PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 3rd gear Crunch

budzik
08-01-2004, 09:41 PM
I posted this on other sites.

At low RPM's below 3000 rpm's, when shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear (with clutch all the way down) the gears wil crunch into place, not grind, crunch. If you double clutch it won't do that. Above 3000 RPM's, this does not occur. I am thinking the clutch is not fully disengauging. Or maybe the synchros are acting up. Gear oil was changed with the Mitsubishi diamond gear oil (factory stuff) at 15000 miles. Car has 18000 miles on it and it has been doing it even before the oil change.

Any thoughts? Bleed clutch line, replace gear oil with BG Snchroshift, take the car in to the dealer?

Thanks

robi
08-01-2004, 11:14 PM
BG syncro...solved all my ills and double chech your clutch engagement/release geometry..Your still on your stock clutch right?

VicMarsal
08-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Most likely synchros

budzik
08-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Still on stock clutch, how do you check geometry of the clutch engagement

damianhindley
08-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Hey man did you ever get this fixed??? Mine does the same thing, started at just 1,400miles. Its really to hear if you get to 20mph and just work the shifter from 2ed to 3ed. However it does not do it from 3ed to 2ed. Weird. I plan to take mine in today to get looked at. Some people said its due to the gear cut, but if this was so then why did it shift like buter untill now. Please let me know what you found out. thanks

rino
08-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I think I'm having the same problem, my evo is bone stock. The other day shifting into 2nd I thought it was in but it came out and crunched so I pressed on the clutch and threw it back in and it was fine. I think we have to visit our dealers for this... I only have 3,500 miles.

budzik
08-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Dealer said I had too much fluid in the gear box, not sure how I did that, the angle wasn't that steep, it is notchier now. Still does it though. I disassembled the entire consul around the shifter. The car needs some better shifter bushings.

I still have 40000 mile of warrenty so I'll wait till it breaks.

nijikon5
08-27-2004, 05:07 AM
it only crunches if you shift like really rough.. well, at least my experiences, even without double clutching, you can still shift very quick with no noise, just all in the manner you shift, you're rough and try to jam it in, it'll crunch, but if you shift quick yet smooth, it's beautiful.

Ralliartpnoi
08-29-2004, 07:27 AM
i think i have similar "crunch" shifts that everyone has been describing too, only happens in my 2 to 3rd gear only. if i totally give like more than a second of full clutch pressed down then shifting, like shifting in slowmotion or something. then going into 3rd has no feel like that "crunch".

gg calling this a "crunch", i never could describe it to people, i never could quite call it a grind of a gear. people wouldnt understand me. "crunch" totally describes what it feels like to me. my RS is at around 4500 miles now, started to notice the crunch a few weeks ago but wasnt really paying attention to it. i thought it was just that my hand wasnt throwing the stick all way into its slot since 3rd is far away from me. i thought it was just my error cuz, 2nd to 3rd is a outward throw and i thought the feeling was from not getting the shifter all the way into gear and i was clutching out already while driving

damianhindley
08-30-2004, 04:09 AM
Yep thats it, same here. Its just hard to buy that its normal if it only started on my car at say 1200miles. If you want to really hear it just get the car to 20-25mph hold in the clutch and work the shifter from 2ed to 3ed and a quick movment a few times. Then its scary loud.

Blaze
08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Dealer said I had too much fluid in the gear box, not sure how I did that, the angle wasn't that steep, it is notchier now. Still does it though. I disassembled the entire consul around the shifter. The car needs some better shifter bushings.

I still have 40000 mile of warrenty so I'll wait till it breaks.

Two things:

1. Don't simply wait until it breaks. Document your complaint at regular service intervals. Keep your records, then when it breaks, or when you are close to your warranty expiration, it will be easier to get it repaired as you'll have a history of the problem.

2. Too much fluid? Can your over-fill a tranny? I'd think even if you filled it up with the car lifted on at an agle, sealed the drain plug without levelling, then put the car back down....any surpluss would still drain from the over flow plug.

...Or does Mitsubishi use a sealed transmission like the automatic Audis?

damianhindley
08-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Yeah mine is all documented. The weird thing is that many people have read this post but only a few comented on this. I would like to drive an evo without this problem to see how it is suposted to feel, see if it feels like mine did before this started. The funny thing was that the Mitsu rep said you can drive 4 evo's and they can all shift a bit diffrent based on prior use and date of manufacture. Ok so why is it that every honda civic ex i have ever driven shifts the same. Ever eclipse i have driven shifts the same. I have yet to drive 2 cars and be like hum this one shifts way diffrent than another car of the same make and model. You guys feeling this??? How can an evo tranny be that much more diffrent than any other car tranny, that it would make this sound. Also I am an ASE certified mechanic for the USAF, just so you guys no im not some kid making complaints. I am a guy who has a 30grand car that just wants to be sure things are right.

budzik
08-30-2004, 06:49 PM
It does it shifting slow only at low speeds. I have it documented. I have 40000 more miles of warrenty so I will wait till they disassemble the whole car. Did I mention when the dealer opened up the fill plug to allow the "excess fluid" to drain out, he for got to tighten it!!!

I put the penzoil synchroshift in. The oil is too thin. Shifts like butter, but too thin. I drove an Evo that didn't have this problem. I have 3 qt's of MT-90 in my trunk and will put it in tomorrow evening. Dirty Parts in Culver City sells it, and they stock a lot of the MT-90 and MTL.

sophis
09-07-2004, 01:02 AM
I started to get this 2nd to 3rd gear "clunk" or "crunch" etc in the shifter at the end of the throw about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have a little over 18000 miles on the stock clutch which is holding up just fine. It is most noticeable when I am driving normally, shifting around 3000-3500 rpm. However above 5000 rpm, the shift from 2nd to 3rd is smooth with no crunch feel at the shifter. At a stop, I can shift through all the gears and the shifts are smooth however once the car is moving and I shift below 5000rpm, 2nd to 3rd crunches which is bothering me quite a bit. I did switch to BG synchroshift last week but it did not help. I just want my EVO to shift how it was before :(

Best described from EVOM:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=33940&highlight=notchy+2nd+3rd

Is this the same thing as everyone else is describing?

damianhindley
09-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Hey guys my I just got ahold of my dealership about some parts i ordered and they told me that they have ordered some tranny parts for my 2003 evo. I had the same problem that you guys are talking about but my area rep said all of them do it to an extent. We they told me that a service buliton was released today by mitsu for corect this problem and that my parts are on order. From what i was told they include 1-2 syncro, 2-3 syncro and 4-5 scncro all of whick are a new design to make the tranny shift like butter. Ill get the service bulliton number for you and a few hours.

Ralliartpnoi
09-13-2004, 11:20 AM
hooorayy! so can i goto my dealer and bitch about it to get the warranty to fix it?

Boosted
09-17-2004, 03:18 PM
hooorayy! so can i goto my dealer and bitch about it to get the warranty to fix it?

exactly what I was thinking, I Need this too the only crunch I Have is getting it into first now and then dunno why but it just wont go in as well as reverse in the morning when im leaving my house for school.

but shit if mitsu will replace all my syncros unedr warranty hoorayyy i only have 2000 miles on my car that would be badass

CT9A RS
12-20-2004, 01:17 PM
A lil late on the post but i have the same problem. Sort of it started out as a crunch or roughness getting into 2nd n 3rd. N then it started to grind everyonce in a while.

I actually took it to Mitsu. They warrantied it. Supposedly installed new synchros. I got it back n the problem is still there actually gettin worse. This mornin i super grinded 2nd. Low rpms cuz i was next to a cop. Clutch all the way in. N as i got to 2nd. It just grinded like crazy u could hear it really loud. N i could feel it like vibrated right through the shifter n my arm. I felt my cars pain.

Neways i gotta go back to Mitsu n complain not too mention when i got the car back from Mitsu my steering wheel was a lil off n my car pulls to the right a lil bit now.

-Serge B.

rino
12-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Hey guys my I just got ahold of my dealership about some parts i ordered and they told me that they have ordered some tranny parts for my 2003 evo. I had the same problem that you guys are talking about but my area rep said all of them do it to an extent. We they told me that a service buliton was released today by mitsu for corect this problem and that my parts are on order. From what i was told they include 1-2 syncro, 2-3 syncro and 4-5 scncro all of whick are a new design to make the tranny shift like butter. Ill get the service bulliton number for you and a few hours.

got any updates?

CT9A RS
12-22-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah wheres the update on that. Im beginning to hate the way this car shifts.

bonestockevo8
12-25-2004, 10:35 PM
A lil late on the post but i have the same problem. Sort of it started out as a crunch or roughness getting into 2nd n 3rd. N then it started to grind everyonce in a while.

I actually took it to Mitsu. They warrantied it. Supposedly installed new synchros. I got it back n the problem is still there actually gettin worse. This mornin i super grinded 2nd. Low rpms cuz i was next to a cop. Clutch all the way in. N as i got to 2nd. It just grinded like crazy u could hear it really loud. N i could feel it like vibrated right through the shifter n my arm. I felt my cars pain.

Neways i gotta go back to Mitsu n complain not too mention when i got the car back from Mitsu my steering wheel was a lil off n my car pulls to the right a lil bit now.

-Serge B. Which dealership is that? My car shifts roughly into third as well I believe...

CT9A RS
12-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Tustin Mitsu.

drift_master
01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
yep i have the same problem with mine and everytime i shift from 2d to 3d i can feel it...i tried shiftting in higher rpms to smoothen it out and it works out fine...but sometimes its annoying

Eckolaker
01-22-2005, 07:01 PM
JFC, I thought it was just me. I read the post light night, than had my roomate drive it around the block today. He noticed the Crunch aswell, not always, and at regular shifting RPM's. I have about 1100 miles on the car. Is the a Service Bulletin Number for this?

mamazcookn
03-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm a few months off, but has anyone with this problem get it fixed? I'm still driving around crunching into third gear.

subgraphic
03-18-2005, 12:20 PM

Id like this...