PDA

View Full Version : Mueller JICs

Nynguah
08-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Ok - so I was talking to Tadashi over at Technosquarew a while back and he was giving me the low down and dirty on JDM coilovers. First off, for those of you that don't know Tadashi, the man is an absolute wizard with cars, and has the inside skinny from the major JDM companies.

Anyways, when talking to him about the JICs, he said they were a great setup, but were only really good for about 10k miles or so before requiring a rebuild. Now, 10k - 20k, I don't care. Either way, that's awfully damn fast. I recognize that they're race-inspired equipment, but do coilovers really require that much maintenance to continue to perform? If so, what does that mean exactly? I mean, is rebuilding a coilover going to require taking it off, and then... what? What exactly does rebuilding a coilover even consist of?

Of course, the next logical question is: Even with a 'street' tune, do coilovers make any sense on a car that rarely - if ever sees the track? I appreciate a great handling car (that's why I have an evo), but I've purposely avoided the kinds of mods that are going to significantly increase the cost/frequency of maintenance.

Anyways - post up gearheads. I'm curious whether the Muellers make sense for my daily commuter, or if I should just spend the scrilla on my Pokemon collection.

-Josh

GokuSSJ4
08-07-2004, 10:55 AM
you need to ask [email protected]

Retardon
08-07-2004, 01:54 PM
richee gettig jic mueller

jic jic jic!!!!!

i luv yuo richee

apexevo
08-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Good question. Please let us know if you hear anything from John.

GokuSSJ4
08-09-2004, 10:22 AM
i will stop by RRE today , ill ask him and will post his reply from it.

apexevo
08-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Good question. Please let us know if you hear anything from John.

hksevo8
08-09-2004, 11:11 AM
I would be interested to find out if this is true for other manufacturers besides JIC's as well.

gt40
08-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Anyways, when talking to him about the JICs, he said they were a great setup, but were only really good for about 10k miles or so before requiring a rebuild. Now, 10k - 20k...

What are you talking about? The jic's are pretty robust and last a lot longer than that- 12k on mine and going the same as when I got them.

If you can't offer something, it is real easy to knock it...

alex_alex
08-09-2004, 01:17 PM
gt40, when you got yours tuned, did John mention anything about needed to get them "retuned" or anything over time?

gt40
08-09-2004, 02:47 PM
NO- this is pure fiction

Muellerized...
08-09-2004, 02:58 PM
gt40, when you got yours tuned, did John mention anything about needed to get them "retuned" or anything over time?

The oldest FLT A2 sets that I have set up are 4.5 years old, and no, they don't require rebuilding when set up properly. By 'properly' I mean shocks that are not constantly bottoming or topping out. I have seen countless sets of aftermarket suspensions, JICs and other brands, that are destroying themselves entirely due to poor set up.

The only changes that have been required for my EVO customers is people upgrading to more of a track setting, as they develop the driving skills needed to use the 'track' set up. The advantage of my method of tuning is tailoring the chassis settings to the specific use and driving experience for each individual. After tweaking on hundreds of coil overs intended for use on the street, I can count the total amount of warranty claims on one hand and have multiple fingers left over. Warranty claims are processed here for our customers at RRE, as I stock replacement shocks and struts for our most popular applications.

As far as coil overs being the way to go for street use, my personal opinion is yes, as they allow one to unlock a huge amount of additional grip from your EVO. EVOs with my suspension turn and stop much better than stock, I can arrange for any interested parties to get a ride in a customer car with my settings if any of you would like to experience what it feels like first hand.

Please email me off list with any further questions about your current or future chassis set up.

Takashi
08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
the man has spoketh! how's the buddy club tuning going??

alex_alex
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks John.

Nynguah
08-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks John!

Easy there Mark :P

I was just parroting what I had been told. Tadashi didn't qualify his statements, and they were made off-hand, so it's quite possible he was referring to ricers who buy the JICs from Autobachs and then install them themselves without tuning, which is obviously a far cry from Mueller-tuned and matched suspension.

I just wanted to sound off before I considered spending $2k on something that I could potentially thrash in 3-6 months. Sounds like my fears were unfounded, so mod on!

-Josh

Howie
08-18-2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks John!

Easy there Mark :P

I was just parroting what I had been told. Tadashi didn't qualify his statements, and they were made off-hand, so it's quite possible he was referring to ricers who buy the JICs from Autobachs and then install them themselves without tuning, which is obviously a far cry from Mueller-tuned and matched suspension.

I just wanted to sound off before I considered spending $2k on something that I could potentially thrash in 3-6 months. Sounds like my fears were unfounded, so mod on!

-Josh

Josh,

I have well over 10K miles in my Mueller JIC's and they are just as good as the day I bought them. that being said... GET EM!!

IS2000
08-19-2004, 07:22 PM
I would be interested to find out if this is true for other manufacturers besides JIC's as well.

I heard Tein coilovers generally need a rebuild after about 2 years.

gt40
08-19-2004, 08:05 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/leaveit2bevo/award.jpg

Sorry but you earned it! Read the thread before you perpetuate nonsense...

GokuSSJ4
08-19-2004, 08:59 PM

I heard Tein coilovers generally need a rebuild after about 2 years.
instead of hearing things , you should do some research about it.
Had Teins for over 3yrs with no problems , i have buddies that track the car using Teins as well and they love their set ups and have no issues what so ever. Please do a search before posting incorrect information.

robi
08-20-2004, 12:03 AM
ROBI tested..I've broken almost everything BUT the JIC's and now the BUDDY CLUBS!

tabio42
08-20-2004, 01:45 AM
When John tunes the suspension does he just set up the stiffness settings, ride height and camber or is there more?

robi
08-20-2004, 01:53 AM
that and more...

tabio42
08-20-2004, 09:49 AM
well what is the more? Does he actually take apart the shock and change internals?

gt40
08-20-2004, 10:10 AM
To answer your question, YES. If you use the search function, you can find a lot of info about this as it has been discussed.

There is good stuff on the RRE site also:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm

Then shoot John at Road Race an E-mail if you are serious about wanting to know more and thinking of getting some form of coilovers. He can get and setup anything you want- Buddyclub, Zeal, Jic etc.

If you are serious, email [email protected] for scheduling your appointment, and clarifying any further questions you may have.

tabio42
08-20-2004, 04:46 PM
psshh I don't need to get coilovers

Evo-8
08-31-2004, 07:15 PM
If you guys want a cheap solution thats just as good, if not better than the mueller jic's, have a shop take ur springs off cuz i can't and bring them to me. i have a special method of cutting them with a hand saw i got a really good deal on at a garage sale and ill cut them to PERFECTION. With my custom performance modded springs u can and will out handle and perform the best of them ont he tracks.

Disclaimer: I make no guarantee of any sort. I am not responsible for any damages done to any of your parts or your car. Mitsubishi is not responsible for any damages done to the car. All sales are final

JanSolo
08-31-2004, 11:16 PM
I heard Goku finally got some Mueller JICs. He said they sucked and he wished he never got them. Then he muttered something about Tein Springs felt better and "all show, no go".

GokuSSJ4
08-31-2004, 11:21 PM
thats how you get things started , hmm..
all i can say , ill see you at the track! :wink: bring your SEALS SEALS set up .

Retardon
08-31-2004, 11:46 PM
someday i am gonna have a jic vtec engine like bigg brother richee!!!!!!