is is a part of the brake pad being worn down(not the whole pad) lower then the rest and it might be to the caliper, check the outer lining of your rotor and make sure theres no wear, change the pad now also, the noise is your rotor being eaten at. IM SURE OF IT

Chris in SD
07-21-2004, 02:55 PM
The Same EXACT thing happened to me and what it is is a part of the brake pad being worn down(not the whole pad) lower then the rest and it might be to the caliper, check the outer lining of your rotor and make sure theres no wear, change the pad now also, the noise is your rotor being eaten at. IM SURE OF IT

I haven't seen any wear on the rotor face and it doesn't only make the noise during braking. This is something else I'll check when I can get it on a lift and pop the wheels off...

Ralliartpnoi
07-26-2004, 05:31 AM
i get grinding noises from my back right tire while breaking softly, its very audible when im stopping at a light from inside my car. doesnt sound like the breaking-in sound when i just got the car. that was like a screech! wherever i went for the first 500miles. but this one sounds like a grinding noise, like i can picture in my head the rotor and something got in between my pad and rotor. i knoe im just visualizing the sound to what i think it is but should i get it checked at my dealer??

my cousin noticed it too while were driving, he said "wow your brakes make sound when they are cold". i never noticed if it makes the sound when the brakes are cold but ill take more note in the future.