PDA

View Full Version : Just had my rotors replaced.

hksevo8
08-10-2004, 06:55 PM
OK, after 9500 miles of normal driving, the front rotors needed to be replaced because of severe warping. Thank God for a warranty. I just picked up the car from Irvine Mitsu (thanks Dave) and once again the car is perfect. At first the dealer was going to just resurface them, but once they were off the car, they said that there was no way to resurface them enough to get rid of the warping. Now my question is why in the hell did this happen? I have not taken the car to a track, so I am not suffering from Brownbos, in fact, I pretty much drive like a puss :driving: . I have heard from other people with performance brakes, that a simple thing like runing your car through an automatic car wash can cause warping to occur (think cold water being sprayed on a hot rotor)....if there is any truth to this please let me know. I am also curiuos to know if installing the brake cooling ducts will help save my rotors in the future?

trannb
08-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Keeping your foot on the brake pedal after hard driving...

Improperly bedding brake pads...

Overtorquingd lugnuts...

Standing on your brake pedal at intersections...

Unevenly cooling (or heating) your rotor...

can all contribute to "warped rotors"

drmosh
08-11-2004, 12:17 AM
A lot of time warped rotors are NOT warped rotors.

trannb
08-11-2004, 03:06 AM
Yeah...hence the quotation marks :)

hksevo8
08-11-2004, 07:15 AM
A lot of time warped rotors are NOT warped rotors.

then what is the cause for my brakes to vibrate when I step on them at high speeds? :?

Chris in SD
08-11-2004, 07:21 AM
My brakes do the opposite - at low speeds or very easy braking, the wheels wobbles like all get-out, but from higher speeds or when I really apply brake pressure, it smooths back out. What gives?

Also, that clicking/crunching noise is always there. Kaisho99 and I checked it out, but nothing looked unusual. Is it from the stainless lines? Is it the Duralumin lugnuts? Any ideas? No rocks, etc. were there, nor were the pads misaligned or worn...

erikgj
08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Most of the "warping" issues are really a spot of pad material transfered on to the disc. Stoptech has a good tech doc on this. Many cases can be cleared up by redoing the whole brake bedding procedure.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Absinthe
08-11-2004, 08:45 AM
My brakes do the opposite - at low speeds or very easy braking, the wheels wobbles like all get-out, but from higher speeds or when I really apply brake pressure, it smooths back out. What gives?

Also, that clicking/crunching noise is always there. Kaisho99 and I checked it out, but nothing looked unusual. Is it from the stainless lines? Is it the Duralumin lugnuts? Any ideas? No rocks, etc. were there, nor were the pads misaligned or worn...

I have the lame issue light pedal pressure shakes like all get out, decent presure up no issues at all?

Im assuming I have some sort of "warping" issue, but i had the rotors turned and put on new pads issue never really went away and its slowly getting worse.

Chris in SD
08-11-2004, 12:20 PM
I have slotted rotors and fairly aggressive pads, so that might be the reason. I have no braking problems, just makes me wonder about that noise.

trinydex
08-20-2004, 03:46 PM
you should warm down everytime... sitting on hot brakes will warp 'em.