PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Marks (getting rid of them)

Blaze
07-23-2004, 05:21 PM
The dealer was nice enough to wash my car before I picked it up. Probably just took a damp rag to it, and that's where the swirl marks began.

Preventing and getting rid of them has been a tedious practise ever since. Anyone have some suggestions? My car is black so EVERYTHING shows.

* What I do now is:
* clay bar the paint after a standard wash.
* use a maguires #9 rubbing compound to smooth the affected area(s)
* wax (carnuba)
* spray rewax (for touch up or top coat)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Blaze

Tarmac02
07-23-2004, 10:44 PM
my buddy who works for GB3K, his wife is a rep for meguiars so I got the hook up on this... but here's what I did with my black wrx to fight swirlies... strip the wax off (use too much carwash or just use dish soap) Under shade go over the whole car with ScratchX and use the new NXT wax... the stuff is amazing. It's also formulated to resist dust, which helps in CA... They have a new NXT quick detailer but I haven't tried it. That's what I used to touch up and add shine with. When using the quick detailer be sure to use a microfiber detailing towel and buff softly.

Chris in SD
07-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Is that NXT the nano-molecule wax? I heard that stuff rules since the wax particles are small enough to fill in cracks, swirls, etc.

I previously used Meguiar's polish before waxing and it got rid of the swirls temporarily (lasted a couple of months).

Blaze
07-23-2004, 11:32 PM
I've not heard of the product. Where can I get it?

nurb2
07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
I just got my Zaino kit in with the Z-5 for swirls. I'm gonna hit it Sunday or next weekend and I'll let you know how it works. I have the same problem as you ... swirled day one from the dealer. I tried the NXT with virtually no change, plus it wore off really fast just like the Gold Class does.

-nurb2-

Tarmac02
07-23-2004, 11:58 PM
The NXT should be available at your local Kragan or AutoZone by now. But on AWJ we got a hook up on a Meguiars detailing kit for 60bones through Jrod. If you stop by check out the Exterior Dress Up forum for details.

Blaze
07-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I take that back. I have heard of that and I actually have a bottle in my garage.

It does work very well to cover up "da' swoil", but it seems to have one draw back (at least for me).

When applied, it seem to leave a residue on the clear coat. Kind of oily and it's a real pain to get off. I spoke with McGuires about it and they told me I was putting it on too thick. So, I've lightened up the application quite a bit, but I still get it.

So, what I normally do now is apply, wait 15 minutes, let the residual cure for another 15 minutes, then remove again. If there is still any remainder, I'll take some quick detailing mist to it.

Seems to be okay.

~Blaze

Boosted
08-02-2004, 12:33 AM
I just got my Zaino kit in with the Z-5 for swirls. I'm gonna hit it Sunday or next weekend and I'll let you know how it works. I have the same problem as you ... swirled day one from the dealer. I tried the NXT with virtually no change, plus it wore off really fast just like the Gold Class does.

-nurb2-

exactly what I was gonna say Zaino your cars guys by far the best way to go

leaveit2bevo
08-02-2004, 02:07 AM
the thing that worked the best for me was clay bar, megiuers color X and then the NXT made my car look like new until I drove it down the street and it got covered in dirt again. Oh ya and watched a megiuers video and it said not to use dish soap to strip the wax because its to harsh.

nurb2
08-02-2004, 09:38 AM
The Zaino helped a little bit but I guess mines too swirled to really make much difference. It's nice and shiny though. I might let a professional hit it one of these days but oh well. I really regret not getting Silver. Blue sucks for dirt and swirls.

-nurb2-

Evo-8
08-24-2004, 10:30 AM
funny with my last car i used to use dish soap for washing the car on a regular basis lol. Good thing i switched to meguires car wash soap when i got ma baby.

Boosted
08-31-2004, 01:45 PM
well I finally got to try out the NXT wax I bought this weekend from taget for $14.95 and god damnnnnnn it does a good job even on white my car looks clean...

MAFIOSO8
08-31-2004, 07:54 PM
when i went to the dealership to get my car i was so excited finally i was going to get my dream car and right as the general manager says look there even waxing it for u iwas like noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! so thats how my black car got its lovely little swirls arent i just sooo lucky anyways i tried the the nxt swirl remover didnt really work and im going to try the scratch x stuff from meguiers and im going to have to clay bar my fucking car because some stupid kid threw soda on my new car :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed::pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

nurb2
08-31-2004, 08:06 PM
when i went to the dealership to get my car i was so excited finally i was going to get my dream car and right as the general manager says look there even waxing it for u iwas like noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! so thats how my black car got its lovely little swirls arent i just sooo lucky anyways i tried the the nxt swirl remover didnt really work and im going to try the scratch x stuff from meguiers and im going to have to clay bar my fucking car because some stupid kid threw soda on my new car :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed::pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

That sucks. That's also the reason I'm taking my next new car right off the truck. Mine was swirled from day 1 ... plus it was the showroom car so I know they must have dusted and polished it daily ....

-nurb2-

Tarmac02
08-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Mequiars makes a step by step professional line of products ... one of which is a swirl remover... if NXT doesn't work or any of Megiars products don't give you the desired result call the number on the back of the bottle and they'll walk you through it. Good shit....

Pops
08-31-2004, 10:33 PM
A friend of mine runs a body shop and they use a 3M product called Imperial Glaze/swirl remover.

They put a coat of that on and then Blitz Wax.

I've been using it for years and it works great. I buy mine at an auto paint supply store in Santa Monica on Broadway between 15 th and 16th street.

I always get comments on how new my cars look. Probably similar stuff to the Meguiars.