PDA

View Full Version : 18x10 CCW and 285 hoosiers

drmosh
08-27-2004, 01:19 PM
According to this:

http://features.evolutionm.net/article/evomfeatures/44

He has custom made CCW wheels with 18x10's running 285 hoosiers!

:shock:

http://www.ccwheel.com <-- they make a lot of the wheels for the World Challenge and Grand Am Cup cars....

Ricardon
08-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Too bad those are Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in the picture!

I am seriously wondering how long the hubs on that car are going to last while running a 285. Mark and I were thinking about running a 295-305, but were convinced not to by several people due to the fact that the hubs aren't strong enough to take the stress and cornering loads at track speeds. Not sure if youre gonna get the same types of loads on an autocross course, but it will be interesting to see how those hubs hold up.

drmosh
08-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Too bad those are Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in the picture!

I am seriously wondering how long the hubs on that car are going to last while running a 285. Mark and I were thinking about running a 295-305, but were convinced not to by several people due to the fact that the hubs aren't strong enough to take the stress and cornering loads at track speeds. Not sure if youre gonna get the same types of loads on an autocross course, but it will be interesting to see how those hubs hold up.

Yer right, I knew that tread looked familiar...

Yeah, I wonder if the stock EVO hubs would hold up, I know the RS-6's are running 305's in the World Challenge GT now because the damn car is so heavy it eats any tires less than a 305 width. I think 275 would be enough for a car the weight of an EVO.

wilson1
08-27-2004, 02:24 PM
drmosh,

Didn't you mentioned in the evom thread that RRE has seen a lot of bent rims on 18x10, care to elaborate on that?

drmosh
08-27-2004, 02:29 PM
drmosh,

Didn't you mentioned in the evom thread that RRE has seen a lot of bent rims on 18x10, care to elaborate on that?

2. I believe this to be the tire of choice for the serious track day car, mounted on 8.5 inch wide wheels, excellent compromise between sidewall shape and total weight of the wheel/tire package. The wider you make the inside of the wheel, the weaker the unsupported inside is, making it stupid easy to bend on the 9 inch wheels when run on an EVO on a road circuit. Ask Robi about the 18 x 9 inch wheels he runs, how many has he had to replace cause they were bent to death. The answer will amaze you

It also depends on how the wheel is made though, forged, cast, spun forge, cold cast, etc... These CCW wheels are made for circuit racing, so they may stand up to more abuse but if yer doing enough tracking/racing you are going to bend wheels sooner or later...

wilson1
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the update!

Btw, which tire was john referring to?

Knower
08-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the update!

Btw, which tire was john referring to?

Searching for the likely-to-be-unique-phrase "unsupported inside" turned up the thread immediately. A glance at the thread returns the answer of:

"275/40ZR17 RA-1s on 17x9"

Strider
09-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Ya, drmosh asked, "Anyone try 275/40ZR17 RA-1s on 17x9?"

John's answer:

I believe this to be the tire of choice for the serious track day car, mounted on 8.5 inch wide wheels, excellent compromise between sidewall shape and total weight of the wheel/tire package. The wider you make the inside of the wheel, the weaker the unsupported inside is, making it stupid easy to bend on the 9 inch wheels when run on an EVO on a road circuit. Ask Robi about the 18 x 9 inch wheels he runs, how many has he had to replace cause they were bent to death. The answer will amaze you.