PDA

View Full Version : new tires all I can say is holy shit, advan who?

leaveit2bevo
08-22-2004, 11:26 PM
I picked up a nail in the azenis and no one would patch them cause they are bald so I had to replace them, I dropped some bf goodrich g-force KD 245/40/17 tires on that bitch and all I can say is those fucking things stick to the ground, and the sidewall is super stiff.I havent driven advans in a while but I think these grip better still havent rocked the cayons on them yet though. Any one looking for a cheaper replacement for the advan that is prob a better tire try these I got a better price per tire than even tire rack.

moogle
08-23-2004, 12:05 AM
I want them bridgestone potenzas... I haven't heard anything from the evo community but from the subies they love it.

GokuSSJ4
08-23-2004, 12:20 AM
glad to know that there are other options out there, since i will need tires soon :?

drmosh
08-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I want them bridgestone potenzas... I haven't heard anything from the evo community but from the subies they love it.

Real soft compound will wear out sooner than the Advans...

leaveit2bevo
08-23-2004, 12:45 AM
the smaller side wall 40 instead of 45 even looks better

Cr0mster
08-23-2004, 12:58 AM
I just went with the Yok AVS ES100s. So far I really like the way they handle. The fact that they last as long as they do is a huge plus also. They are quieter than the stock advans also.

nijikon5
08-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Bevo, this was the tire I was considering getting too! glad to hear these impressions, can you shoot me a PM on where and how much they were ?

kipper215
08-23-2004, 07:44 AM
I picked up a nail in the azenis and no one would patch them cause they are bald so I had to replace them, I dropped some bf goodrich g-force KD 245/40/17 tires on that bitch and all I can say is those fucking things stick to the ground, and the sidewall is super stiff.I havent driven advans in a while but I think these grip better still havent rocked the cayons on them yet though. Any one looking for a cheaper replacement for the advan that is prob a better tire try these I got a better price per tire than even tire rack.

the bf goodrich g-force KDW 2 is an even better tire and has a crazy tread pattern. too bad they don't make a 235/40/17 tire. :cry:

augi1
08-23-2004, 08:49 AM
the smaller side wall 40 instead of 45 even looks better

Damn bevo I was about to photoshop your face on a milk carton cuz you been missing so long. your parents finanly make you get a job at the kwik-e-mart?

By the way how much was it for the 4 mounted and Bal.?

GokuSSJ4
08-23-2004, 08:58 AM
so this is the type of tire 245/40/17
can you post Bevo , where did you purchase them from ?
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/gforce_kd_large.jpg

The ultimate expression of BFGoodrich® Tires Traction/Advantage. Near R-compound dry traction and handling in a street-legal tire. Rated "best ultra-high performance tire" by Automobile magazine (April, 1999). Y-speed rated (up to 186 mph).
* "The fastest tires on any production car." - Car & Driver
* Optimized for outstanding dry traction
* Incredibly confidence-inspiring behind the wheel
ratings:
tread wear 5
wet traction 5
quiet ride 5
handling 10

apexstrafer
08-23-2004, 09:07 AM
that looks like the kdw, goku. the kd's tread pattern looks like the a046.

rich had them and I think he liked them when they weren't chunking apart at the track.

edit: doh! you swapped pics on me

GokuSSJ4
08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
you also have these to compare as well ,
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/gforce_kdw_large.jpg

Tires >
g-Force T/A® KDW*
g-Force T/A® KDW*

Incredible dry traction with unflappable wet weather control. Long treadlife. Smooth, quiet ride. In sizes that make it the perfect choice for most of today's hottest sports coupes, sedans, and sport trucks. Y-speed rated (up to 186 mph).

ratings:
tread wear 7
wet traction 10
quiet ride 6
handling 9

* Sizes for most of today's hottest sport coupes and sedans
* Exceptional dry and wet traction and handling
* Available in alternate tread pattern

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/gforce_kdw2_large.jpg

GokuSSJ4
08-23-2004, 09:16 AM

rich had them and I think he liked them when they weren't chunking apart at the track.

yeah i realize that, but before you posted it . i change it already :P
im thinking for a street tire should be great, for the track RA's are it :D

drmosh
08-23-2004, 09:39 AM
On a sidenote, the advans on 17x9 work great!

:D

leaveit2bevo
08-23-2004, 02:00 PM

edit: doh! you swapped pics on me

Rich had the KDW

they were 182 a tire, 850 OTD at Ozar bros tire in santa monica.

apexstrafer
08-23-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't think so, ask him. he wouldn't get a an all season tire...

Ricardon
08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I had the KD...just like you do Bevo. I had them in 245/40 18" on my volks. They were $250/tire at the time. They have excellent grip...don't drive them in the rain becuase I think my shaved RA-1's grip better in the wet than those things did hahaha. It's a very soft compound, really sticky, very nice...right up until I destroyed 2 in about 5 minutes on the track. I put one session on them after about 1k miles on the street and they just fell apart. Unlucky maybe, but I don't have that kind of scratch to be spending all the time. Oh, this was also the most uncomfortable tire I have ever driven for tooling around town (even the michelin pilot sport cup was quieter and softer). There are a lot of folks that swear by this tire...my experience was not that great.

GokuSSJ4
08-23-2004, 04:41 PM
damn that sucks , they will not hold in the rain . but how about the KDW they still offer great handleing and wet traction as well.

Chris in SD
08-23-2004, 07:29 PM
I remember me chewing Rich up on those KDs until they got to temp... LOL

I've had the T1-S Toyos for a little while now and they're a good combo of grip and durability.

Ricardon
08-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah chris, the KD's were pretty tough to drive that day in the canyons when cold, when I got some heat into them different story altogether. Don't get me wrong, the tire has about the best grip that any street tire can afford. It is a serious tire for serious people. I feel that serious needs to be explained a bit though. Serious is not caring about ride quality, road noise, wet traction, or durability. These are areas where the KD is found seriously wanting. Huge on grip though, phenomenal once they heat up. However I just cannot bring myself to justify the purchase of this tire over anything else on the market. If you want something more economical for the street that still gives great grip in the dry (not quite as good though), yet costs less than half as much and will last a shade longer, then go with the Azenis Sport (in a 225 stretched on the wheel as we have found that the 245 seems a bit too soft on the sidewall). You can use these on the street and not give up too much in the area of performance, I mean the levels at which a person that still has a shred of fear of the police or canyon cliffs will be reaching. Then you run your Hoosiers or DOT R of your choice at the track. I'd say that a much better alternative to the KD as a dual-duty tire would still be the Toyo RA1 (DOT R). I am running RA1's on the street right now, have a fairly aggressive alignment (You know who) and they are holding up like champs. Then again I don't drive but about 8 miles a day so take that with a grain of salt. The point is that if you are aggressive enough to want the max performance dry tire you can get, I really don't see an alternative to running an RA1, as they will last just about the same amount of time and they only cost $130/tire!!!

Goku - I have never run the KDW, but I hear it does well in the rain. I hear that most prefer the S-03 Pole position for the wet stuff however.

Tips for deciphering the model numbers: KD (D=Dry), KDW (W=Wet), KDWS (WS=Wet and Snow).

leaveit2bevo
08-23-2004, 10:44 PM
I thought the azenis gave up way to much on street and street shaved RA-1 are not going to last very long

GokuSSJ4
08-24-2004, 08:35 AM
with the way you drive bevo :? i wonder how much milage you can get out of the KD

Tarmac02
08-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Think I may be picking up the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 soon.... 5k miles and 3 trips to Palomar have all but killed the Advans. I don't have the dough to be buying new tires every 5k miles so the PS2s 2 different compounds to balance grip and durability really appeal to me. Little cheaper than the Advans as well.

Ralliartpnoi
09-05-2004, 02:02 PM
post a pic of those michelins i wanna see those

GokuSSJ4
09-05-2004, 09:32 PM
which tires would you recommend that are 255/40/17 ??

leaveit2bevo
09-05-2004, 11:57 PM
KD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GokuSSJ4
09-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Bevo-
i want to see how long yours last.

8-AGAIN
09-06-2004, 01:56 AM
I have the azenis sports and they are way soft on turn in and their heavy as lead. Also i can do 360's with about a 2 by 2 patch of water on the ground. Any hint of water and those things wana break loose. If you slow down your cool but iduno about freeway speeds in the rain on these things, im not gonna risk it. I think the ps2 will be a good comprimise so im leanin towards those. Or you could always get the best street tire available(IMO),ADVAN,and baby those suckers. Azenis sports are not a good idea with winter on its way.

Ralliartpnoi
09-06-2004, 11:29 AM
hey, our rims are 17x8.5 right? uhmm yeah another question... is 235/45/17's the only size that can fit on our rim? can i go wider?

I like the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW2's, they are the number one on my list of replacements to be. I compared their stats to our stocks yoko's on TireRack.com and the g-Force's are pretty similar to the A046. anybody got feedback on em?

leaveit2bevo
09-06-2004, 11:53 AM
ya you can go bigger im running a 245/40/17 kd and some say that running 255/40/17 is possible but I have seen any evos with that set up yet. The KDW arent going to be very close to the advan the KD is probally the closest thing out there to the advan.

Ralliartpnoi
09-06-2004, 11:57 AM
ic, ill try doing more homework on these tires. thx