PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with these tires? According to tirerack they are

Evo-8
08-23-2004, 08:12 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

according to tire rack they are the best. Great dry/wet performance and good treadwear too. Am i missing something?

Or how about the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S? if its good enough for Lambourghini, its good enough for me. And better treadwear than the eagle.

Chris in SD
08-23-2004, 09:38 PM
M+S stands for "Mud and Snow" - Guys back East use these as winter tires. The PZeros on Lamborghinis are the strictly dry-weather PZeros like Rossos and the like. F1 GS D3 are a 3-season (no snow) tire. Anything other than max performance summer tires are a waste on an Evo in SoCal. Even the stock Advans hold up great to any wet weather we get here.

Evo-8
08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
i seeee. So the rating numbers are strictley given by average shmoes and winter tire "dry" performance is not compared to summer time "dry" performance. now it all makes sense to me. Thanks fo da info. I was wonder what the hell the M stood for.

Nynguah
08-24-2004, 07:26 AM
I actually am driving on a set of those. I have over 23k on them and they have probably another 20k or 30k on them. They grip well (I've hit 1.1G on them on a mildly banked onramp) and ride nicely. They're a little more predictable than the Advans, and slightly less twitchy. If I were to make a complaint about them it would be that they tend to track a little on grooved surfaces - due mainly to the tread design, I'd assume.

Good tires - I'd recommend them to anyone who wanted a longer wearing tire without sacrificing handling performance.

-Josh

Tarmac02
08-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Buddy of mine just got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires and loves them... there's two compounds on there so you don't kill the edges in turns....

WOT
08-24-2004, 08:40 AM
I actually am driving on a set of those. I have over 23k on them and they have probably another 20k or 30k on them. They grip well (I've hit 1.1G on them on a mildly banked onramp) and ride nicely. They're a little more predictable than the Advans, and slightly less twitchy. If I were to make a complaint about them it would be that they tend to track a little on grooved surfaces - due mainly to the tread design, I'd assume.

Good tires - I'd recommend them to anyone who wanted a longer wearing tire without sacrificing handling performance.

-Josh

Great insight..............so what tire are you referring to since evo-8 mention 2 different tires?

Evo-8, the big problem is that there is "Goodyear" on the side of them & I think a lot of people within any evo 8 forum, dont want to be associated with nascar!

Hell, the F1 GS-D3's according to tire rack, has decent grip, a very quiet & smooth ride, plus should last considerably longer than the advans...

I will get a set of F1 GS-D3's when my tires wear out, besides I think goodyear offer's will a free can of skoal if you buy a set :D

Nynguah
08-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Whoops - missed that. I'm running on the F1 GS-D3s.

-Josh

nurb2
08-25-2004, 09:49 AM
I had a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3's on my previous car ... they are very good tires, but the main problem with them is the sidewalls are too soft. They tend to feel "mushy" under hard cornering. If you read all the reviews on tirerack, you will see many people have that complaint.

Pluses are that they have a good treadwear rating, 260 or 280 if I remember right, and they are supposed to be great in the wet. They do track the grooves in the road, but then again so do the Advans.

Bottom line is I would not want them on my Evo because of the soft sidewalls. If I lived someplace where it rained a lot, or if I did not drive my car hard in the twisties, then I'd probably consider them as a cheaper alternative.

There is just no way they grip as well as the Advans and I can't see them lasting 40K if you drive the Evo the way it's meant to be driven. They are a 3 season performance tire with an big emphasis on wet traction whereas the Advans are a max performance summer tire.

-nurb2-

kaisho99
08-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I have these as well and I like them ok enough. The sidewall can be a little mushy but as others have said they have an extremely good tread life which is what I was looking for.

If these are going to be your only tires (i.e you don't have a set a track tires) I would probably look elsewhere. I find them fine for normal daily driving with a little spiritedness thrown in, but don't think they'd be all that great at the track if that's your thing.

They do have great wet traction though (but how often does it rain around here?). My buddy tracked them when it happened to be raining at SoW and he was the only one NOT spinning out. Again rain days are going to be in the minority for us.