PDA

View Full Version : winter tires in Big Bear Mountain area

Skiracer
08-24-2004, 06:50 PM
I know its a bit early in the season to think about snow, but just wondering about the regulations about snow tires in the big bear mountain area. I read on Big Bear's website, on snowy days, they require tire chains for 2 wheel drive vehicles and for all wheel drive vehicles, they require "winter" tires. Do they really check to see if you have "winter" tires on your car/suv? Is their a special code on the tire that tells the road inspectors that its a winter tire? I don't feel like switching my summer/winter tires every weekend, so just wondering if an "all season" tire will work on days where they have tire restrictions.

trannb
08-24-2004, 11:06 PM
When I had the GSX, they just checked to make sure that I didn't have summer tires. They also asked me three times if I was sure the car was all wheel drive. Regardless of the type of tire you have on your car, you need to carry chains with you if they're checking.

Last season, there were only 2 or 3 chain days. It's certainly not worth a dedicated winter tire in my opinion.

Nam

pangaroo
08-24-2004, 11:46 PM
You may need tires with an M+S rating on them. last year I called around and asked about it, and they pretty much said, M+S will cover you 90+ % of the times. Once in a long while you may need severe snow rating, and once ina blue moon they will reguire chains on ALL vehicles regardless.

My thought was, unless I live there, there is no way in hell I'm going there when its a friggin blizzard. I'll go the day after :D

As for the M+S tires, I got the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. They are pretty crappy compared to the stock advans on dry pavement, but I actually found it pretty damn stable while trying to make donuts in the Mt. High parking lot with a very light coating of snow. I thought I'd be slippin and sliding everywhere, but half the time I caught traction as soon as I lifted off the throttle.

Hope this helps. Basically both Mt High and Big Bear both told me to just get the all season with M+S considering I head up the mountains about 10 times a year.

ReHeat
08-25-2004, 12:50 PM
You might want to check out Continental Extreme Contact. I have those when I go up to Big Bear, doesn't grip as well as Advan in dry road but works great in wet and icy road. People in the east coast gives it great reviews too.

Skiracer
08-25-2004, 04:10 PM
So, do they actually check tire ratings when i go up to big bear on snowy days? Will they take the M+S rating? I plan on getting another set of rims to use for "winter", but prefer not to have "snow" tires because i think i'll kill the tread too fast driving in warm, sunny roads on the way to big bear.

I had the Continental Contact Extreme tires on my Honda Accord when i lived in NJ and they were pretty good in the snowy/rainy weather out there. They were rated pretty high on tirerack.com survey and very reasonably priced.

The Pirelli PZero Nero M+S also got the TOP rating on tirerack.com for ultrahigh performance all season tires.

drwn kix
08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
They do check. You should carry cables as well just not put them on. I can testify to the strangness of Advans on snow. I am currently using Kumho ASX, 245:45-17. In the dry they are just rim protectors. (something to keep the rims from getting damaged until you get some tires).

Skiracer
08-27-2004, 10:45 AM
They do check. You should carry cables as well just not put them on. I can testify to the strangness of Advans on snow. I am currently using Kumho ASX, 245:45-17. In the dry they are just rim protectors. (something to keep the rims from getting damaged until you get some tires).

I have cables from my Honda Accord. Should i just throw those in the trunk to keep them happy or will i one day actually need to use them and i should buy cables designed for my car?

drwn kix
08-27-2004, 04:13 PM
I don't know you so it is hard to say. I never plan on putting them on my car but I am experienced in snow and run four season tires.

Skiracer
08-27-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm experienced driving in snow myself since i came from the east cost. But on occasions they have restrictions on the roads near big bear when it snows when they say "chains and/or snow tires" are mandatory.

drwn kix
08-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I believe that the law is that you must have either snow tires with chains in the trunk or chains mounted. I will check with my son who owns Bear Valley Bikes and post his answer here.

Skiracer
08-30-2004, 05:41 PM
I believe that the law is that you must have either snow tires with chains in the trunk or chains mounted. I will check with my son who owns Bear Valley Bikes and post his answer here.

Thanks i'd appreciate if you can check!

drwn kix
08-31-2004, 11:10 AM
I checked with my son. In snow conditions you have to have snow tires and four wheel drive or all wheel drive and chains or cables in the trunk. For two wheel drive cars or tires not rated for snow you must have chains or cables installed.
They will ticket you.

Skiracer
08-31-2004, 12:05 PM
I checked with my son. In snow conditions you have to have snow tires and four wheel drive or all wheel drive and chains or cables in the trunk. For two wheel drive cars or tires not rated for snow you must have chains or cables installed.
They will ticket you.

What if i have M+S rated tires on my Evo during road restriction days?

drwn kix
08-31-2004, 12:12 PM
I think that those are fine but you still have to carry chains or cables.

Evo-8
08-31-2004, 01:02 PM
forget snow tires man. I went up there in a snow storm to go snowboarding and the stock advans did GREAT. Granted i wasnt flooring it but to just drive around i had no problem. I drove through 1.5 foot tall snow just to see if i could and sure enough had no problem even after stopping for 10 mins in it. Also no problem on the iced up ramps and stuff. Ur best bet is to just get a set of chains and keep them in ur trunk "just in case" but u should be fine on stock tires.

drwn kix
08-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Sorry but the CHP and Sheriff may not agree. Also, I drove my car to Big Bear in the snow and thought it felt dicey and much worse after they were 3/4 gone.
If you search posts in Evolutionm you will find that no one recommends putting chains or cables on Advans because they are too soft and will get damaged.
You can drive on almost any tire if you are cautious enough but the man may not let you.

Skiracer
08-31-2004, 04:22 PM
So, if i have M+S rated tires, should i just carry the cables from my Honda Accord in the trunk just to keep the police happy or should i go out and purchase cables designed for my car because i may have to one day use them?

drwn kix
08-31-2004, 04:31 PM
So, if i have M+S rated tires, should i just carry the cables from my Honda Accord in the trunk just to keep the police happy or should i go out and purchase cables designed for my car because i may have to one day use them?
Thats what I do. :D

Skiracer
08-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Cool, then looks like for the winter i'll be buying the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires since they have an overall ranking of #1 in Tirerack for Ultra High Performance Tires. Plus, they have a 400AA treadwear rating, so they should last a long ass time. I'll just keep the cables designed for my Honda Accord in the trunk to keep the cops happy :twisted:
Thanks for your help!

drwn kix
08-31-2004, 05:20 PM
I envy you those tires. My Kumho ASX's cost 1/3 as much, will wear 50% longer but oh how I miss my Advans.

Ruri
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know if a M+S like the Pirelli PZero M+S will be ok to go up to Mammoth.

GenerAznX
01-01-2006, 10:41 PM
yes, they will be fine.

Ruri
01-03-2006, 11:49 PM
yes, they will be fine.

395 was closed because of an avalanche yesterday... How many inches of snow are these tires good till?

white9
12-08-2007, 08:59 AM
since its snow season and people may ask again i will revive this thread :]