PDA

View Full Version : Who's rear sway bar to buy?

WOT
08-19-2004, 04:12 PM
What brand & diameter size rear sway bar is best for street/canyon use?

Any other bushing / link recomendations that should be done @ the same time would be appreciated as well.

I know, an alignment from rre is mandatory.

Thanks in advance.

GokuSSJ4
08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
you answer your own question , in a way. if you are doing the alignment by RRE , why stop there and not get the complete set up . Swaybar , bushings and the alignment.
you should email john about what you want out of the car
[email protected]

drmosh
08-19-2004, 06:03 PM
You don't need a sway bar for street/canyon...

:D

WOT
08-20-2004, 09:19 AM
drmosh- if an aftermarket rear sway bar helps reduce understeer, why not get one? Yeah, I can drive the car in a fashion that doesnt induce understeer, but if one can take advantage of a more responsive mid corner steering input car, why not?

gokussj4- to answer you question, 2 kids, mortgage, preschool, wife, I am no way related to bill gates you get the picture, LACK OF FUNDS.

I am certain that rre would be willing to sell me everything they have on the shelf, but I dont think it's necessary, but I could be wrong, so thats why I asked the basic question & to also get some insight from people who have modded their car in this fashion & what they have used. In saying all that, I have no reason to believe that rre would try to sell something I dont need. I have only heard great things about them.

Maybe I needed to ask a better question: "What rear sway bar are you using & would you recomend it, explain your reasoning".

Thanks for your input!

drmosh
08-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Functionally, they are all similar... it's just how you set them up, stiff, mid, or soft, so mainly they vary in size, stiffness, and of course price... some require modified connector ends...

Your choices include Perrin, Works, RRE, Hotchkiss, and a few more I'm probably missing...

Coolguy949
08-20-2004, 09:41 AM
The WORKS sway bar is aweomse! I've driven it on two evos and it's incredible the difference it makes. It's a 24mm bar, with forged ends, not welded. Very strong, high quality, and makes the car incredibly balanced.

I now carry this on myevostore.com too! Seriously, its a really nice sway bar. I cant wait to get one when i have the money. I didnt thin kit would make that much of a difference, but the whole care seems more controllable. Its really cool.

WOT
08-20-2004, 10:01 AM
drmosh- you touched on several issues which goes into the essence for asking the original question "some require connector ends" or "to soft". I am also concerned about fit as well. Thats the info I am after.

coolguy- thanks for your insight. I have only heard good things about the works rear sway bar.

I wonder what rear swaybar rre recomends for the evo? Do they sell 1 for the evo?

GokuSSJ4
08-20-2004, 11:16 AM
RRE Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

This adjustable rear sway bar will make your EVO much more neutral handling. for better and for worse. Includes new brackets and urethane bushings Utilizes the stock end links $180.00

The stock EVO rear sway bar is 22mm diameter, the RRE rear bar is 25mm diameter. It includes new brackets and urethane bushings. You will re-use the stock end links, they are a ball joint type. The holes in the ends of the bar give three adjustment positions for fine tuning your handling.*

This rear sway will make your car handle better by making it more "neutral". Stock, the factory gives you a car that "understeers" some. When you have the car all leaned over at the limits of adhesion, the front tires have a little less grip. The front end "pushes" some and does not turn enough. From instinct, you let off the gas because the car is not turning enough. This makes the weight transfer to the front of the car. The front end gets a little more grip and the rear a little less, your car rotates and you make the corner fine. All is good.*

All is good except this is not the fast way to drive, having to let of the gas to make the car turn. It would be much faster around a corner if you could keep a nice steady throttle through the corner, gradually feeding in more throttle as you pass the apex and straighten out. The car would drift all four wheels evenly. Nice small inputs from the throttle transfer weight to the front or rear depending on where you want the car to be. A little more gas transfers the weight to the rear and the car goes wide, let off slightly and it sharpens up the corner.* This is a neutral handling car. By installing a thicker rear sway bar (and leaving the front bar stock) you will make the car more neutral.

The down side, you need to be careful of what you wish for. If your car is nice and neutral, when you chop off the throttle suddenly the car can kick the tail out. The* rear bar is made with a street car in mind. It is not a crazy stiff bar, it is even adjustable. There are three adjustment positions. It will make the car more neutral though and you need to keep this in mind.* If you add a front bar, the car will corner flatter and give you a false sense of better handling. Also the bigger front bar will lift the inside front* tire when cornering hard. This will give you less traction just when you need it most. We do not offer a front sway bar.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evoswaybar.htm

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/swaybar/rearbar-compare.jpg

The bar is adjustable. By moving the end links to the more forward holes, you make the bar softer. Moving the end links towards the rear holes, you will make the bar stiffer and the car will be more neutral. Play with the car on your favorite road in the softer settings first. Then cautiously adjust it stiffer if you like.*

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/swaybar/rearbar-adjusted-middle.jpg

An appointment is required. Includes a complimentary Demo/Hell-Ride with our suspension set up pro John Mueller to show you what your car is capable of* if you are so inclined.

for further information contact [email protected]

WOT
08-20-2004, 11:48 AM
WOW!! Awesome reply.

Does the ride over crappy streets change much, get much worse? I have already lost a tooth filling, will I expect to bruse a kidney or 2 next?

Pops
08-20-2004, 02:48 PM
WOW!! Awesome reply.

Does the ride over crappy streets change much, get much worse? I have already lost a tooth filling, will I expect to bruse a kidney or 2 next?

Yeah, but only because you'll be going so much faster. :lol:

I think it only affects the car's lateral movement.