PDA

View Full Version : car cover

remond
08-18-2004, 06:11 AM
sorry if this has been asked. i'm not allowed to spend a lot of time surfing the web at work, so i didn't have time to search..if someone could give me a quick answer i'd appreciate it.

i just started a new job in Point Loma (SD) right on the cliffs. I noticed a lot of the nicer cars in the parking lot have car covers on which is a good idea considering we're right next to the ocean. (i have a good view from my office).

has anyone bought a cover for their evo (with wing). could someone recommend a good one that will help protect against the sea air?

thanks,
Ray

Evo-8
08-18-2004, 11:41 AM
the evo car cover is like $220. I personally hate car covers as all they are good for is putting SCRATCHES ALL OVER YOUR CAR! If you have a spec of dirt on your car when you put a cover on, the cover will SCRAPE that spec all over ur car. Imagine having a slightly dirty car, like a light coat of dirt u get 3 days after washing it. That will destroy you. Just wash ur car often and ull be fine without a cover. DONT FORGET TO WAX. One of the best paint protecting thing u can get is a good wax.

Cr0mster
08-18-2004, 12:09 PM
the evo car cover is like $220. I personally hate car covers as all they are good for is putting SCRATCHES ALL OVER YOUR CAR! If you have a spec of dirt on your car when you put a cover on, the cover will SCRAPE that spec all over ur car. Imagine having a slightly dirty car, like a light coat of dirt u get 3 days after washing it. That will destroy you. Just wash ur car often and ull be fine without a cover. DONT FORGET TO WAX. One of the best paint protecting thing u can get is a good wax.

This only holds true if you get a shitty car cover. The fact that almost everyone in my stepfathers Vintage Vet club uses covers when they take their cars on the road is good enough for me. These cars are worth 2x our Evo's value.

I got mine from California Car cover company. They have been making covers for a long time and they custom make each one to your car. The one I got has a soft fleece lining so it won't ever scratch. It is also water resistant and 100% UV proof. This is from their website....

Our covers are simply the best:
Guaranteed to never scratch or we will refund or exchange your merchandise.
We can custom make covers for any application.
Elastic tensioners are sewn-in front and rear to facilitate a snug fit.
Fabrics are precision-cut on computer-controlled equipment for optimum fit.
We provide provisions for cable locks for added security.
Extra wide 60" material used to reduce the number of seams required.
Seams are overlapped and double-stitched for optimum seal and durability.
Materials are tightly woven to prevent shrinkage from wet/dry cycles.
Permeable fabrics treated with 3M Scotchgard for water repellency.

Check em out at

http://www.calcarcover.com/default.asp?flash=1

They are a little more pricey but you get what you pay for. My step father has been covering his vintage vets in em for years. I got a plush weave cover with a duffle bag to store it and the cable locks for $229 thats with tax and shipping.

remond
08-18-2004, 12:47 PM
awesome..thanks for the heads up

Evo-8
08-18-2004, 01:22 PM
No no. Im not talking about cover quality. I NEVER said the cover scratches the car. I said the dirt on the car scratches it. you can have a giant babies ass for a car cover. But the sand/dirt sitting on your car will rub if something such as a car cover is rolling over it. Think about this. Rub your clean hand accross ur paint. Does it scratch ur paint? Of course not. Now put some dirt/sand on your paint, now run your clean hand on the car where the dirt/sand is. Will it scratch your paint? YES. Just wax ur car. Unless the car cover is some magical material that never makes physical contact with your car, its gonna rub whatever is on ur paint surface accross ur car.