PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: gt40 and others that can fab/weld

Absinthe
09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
I know we have the socalevo under body brace already on some members cars.

Has any one custom fabbed an RS style trunk bar? and if not what do you think it would take to get that done?

GokuSSJ4
09-16-2004, 05:57 PM
I know we have the socalevo under body brace already on some members cars.

Has any one custom fabbed an RS style trunk bar? and if not what do you think it would take to get that done?

why don't you get the RS or Cusco instead of trying to get a custom piece ??
The one that Rich and Mark made was a solid tie bar that replace the 2 OEM pieces.

Im sure Rob (coolguy949) can give you a great deal.

it can be found for $75.00
http://gruppe-s.com/Evo/evosus/cus_trunk.jpg

Absinthe
09-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Dude becuase its $4 worth of high grade steel, cusco must be using some freakin space shuttle steal if the can sell that for $75

GokuSSJ4
09-16-2004, 06:02 PM
PM Rob to see if he can get you a great deal on the RS trunk bar for alot cheaper.

Absinthe
09-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Ok

trannb
09-16-2004, 07:05 PM
No need to weld for the RS trunk bar. It's basically just oval Aluminum tubing with its ends crushed by a vice. Drill holes and voila...RS trunk bar!. If you need metal, I have tons of 1" square tubing (steel), some 1" round 4130. You're on your own for aluminum but it's only $1.99 per pound at IMS (in the scrap metal section).

Nam

trannb
09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Like so...

http://webfiles.uci.edu/trannb/public/evo/RS%20Trunk%20Bar%201.jpg

http://webfiles.uci.edu/trannb/public/evo/RS%20Trunk%20Bar%202.jpg

Evo-8
09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Like so...

http://webfiles.uci.edu/trannb/public/evo/RS%20Trunk%20Bar%201.jpg

http://webfiles.uci.edu/trannb/public/evo/RS%20Trunk%20Bar%202.jpg

can those little bolt really hold all that tension? if so can i get one of those bars for $20?

trannb
09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
can those little bolt really hold all that tension? if so can i get one of those bars for $20?

I just measured the aluminum tube. It's roughly 1.78" major axis by 0.80" minor axis, .065" wall thickness. Basically the trunk bar is a pretty damn anorexic piece. The screws are M10. In the unfortunate event that you put that much tension (or compression) through the bar, I'd like to say that the bar would deform first.

I'll have to check my metal supplier to see what scrap they have in stock. If you don't mind how my tube-crushing job looks, sure you can get one for $20. If it has to look perfect, then no you can't. Two holes at the ends of a round tube are probably just as good. The ends will crush a little bit every time you torque the screws down. Eventually you'll end up in the same place :)

I'm still convinced that a rear strut tower bar would do you more than this trunk bar, but my car came with it so I'll just leave it there. Jeff? Scot? Think the trunk bar does anything if you have a rear strut tower bar?

Nam

Blak94GSX
09-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Don't you have the X brace behind the rear seat backs?

trannb
09-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Okay, I checked with my metal supplier. I can make something very similar to the trunk brace found stock on the RS except that the tubing will be round instead of oval. The tube I will be using comes pre-anodized. You have a choice of Black, Blue, Red, Gold and Green.

I'm estimating the cost to be $10. This depends on if I can make one or two trunk bars out of a single piece of tube. This price should include mounting hardware.

If you want the first one, it won't cost more than $10 guaranteed. The downside is you have to suffer any consequences from being the first one :) You will need to rip out part of your trunk interior. I'm only making these by request to help out the SoCalEvo.net (and NorCalEvo.net) members who want these.

Nam

Absinthe
09-19-2004, 05:00 PM
yeah I would be up for this, function not form right?

drmosh
09-19-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't have trunk lining... but I'm using a full sized spare... dunno if this is gonna fit.

GokuSSJ4
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
i have the cusco rear , you shouldnt have any problems clearing your spare tire. ( i dont know if you are using an enkie wheel though :?

drmosh
09-19-2004, 08:50 PM
i have the cusco rear , you shouldnt have any problems clearing your spare tire. ( i dont know if you are using an enkie wheel though :?

Yeah, I threw an Enkei + old ass Advan in the trunk.

:D

Evo-8
09-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Okay, I checked with my metal supplier. I can make something very similar to the trunk brace found stock on the RS except that the tubing will be round instead of oval. The tube I will be using comes pre-anodized. You have a choice of Black, Blue, Red, Gold and Green.

I'm estimating the cost to be $10. This depends on if I can make one or two trunk bars out of a single piece of tube. This price should include mounting hardware.

If you want the first one, it won't cost more than $10 guaranteed. The downside is you have to suffer any consequences from being the first one :) You will need to rip out part of your trunk interior. I'm only making these by request to help out the SoCalEvo.net (and NorCalEvo.net) members who want these.

Nam

awesome. $10 sounds great. yeah i dont really give a donkey nutt that it wont be bling bling im buying it for the extra X% stability in cornering. Hmm black, red or gold can i see them first lol? I'll come watch u make them and help out if needed. Maybe 'ill just supply u with a sandwich or beer or both :D

trannb
09-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Sorry for lagging on this. It sort of got pushed back...and it's being pushed back some more.

If there is enough interest in this, you guys may just want to try to organize a group buy. NorCalEvo.net got them for $33 including all hardware. http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2042&highlight=

The ghetto way around this is to get aluminum tube, drill two holes, and tighten two screws. Every time you tighten the screws down, the tube will deform in the correct direction, cool.

If you want nice, flat ends, drill the small holes and get a metal bushing. Mount the tube onto a board and torque the screws down until the tube is how you want it. When you're done, machine the holes out to be slots (like the factory trunk bar).

I basically don't have time to do all of the setups. If you guys can get the tube, cut it to length and crush the ends, I can machine out the slots for you. The tube is $7.21 for an 8 foot segment (Anodized in 5 different color choices) at Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine (www.imsmetals.com) The screws were roughly $9 for a 25 pack from McMaster-Carr.

Gear Grinder
09-29-2004, 08:42 PM
When it comes to this trunk brace, is more better? because I could make somthing way beefier then the ones I've seen in the photos. Is there a point where it becomes to much?

trannb
09-29-2004, 08:56 PM
When it comes to this trunk brace, is more better? because I could make somthing way beefier then the ones I've seen in the photos. Is there a point where it becomes to much?

You can oversize and overbuild almost anything. It comes down to whether or not you think the component in question can take the loads applied to it. That being said, do I think the stock trunk brace will buckle? No. Do I think that it's beefy enough? Yes. If you don't, no problem, just step up the wall thickness. You are trading off between weight and the limits of the part. IMO, it becomes too much when you start using rod ends or .120 wall 4130 for this type of part.

alex_alex
09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
When it comes to this trunk brace, is more better?

I love it. :)

Gear Grinder
09-30-2004, 06:31 AM

You can oversize and overbuild almost anything. It comes down to whether or not you think the component in question can take the loads applied to it. That being said, do I think the stock trunk brace will buckle? No. Do I think that it's beefy enough? Yes. If you don't, no problem, just step up the wall thickness. You are trading off between weight and the limits of the part. IMO, it becomes too much when you start using rod ends or .120 wall 4130 for this type of part.
I was thinking of using 1.25" scedual 40 aluminum pipe. with a "Y"configuration on the ends for ragidity.Too much?

trannb
09-30-2004, 07:16 AM
I was thinking of using 1.25" scedual 40 aluminum pipe. with a "Y"configuration on the ends for ragidity.Too much?

Yes. 1.25" Aluminum 6061-T6 Schedule 40 has an OD of 1.66" and a wall of 0.14". It's going to be rather heavy. If you want something that is potentially stiffer, why not go with Titanium?

Gear Grinder
09-30-2004, 06:12 PM

Yes. 1.25" Aluminum 6061-T6 Schedule 40 has an OD of 1.66" and a wall of 0.14". It's going to be rather heavy. If you want something that is potentially stiffer, why not go with Titanium?
Well, I don't think I could aford titanium.
I fab'ed up one today out of 1" aluminum. Cut and welded to contour the rear of the trunk. notched the ends of the pipe and welded in 1/2 aluminum flat bar. The more I think about it though, couldent you just use like, .50 thick, 1.25"/1.25" aluminum angle?
How is the brace bolted in? is it drilled all the way through with a nut and washer on the other side? or is it tapped?

trannb
09-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Self Tapping Screws

Gear Grinder
09-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Self Tapping Screws
Is that really strong enough to support side to side pressure? I mean to say " a chain is only as strong as its weekest link". I guess if they were large enough. Do you know the exact size? in particular the depth.

Evo-8
09-30-2004, 08:28 PM
so no $10 brace eh? i dont care how it looks i just want it to function.

GokuSSJ4
09-30-2004, 08:32 PM
why dont you guys try a group buy like norcal did , im sure you can purchase an RS trunk bar for near $30.00. Remember that some dealers offer Socalevo.net discount

Evo-8
09-30-2004, 09:59 PM
why dont you guys try a group buy like norcal did , im sure you can purchase an RS trunk bar for near $30.00. Remember that some dealers offer Socalevo.net discount

why pay $30 when u can pay $10 for the same thing...

trannb
09-30-2004, 10:12 PM
so no $10 brace eh? i dont care how it looks i just want it to function.

You can still have a $10 brace, you just gotta do most of the work now. PM me if you want me to detail instructions. I just have poor time management skills.

GokuSSJ4
09-30-2004, 11:29 PM

why pay $30 when u can pay $10 for the same thing...
its only 20.00 more and no hassle :roll:

trannb
09-30-2004, 11:31 PM
DIY is more fun :)

Gear Grinder
10-01-2004, 09:05 PM
DIY is more fun :)
I'm bolting mine in, on saturday. Way way overkill. and it was free. Well technically my boss payed for it. :shock: I'll post the pics sunday.

Gear Grinder
10-02-2004, 10:39 AM
kind of a pain to bolt all the way through, but worth the time

file:///Users/danny/Desktop/PA020066.JPG

GokuSSJ4
10-02-2004, 10:45 AM
follow the steps how to post pics
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1214

Gear Grinder
10-02-2004, 10:50 AM
follow the steps how to post pics
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1214
thanks, sorry. Does this mean I have to go back to being a full nuwbie?