PDA

View Full Version : Aero Dynamics...If any

STiTHIS
08-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Do the Do-Luck or APR front splitters have any sort of aero dynamicical benifits...

I have the MR roof difuser so that means I need come front push down..

Also the APR seems like it covers more underneath, will it fit with Buschur Intercooler..

Does any one have either? Pro / Cons

MrBubbler
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
well i had the rnr intercooler which is the same demensions as buchur and it fit perfectly (apr that is) also with the apr you can angle how far down or up the splitter is angled , Robi has one i think that says alil something somethin

GokuSSJ4
08-27-2004, 12:06 PM
STiTHIS-
you should PM Robi , since he has the same FMIC as you do and ARP parts on his car. To what things you need and what things will work.

trinydex
09-12-2004, 12:42 AM
doluck is just a lip right? it changes the front bumper's lower portion into an upside down wing rather than a flying wing.

apr is a full undertray or at least partial undertray splitter.

splitters are good... keep air from getting messed up under the car. and forces air up into the radiator... hence the splitter naming.

the lip is for incrasing front downforce.

IS2000
09-12-2004, 01:32 AM
I just saw a picture of the British EVO MR VFQ 400. The car comes standard with a CF front lip (looks like Do-Luck). So, I think there should be some aero-benefits since that car will go up to 175mph.

trinydex
08-31-2005, 03:14 PM
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/splitter/splitter.htm

read this and figure out if it does something or not.

Tarmac02
08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
The APR doesn't so much increase downforce,... it reduces lift,... shich will still achieve what you're aiming for

rammsteinmatt
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM
ok

du luck lip- reduces air that gets under car, because it is closer to the ground, and kinda "scoops" air up. scooping air up=downforce. also this directs more air into IC/radiator = cooler car. and since less air is getting under the car there is less ability by the air to lift the car (think riding on a cushion of air)

splitter- splits the air more distinctly so it has to go under the car or over the car, not mill around on the bumper for a while then go one way or another. the splitter, in racing applications is usually tiltes slightly down to get the aforementoned benefits.

verdict: du luck does good and adds front downforce. but the splitter arguably has more capability, not to mention adjustability (fast track, less downforce, more level. tight track, more downforce, more pointed down)

since you're a track junkie (at least your car suggests this) i would reccommend a front splitter mainly because its adjustable, and cheap for WHEN it breaks

what really bothers me though is when people put onthe splitter because it makes it look like a race car, but when its mounted it has a positive angle relative to the ground. this creates lift :uglystupid2:

tarmac-basically yes. increasing downforce decreases lift, and increasing lift decreases downforce, because they are forces negative to each other. (lift = -downforce) (downorce = -lift)

is2000-the reason why the fq400 gets to 175 and we get to 159 (or whatever) is because of the aero advantage of the lip, yes. but mainly it is because the FQ400 has much more power than our car, and this additional power overcomes the drag created by going that fast

DIETER, IF YOU EVER HAVE AERO QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO PM ME AS I AM AN AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT, AND HAVE "SUFFICIENT" KNOWLEDGE IN THE SUBJECT

Absinthe
08-31-2005, 04:38 PM
how about you take your sufficient knowledge and answer my question in your thread gas prices are killing me and I am wonder (at fway speed) how much drag will be saved w/the diffuser.

rammsteinmatt
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
i replied to your post in the thread. diffusers increase downforce. downforce = drag. therefore diffusers increase drag. thats why F1 cars have a Cd of .7-1.2 and we have a Cd of .36, eventhough we have a much bigger car. of course our lift coefficient is ~.2 and a F1 car is -4.

theoretically the diffuser would reduce the drag from the parachuting bumper, but as of yet i havent gotten results to prove that it is reducing drag and not creating downforce. maybe buy the V!shnu diffuser, i looked at it #17 and its angle is so shallow it is neutral if not creating lift (sorry i didnt have a tape measure and level)

if you really want to save gas set the bov to vent at 1psi of boost, and never get on the gas. or just drive a different car that uses less, cheaper gas

also i have to study for finals, because failing a class means i wasted a lot of time and money. you know school for an aeronautical engineer is quite demanding, otherwise there would be more than 30 aero guys graduating this year from cal poly (a school of 20k people)

trinydex
08-31-2005, 07:01 PM
The APR doesn't so much increase downforce,... it reduces lift,... shich will still achieve what you're aiming for

uhh... did you READ that link? a splitter makes downforce... by accumulating air above the splitter and allowing freeflow under the splitter which creates a pressure differential with a net force downwards... that's downforce...

ok

du luck lip- reduces air that gets under car, because it is closer to the ground, and kinda "scoops" air up. scooping air up=downforce. also this directs more air into IC/radiator = cooler car. and since less air is getting under the car there is less ability by the air to lift the car (think riding on a cushion of air)

splitter- splits the air more distinctly so it has to go under the car or over the car, not mill around on the bumper for a while then go one way or another. the splitter, in racing applications is usually tiltes slightly down to get the aforementoned benefits.

verdict: du luck does good and adds front downforce. but the splitter arguably has more capability, not to mention adjustability (fast track, less downforce, more level. tight track, more downforce, more pointed down)

since you're a track junkie (at least your car suggests this) i would reccommend a front splitter mainly because its adjustable, and cheap for WHEN it breaks

what really bothers me though is when people put onthe splitter because it makes it look like a race car, but when its mounted it has a positive angle relative to the ground. this creates lift :uglystupid2:

tarmac-basically yes. increasing downforce decreases lift, and increasing lift decreases downforce, because they are forces negative to each other. (lift = -downforce) (downorce = -lift)

is2000-the reason why the fq400 gets to 175 and we get to 159 (or whatever) is because of the aero advantage of the lip, yes. but mainly it is because the FQ400 has much more power than our car, and this additional power overcomes the drag created by going that fast

DIETER, IF YOU EVER HAVE AERO QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO PM ME AS I AM AN AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT, AND HAVE "SUFFICIENT

it is not necessarily so that a positive angle splitter makes upforce, it only makes impact upforce, when the air hits it it will give you a lil net upforce due to the angle... but this is nothing in comparison to the pocket of air it's still holding above, which it holds even better now because it's pocketing and it allows air to pass very quickly, due to the sloping curvature of being pointed upwards, under the car which still gets you downforce. it's a clever balance of doing both. which is what the link i posted already says, you need to make the air go under the car fast... and you need to keep some air suspended above.

Absinthe
09-01-2005, 09:54 AM
i replied to your post in the thread.* diffusers increase downforce.* downforce = drag.* therefore diffusers increase drag.* thats why F1 cars have a Cd of .7-1.2 and we have a Cd of .36, eventhough we have a much bigger car.* of course our lift coefficient is ~.2 and a F1 car is -4.

theoretically the diffuser would reduce the drag from the parachuting bumper, but as of yet i havent gotten results to prove that it is reducing drag and not creating downforce.* maybe buy the V!shnu diffuser, i looked at it #17 and its angle is so shallow it is neutral if not creating lift (sorry i didnt have a tape measure and level)

if you really want to save gas set the bov to vent at 1psi of boost, and never get on the gas.* or just drive a different car that uses less, cheaper gas

also i have to study for finals, because failing a class means i wasted a lot of time and money.* you know school for an aeronautical engineer is quite demanding, otherwise there would be more than 30 aero guys graduating this year from cal poly (a school of 20k people)

good luck on finals.