PDA

View Full Version : Boost controller? Turbo Timer? Gauges? What to get?

Evolution8David
09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Hey guys, im pretty confused with all this. Right now all i got in the car is HKS bov and hks suction intake. Im planning to buy HKS carbon ti exhaust soon, and i got AFC-II sitting at home, but im not sure what to get with all this next, Like which boost controller should i buy? do i need one? tubro timer, guages? etc. what do i even need? help me out thanks.

JanSolo
09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Getting the HKS bov for your Evo might not have been the best choice. If you get any stalling problems, then the bov is most likely the culprit.

First thing to do is to get your car breathing better. Turboback exhaust - as in downpipe, highflow cat and 3" exhaust is the first thing to get.

Then think long and hard about the type of engine management and tuning solution you would prefer. Can you do the tuning yourself OR do you think someone else should do it? Do you plan on running different types of fuel (100 octane for instance)? How stealthy do you want to keep your car? How much do you want to spend? What power and suspension goals do you have in mind?

I personally don't think that unless you run your car hard, a turbo timer is really useless. First thing to do would be to get an oil temp gauge and figure out if the way you drive actually necessitates one.

Boost controller is a nice solution, but getting proper tuning from someone who is experienced with the Evo might be a better idea. There are a number of reflashes, piggy backs and replacement, stand alone ECUs out there to boggle the mind.

snoop
09-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey guys, im pretty confused with all this. Right now all i got in the car is HKS bov and hks suction intake. Im planning to buy HKS carbon ti exhaust soon, and i got AFC-II sitting at home, but im not sure what to get with all this next, Like which boost controller should i buy? do i need one? tubro timer, guages? etc. what do i even need? help me out thanks.

Boost Gauge should be your first mod. How will you know what your car is doing without it. You may be boosting to 20PSI to 17 PSI and not even know.

hksevo8
09-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Getting the HKS bov for your Evo might not have been the best choice. If you get any stalling problems, then the bov is most likely the culprit.

First thing to do is to get your car breathing better. Turboback exhaust - as in downpipe, highflow cat and 3" exhaust is the first thing to get.

Then think long and hard about the type of engine management and tuning solution you would prefer. Can you do the tuning yourself OR do you think someone else should do it? Do you plan on running different types of fuel (100 octane for instance)? How stealthy do you want to keep your car? How much do you want to spend? What power and suspension goals do you have in mind?

I personally don't think that unless you run your car hard, a turbo timer is really useless. First thing to do would be to get an oil temp gauge and figure out if the way you drive actually necessitates one.

Boost controller is a nice solution, but getting proper tuning from someone who is experienced with the Evo might be a better idea. There are a number of reflashes, piggy backs and replacement, stand alone ECUs out there to boggle the mind.

Per HKS recommendation, I bought an EIDS from to solve any stalling/stumbling issues from the SSQV. It works perfect.

jondukes
09-21-2004, 12:31 PM
does blitz dualTT give accurate boost readings or would you get real guage?

gofaster87
09-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Guages should definately be the first thing you put in. Monitoring the engine is imortant. If you plan on just doing mild mods, a boost guage is the only thing you really need.

500whp
09-21-2004, 07:58 PM
does blitz dualTT give accurate boost readings or would you get real guage?

any electronic reading system will be more accuare than the boost gauge. But you can't always look down at the boost gauge! So boost gauge is almost a must if you have any mod, and race hard!

I recommand you to go w/ Exhaust, down pipe, Test pipe or high flow cat. Boost controller install that w/ ur safc2, if you can tune it good u can get close to 300 or even more i think. If you want to do more than that then u have to start set a WHP goal and work ur way towards there!

sidewaysevo
09-21-2004, 08:00 PM
where can i get that eid thing from hks. how does it work. and is it safe, even worth it?

500whp
09-21-2004, 08:43 PM
EIDS from me! from what i heard it works great!! http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2175

rammsteinmatt
09-24-2004, 04:04 PM
the sport gauges accessory that you can get from mitsu, what does that consist of? is it an important accessory? accurate?

kaisho99
09-24-2004, 04:35 PM
the sport gauges accessory that you can get from mitsu, what does that consist of? is it an important accessory? accurate?

It's pretty lame unless you are going for the all Ralliart look of course.

Consists of a 42mm (very small) boost, volt and oil temp or press forget which. Plus it's extremely over priced for what you get.

SamLee
10-14-2004, 07:35 PM
I have the HKS typeII. I like it for two reasons.
1.all most every time I shut off my car the turbo timer keeps it running between 35 sec and 90 sec. . I don't drive the car that hard so it must be saving my turbo.
2. the type II has multi functions. the best function is the digital speedometer because if you keep your sterring wheel low you can't read the dash speedo.
I have 04 RS with JIC FLA2 coilovers, JIC full Ti exhuast. JIC down pipe,
RMR test pipe, cusco Ti front tower brace, Cusco rear carbon tower brace, perlin 25mm rear sway bar, HKS intake, blitz boost cntroller, HKS grounding kit, KOYO radidator with samco hoses and a voltage regulator.

Next step cams, fuel system, intercooler, aftermarket ecu and of course a clutch.

leaveit2bevo
10-14-2004, 09:51 PM
mbc- dejon tools
gauges-defi bf
tt-hks type 1

gofaster87
10-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Bevo has the best guage setup. The sensors are working on wireless so noone can see the anyhting running into the engine compartment. Talk about stealth, Bevo is the man!!!

leaveit2bevo
10-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Bevo has the best guage setup. The sensors are working on wireless so noone can see the anyhting running into the engine compartment. Talk about stealth, Bevo is the man!!!

8)

GokuSSJ4
10-16-2004, 12:44 AM

hahahaha OWNED !!!!

DoCoMo
12-18-2004, 02:40 AM
any thoughts on the vishnu gauge cluster
that swaps the location with the radio
retail 700$ ?