PDA

View Full Version : New alarm install with built in turbo timer feature

Skiracer
07-30-2004, 08:00 PM
I just got a Viper 791XV alarm installed with the big 2 way paging LCD remote control and it has a built in turbo timer functionality. The thing works great, and can be set to 1,3,5,10 minute shutoff times. While the engine is running, press 2 buttons on the remote and remove the key. Exit the vehicle and arm the alarm. Then my engine cuts off in 1 minute. The only bad thing is that it requires the remote start module to be installed and in order for the system to bypass the clutch when starting the car, the clutch interlock switch had to be pushed in by metal brackets to fool the car that the clutch is engaged. Now, i don't need to engage my clutch to start my car with my remote or using my key. Note, if the car is in gear while you hit the remote start button or start the car using your keys , the car WILL move, so make sure you always park it in neutral. I also have a toggle switch installed to manually turn off the remote start feature just in case i don't want to accidentally remote start the car. If you get this installed, also get a hood pin switch sensor so the alarm can sense that the hood is open. This serves 2 purposes: the alarm protects the engine area. And, if the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the engine "might" start. If you have this hood pin switch installed, the alarm will know the hood is open and it will prevent the remote starter from engaging. Sure beats having to buy an aftermarket turbo timer and having an extra component in the car... :wink:

Dr. Evo
07-30-2004, 08:19 PM
You could have just jumped the wires together at the clutch switch, instead of rigging a bracket.

Skiracer
07-30-2004, 08:31 PM
The installers said they tried that which usually is the way to do it for manual transmission cars, but they said they got a spark when they jumped the 2 cables, so they said there was a short somewhere. Maybe they didn't do it right?

Dr. Evo
07-30-2004, 10:02 PM
They didn't do it right, apparently.

Skiracer
07-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Wow, just noticed what you do for a living. In that case, can you confirm my theory. Will my car move if the clutch interlock switch is physically pushed in and i try to remote start the car or start the car with the keys?
Also, do u know if any bad can come from having the interlock switch depressed the whole time?

Thanks!

alex_alex
07-31-2004, 08:36 AM
skiracer, how did you get the car to start without the key (and the immobilizer chip)?

Also, if youre in SM, where did you get it installed at? Was it a clean job?

Skiracer
07-31-2004, 08:45 AM
The remote start module has a space inside of it where you place one of your keys permanently inside the module so it tricks the car into thinking a key is in the ignition. The shop i went to was Pacific Stereo (310-398-4703) in Culver City. The shop looks like a hole in the wall, but they do good work according to the other Evo owner that referred me and they did a clean job with my alarm. I got the alarm+remote start done for $580. They might be able to swing a better deal if you pay cash. Ask for George and tell him Simon with the blue Evo referred ya. Let me know if you go thru with it.